cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PM support the new iPhone Xs and Xs Max’s eSIM capability?

OKok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Apple yesterday announced that the new iPhones will have an eSIM built into the phone. So I’m wondering whether PM will be able to use the eSIM instead of the physical SIM.

19 REPLIES 19

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

From a MobileSyrup article:

"Telus and its sub-brands are looking to add eSIM and dual SIM technology later this year. However, Telus could not provide a specific time frame."

Don't Telus already support the Apple Watch? If so, they must be able to support eSIM.

@JaredTCurrently only Bell (Bell, Virgin, Lucky), Rogers (Rogers, Fido) and Freedom support eSIM

JaredT

when we have esim service?

jimbobs

@geopublic wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

eSIM is on the way and it appears that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. 

@jimbobs  So if the manufactures decide to go with eSIM only what happens when the eSIM malfunctions after the phone's warranty has expired. Currently  if there is an issue with my SIM I just need to get a new one ($10.00 fix).

But what happens if your eSIM reader doesn't work correctly (IME, a pretty common problem)? 

For PM, there will be no difference whatsoever.  You will still go to a store and buy an eSIM but instead of a piece of plastic, you will get a QR code or a bar code on a card and you will enter that into your phone.  The same code will be entered on the self-serve page in exactly the same way as the physical SIM number is entered today.

This all seems much simpler than buying a piece of plastic and sticking it into a carrier which you shove into your device.  Plus you can have multiple eSIM's for diferent service providers, different services and different territories.  Truly a no-brainer, in my opinion, and I can see no reason for hestitation or concern.

@jimbobs wrote:

eSIM is on the way and it appears that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. 

@jimbobs  So if the manufactures decide to go with eSIM only what happens when the eSIM malfunctions after the phone's warranty has expired. Currently  if there is an issue with my SIM I just need to get a new one ($10.00 fix).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

YES, PM will 100% support eSIM............    ....................................eventually.

When?  Nobody knows, but we have been given no indiciation to expect it any time soon.  However, if eSIM does catch on like wildfire and we end up seeing phones (not watches, but phones) that ship with only eSIM (and zero physical SIM slots), sometime after that if PM hasn't already adopted it, they will be forced to pretty quickly.  Until that point in time, it's anyone's guess.  If I were a betting man, I'd put money on "quite a bit later from now".

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jimbobs

@jimbobs wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

I don't think PM will be supporting esim for the foreseeable future.  The majority of phone manufacturers like Samsung, Nokia, Huawei, and Motorola have not adopted it yet.  Maybe once it becomes standard in all phones then it could be possible for support.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "foreseeable future"!

As there are very few operational issues for the carriers, I think they will support eSim as soon as device manufacturers start pushing out devices with that capability. As Apple is often - not always - ahead of the game, I suspect that by 2020, there will be many devices available with eSIM capability.

Oh, forgot to mention that both Samsung and Huawei already use eSIM in their Smartwatches. Lenovo, Microsoft and Google are also supporting it.

jimbobs

@Triguy wrote:

I don't think PM will be supporting esim for the foreseeable future.  The majority of phone manufacturers like Samsung, Nokia, Huawei, and Motorola have not adopted it yet.  Maybe once it becomes standard in all phones then it could be possible for support.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "foreseeable future"!

As there are very few operational issues for the carriers, I think they will support eSim as soon as device manufacturers start pushing out devices with that capability. As Apple is often - not always - ahead of the game, I suspect that by 2020, there will be many devices available with eSIM capability.

jimbobs

Devices supporting eSIM will be like devices with multiple SIM's today.  The only difference is that you'll get a bar code or QR code instead of a physical SIM.  From the designer/manufacturer's point of view, there's no need for a tray or trays so devices can be slimmer and less expensive to manufacture.

kalpesh9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

VoLTE has nothing to do with eSIM.

As mentioned by others, only physical SIM is supported by Public Mobile for now.

Telus and Rogers are selling them.  Bell was the first to agree to sell them, and use the eSIM tech in Canada.

dscholey

So far, according to the Apple website, only Bell is supporting the eSIM.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just use the physical SIM slot if you want to use an overpriced iPhone XR/S/SMax.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

According to Apple's website, only Bell will be supporting eSim for now: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/bell-canada-esim-iphone-xs/

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Come on folks, this is a tier 3 service.  This eSIM thing is bleeding edge.  Telus would purposely not roll it out here to ensure Public Mobiles place in the pecking order.  I guess I get a chance to say my favorite yet again.  This service is best enjoyed for what it is, not what you hope it to be.

Effort

I doubt it because Public Mobile doesn't have VoLTE yet.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@OKok wrote:

Apple yesterday announced that the new iPhones will have an eSIM built into the phone. So I’m wondering whether PM will be able to use the eSIM instead of the physical SIM.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/E-SIM-support/m-p/189166#M14820

@Jeremy_M wrote:

right now, there is no talks of PM using this technology. If anything changes, I will make sure it's communicated through the Community.

JM

Need Help? Let's chat.