cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Google Pixel 3 64GB Unlocked GSM & CDMA 4G LTE phone work on Public Mobile?

Nothappy123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't know what GSM and CDMA mean. Will it work on Public Mobile? I'm really after this phone for the camera. My old Canon point and shoot died and I've looked at reviews for this phone's camera and video and it does a better job than my old dedicated camera. I figured might as well go for a phone with a good camera and carry one less thing in my pocket.

22 REPLIES 22

Sdelo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yea it sure will. All Google phones have been unlocked for quite sometime for all carriers. 

@softech 

Lol....compliments will get you everywhere.....😃!! Don't make me blush?!!😋

@Nothappy123   Yes, Google Pixel 3 works beautifully on PM.  Also, the added bonus to getting this phone is that you will have support from @darlicious  should you encounter any issue... She is great  and helpful  🙂

@Nothappy123 

Here are the camera specs...

MAIN CAMERA

Single12.2 MP, f/1.8, 28mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
FeaturesDual-LED flash, Pixel Shift, Auto-HDR, panorama
Video4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS)

SELFIE CAMERA

Dual8 MP, f/1.8, 28mm (wide), PDAF
8 MP, f/2.2, 19mm (ultrawide), no AF
FeaturesAuto-HDR
Video1080p@30fps

You can compare cameras as well on gsm arena....

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3-9256.php

Edit:

I had a d'oh moment in this thread but if it helps.....🤔

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Google-Pixel-3-install-sim-card/m-p/7...

@Nothappy123 

I haven't shot a lot of video (not a fan) but yes pretty much it retains good sharpness in focus and colour.

Nothappy123

Interesting that you mention astrophotography. I have a Zhumell 130 and a phone holder I'm itching to use. The Moto was ok but not enough pixels in video mode for good stacking images.(something I've yet to do) Can you extract single frames from the Pixel 3 video? I guess I should just google it. Need to find out the video file format. Thanks for your help.

Nothappy123

Thanks! My Moto E4 is a Verizon and it seems ok.

What is the video like on the pixel 3? Same good low light performance?

@Nothappy123 

Lol that's why I call it my camera! I have the other two phones to use....

@Yummy 

The astrophotography will use an exposure usually between 30 sec and 1 min. Best with a mini tripod but I have propped up the phone to use it as well with some interesting results....

PXL_20211006_053244482.NIGHT~2.jpgPXL_20211006_053244482.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20211006_051011644.NIGHT.jpg

Nothappy123

The low light performance is what caught my attention. And RAW files. and 4k video. Quite a step up from my dead Canon. I have a Nikon DSLR for "serious" work. But it won't fit in my pocket. Lol.

Nothappy123

yeah... but in black

@darlicious wrote:

I add photos from my camera as well, halfway thru the thread.

Pictures provided by @darlicious, particularly night shoots are amazingly good! Usually in classic camera you would need exposure of few seconds but with her camera it is 1/8 or 1/11 sec.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nothappy123 

Is it this one ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Google-Pixel-Unlocked-GSM-CDMA/dp/B07KSSQQLZ/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=goo...

If it's the Verizon variant  make sure you remove the Verizon sim card before powering it on with no sim card inserted. If it has sufficient power go to>>Settings>>About phone>>Build number. Tap on the build number 7 times in quick succession to open the developers options. Scroll down to the OEM and turn it on.

You can then exit this area and insert your pm sim card to start the set up of your new phone. Turning the OEM on gives you the choice in future if you want to use the bootloader to continue to get updates beyond Android12 for example.

@Nothappy123 

You can compare photo quality (up to the community's limited upload size) in this thread.....just skip the minor skirmish of lounge worthiness at the beginning of the thread.....I add photos from my camera as well, halfway thru the thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Phone-Camera-Action/td-p/704544

Nothappy123

Thanks for the pic! I have the smallest one in the pic.

@Nothappy123 

Most likely not.....you need the smallest size. See below. Edit: Yes you are good to go...

PXL_20211008_132818960~2.jpg

@Nothappy123   Yes, Google Pixel 3 will work here without issue.

Both Moto E4 and Google take nano sim so you are good.  

Nothappy123

It's a Moto E4 The sim is pretty small. It's 1/2" x 3/8"

I googled it... the E4 takes a nano sim. I guess that means I'm good to go?

Nothappy123

Amazon ca has them. I'm not tech savvy enough to know what your post means. Would I need a new sim? I'd order it at the same time I ordered the phone if I need one.

@Nothappy123 

That phone will work perfectly fine with public mobile as that's my new camera. It does currently have a pm sim card in it from my extra data account that I had to reactivate this month. Are you purchasing from a Canadian retailer or American?

Edit:

It takes the nano sim size. Is your sim card a tric-cut? Can you snap it out the micro size frame? ( Not now of course!😃)

Nothappy123

That's great! Will my current Public Mobile sim card in my old phone swap over or do I need a new sim card?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Nothappy123 wrote:

I don't know what GSM and CDMA mean. Will it work on Public Mobile? I'm really after this phone for the camera. My old cannon point and shoot died and I've looked at reviews for this phone's camera and video and it does a better job than my old dedicated camera. I figured might as well go for a phone with a good camera and carry one less thing in my pocket.

@Nothappy123 

You can check for full specs here:

Google Pixel 3 - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

The phone meets all PM requirements.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This phone will work on the Public Mobile service.  All google phones will work.  

Need Help? Let's chat.