cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Xiaomi Redmi 4 4G work on Public Mobile?

turesuh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been thinking about buying a new China phone for awhile, but I'm not sure if the frequencies will work with Public Mobile's network. I am planning to purchase the Redmi 4 4G. I looked on willmyphonework.net, but it says that the 4G frequency may not be compatible. 

14 REPLIES 14

purewater
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm using LeEco Le 2 international version, its work on 4G LTE in my area Toronto band 2 and 4. 

MarkHo
It's all good. Thanks 😀

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@turesuh
As others have mentioned, you will be able to use that phone for 3G (UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA) service on B2 and B5. You will also have LTE service on B7 only, which is deployed in limited locations. See topics 4 and 9 for more info:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581

MarkHo

I am not overly concern about this. The Phone first connected and shown 3G then H+ and gradually became 4G, I would assume it sensed the speed and switched the symbol. I am just stating the fact that's what it shown and is up to everyone's interpretation.

In any case the phone works with cell phone calls and data for me. That's my own experience and may not works for others.

@MarkHo wrote:

I have useed my PM SIM card inserted into my newly purchased Xiaomi redmi note 4 international version and it shows data connection at 4G.

The "4g" data icon could actually mean anything.   Some phones wil show a 4g icon when you are actually connected to a 3g network, while with others, 4g means LTE.  To further complicate things, I have seen some phones that will show "H" for certain HSPA networks, but in that same phone if you insert a specific carrier's sim card, it will report the same type of HSPA network as "4g". 

I would check in your Android phone's menu under sim status for a more specific network type.  It will usually show a network type listed as something such as:  UMTS, HSPA, LTE, etc.

MarkHo

I have useed my PM SIM card inserted into my newly purchased Xiaomi redmi note 4 international version and it shows data connection at 4G.

piggykiller

Red mi 4 works on 3g but not lte

red mi3 and redmi note 3 looks outdated lol.

domenicocortez
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think redmi note 3 is the best choice: 1080/5.5 inch/weekly update (nougat for next month)/micro sd/full 4g/snapdragon 650/2 days battery life...

230$, no tax, free shipping, hard to beat

Osaga

I have the Note 3 pro.. its quick and quite impressive ... works great with PM

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@turesuh this is just my opinion, but for $20 more you could get a similarly speced (Snapdragon 430, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage + microSD card slot) Blu Life One X2 from Amazon.ca (in Dark Grey or Rose Gold).  You will get the following benefits:  slightly larger 5.2" screen vs. 5.0 but still in a very managable size, 1080p instead of 720p screen resolution, Band 4 LTE (the core one, plus bands 2, 7, and 17 all of which can be helpful in certain areas). Your mileage may vary but these are great phones for the $.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

domenicocortez
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Remember:

3G:850/1900

4G:1700/2100

Public mobile needs this bands to have full cover, coast to coast, but 4G is only for high speed download, not for voice or normal speed (~3mbs)

@turesuh wrote:

I've been thinking about buying a new China phone for awhile, but I'm not sure if the frequencies will work with Public Mobile's network. I am planning to purchase the Redmi 4 4G. I looked on willmyphonework.net, but it says that the 4G frequency may not be compatible. 

Assuming that the specs provided by that seller are correct, this phone is compatible on Public's 3g network, which just happens to carry all of Public Mobile's voice and texting services.  LTE compatibility in a phone is not a requirement to use it on Public.  However, saying that, to spend that much money on a phone that doesn't have LTE compatibility doesn't make sense to me.  In my opinion, the only way someone should consider a non-LTE phone to use on Public would be if he or she already owns the phone, or if it can be purchased at a very low, inexpensive price.

Public's 3g network is on bands 2 and 5.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Use this site to check.  Chinese phone usually have a lack of band 4 LTE.  

http://willmyphonework.net

Need Help? Let's chat.