cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get a Data connection with this device?

KharmaScribbles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm looking for a mobile hotspot USB stick and unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many providers offering USB internet anymore, but I figure a Data only Sim card will suit my needs just fine, as it's mostly for use when I am in the wifi dead spots around the complex here..

However I have no idea about frequencies or what to look for to be compatible with Public.. By the looks of things I'm thinking there is really poor coverage to the bands this first device supports?

Option 1:
The router network support the 4G LTE WiFi Modem router network band FDD LTE: B1(2100MHz),B3(1800MHz) /B5(850MHZ) 

Also, I have another option here:
FDD LTE: B1(2100MHz), B3(1800MHz) /B5(850MHZ) AT&T and U.S. Cellular 850mhz
TDD-LTE:B38(2600Mhz),B39(1900Mhz),B40(2300Mhz),B41(2500Mhz) can work Spint network 
WCDMA:B1/B5/B8 
GSM:900Mhz/1800Mhz

My eyes just go wonky trying to figure everything out. Help please?

Are either of those options viable? If not, I really need help to find a compatible hot spot USB, under $100 and that I can order online.  I live in Alberta Canada so if anyone knows a better solution, please let me know.

13 REPLIES 13

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@KharmaScribbles  I am joining your thread very late but feel strongly you are on the wrong track, unless the device you have is acceptable.

I have been looking at mifi's for several years and, as far as I can tell, they are all no better than tethering via USB to a decent cell phone.

Because PM has no decent stand alone data plans a cell phone on PM is significantly more versatile and cost effective.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Metal1967 wrote:

@KharmaScribbles 

My brother uses this one and likes it...not sure if its what your after but worth a lookScreenshot_2019-03-07-05-32-03.png

If the specs here are correct,  and assuming you get the version for the US market (if there are multiple versions), this device will work fine.  https://www.glocalme.com/cloudsim/product?type=g3&lang=en-US&giso=US

What stands out to me is the 15 hours of "continuous usage" on a battery charge quoted by the manufactuer.  That is really good.  I do see this device for sale on Amazon from $190, being sold directly by the manufactuer, but shipped by Amazon. 

@sheytoon wrote:

That intersection is between 2 sites:

55.1694, -118.8339.  Sectors point 55, 165, 275 degrees clockwise from north.

55.167, -118.8174. Sectors point 10, 140, 240 degrees clockwise from north.

All of those sectors have 5 MHz of B5 and dual 20 MHz of B7 LTE.

So you'll probably be ok 🙂

It'll work, but I don't think i'd be confortable on spending money on a devices that can only do those connections.  The 5MHz LTE Band V is probably not going to give great speeds because of lack of capacity.  As for LTE Band 7, that's likely not going to be great for indoor coverage. 

I can understand if KharmaScribbles  already has the device and wants to save money by not needing to purchase a new device, but otherwise, I would not buy a device such this for use in Canada.  Of course, that's just my opinion.

That intersection is between 2 sites:

55.1694, -118.8339.  Sectors point 55, 165, 275 degrees clockwise from north.

55.167, -118.8174. Sectors point 10, 140, 240 degrees clockwise from north.

All of those sectors have 5 MHz of B5 and dual 20 MHz of B7 LTE.

So you'll probably be ok 🙂

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KharmaScribbles 

My brother uses this one and likes it...not sure if its what your after but worth a lookScreenshot_2019-03-07-05-32-03.png

KharmaScribbles

@sheytoon 

Coords: N 55° 10' 12.77''W 118° 49' 10.689''
or 
55.1702139 lat -118.8196359 long

These are of course not my EXACT location, but close enough 😉

Thank you!

@computergeek541 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@KharmaScribbles 

First off, I would forget about LTE bands, at lesast for now, until after you examine the 3g bands.

I would not get a phone unless it has both bands 2 and 5 for the 3g network.  If the phone you get isn't compatible with those 3g/hspa network bands, you will not be able to place or receive phone calls.

LTE compatibility is not an absolute necessity to use Public Mobile.  Both voice and data will work even if you don't have LTE.

However, if you wish to have LTE, I would not even considering purchasing any phone that does not have at least all of LTE bands 2, ,4, and 7.

I'm not getting a phone and looking at data for internet only, the device I am purchasing will be a mobile internet stick or router that has a spot for SIM cards 😉 

I will be using a Chromebook/Laptop to connect to that device to use the internet, either connecting via USB network connection or Wifi access point, depending on which mobile internet device I get.. I need help finding out which mobile router will work with a Public SIM card and will give me the best internet connection for wifi.

If you're only interested in data, LTE by itself will be fine if you have the correct bands.

You won't need 3G bands at all in your scenario. The band number (i.e. B5 or B7) already dictates whether the duplexing is FDD or TDD (by the way, it's FDD for both), so you don't need to specifically worry about that specification.

If you will only have LTE B5 and B7, you are at risk of having weak or no signal. Can you tell me where exactly you'll be using the hotspot? Nearest major intersection and city name?

@KharmaScribbles 

First off, I would forget about LTE bands, at lesast for now, until after you examine the 3g bands.

I would not get a phone unless it has both bands 2 and 5 for the 3g network.  If the phone you get isn't compatible with those 3g/hspa network bands, you will not be able to place or receive phone calls.

LTE compatibility is not an absolute necessity to use Public Mobile.  Both voice and data will work even if you don't have LTE.

However, if you wish to have LTE, I would not even considering purchasing any phone that does not have at least all of LTE bands 2, ,4, and 7.

KharmaScribbles

@sheytoon @computergeek541 
Sorry to bother you guys again but I have been having so much trouble trying to narrow down and find compatible options, I want to make sure what I order will work out for me.

I will be only needing data on a laptop, I assume the laptop uses 3g because I have currenctly 2 wifi hotspots my device can see, both the same access point but one is labelled -3G and it's faster.. so I wonder what is the one not labeled 3G, only 2G?

I assume my laptop has no use for connecting to LTE or just there is no LTE network around to connect to at the moment I guess..

So which bands would I need, at least 2 or is just one good enough?

Is B5 and B7 good enough coverage for data?

I tried to read the thread but I am having no luck finding something with both B7 and B2.. also I'm not sure if the advice in the thread sheytoon linked to applies differently in my case since I'm not needing phone service and won't even be using a phone to connect.  Is having bands all in either 3G or 4G bad, do I need to have one band in FDD and one in 3G?

Thank you kindly for your help.

KharmaScribbles

Wow, thanks, everyone.  Well it is back to the drawing board for me then.

So am I looking for all the bands that Public uses for LTE, or are specific bands a better option to look for?

Am I just worried about the band numbers, or do I also need to be lining up the frequency with the band numbers when looking for a device?

Thanks for all your help.  Who would have thought, I figured there could just be a universal USB, but it seems there are so many different frequencies.  I guess that's how all the different carriers don't end up clashing together though.  The combinations could be endless though !

Oh, I see the link posted above is quite informative.  Great info!  Great community here wow.
(Go figure, leave a community to fend for themselves but reward them with free service and you form quite the customer service team organically)

🤘🏻 By the way, I see there is a promo going on... I'm unconverted still if anyone wants to give me a review of Public Mobile (especially their data plans/service) sent to my PM and I would be happy to mark you as my referral if I do sign up, no worries of my doing an in-store activation as I am immobile and need to conduct all business online anyways 😉 🤘🏻

You'll get data service, but honestly, don't buy either of these devices.  It's missing some important and basic 3g frequencies that Public Mobile uses.

@srlawren , actually it's B1, which is not used in Canada. I think you are mixing it up with B2.

@KharmaScribbles , both are bad options to be honest. You will have trouble getting reliable coverage. Only B5 is supported from those frequencies. See here for more info:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KharmaScribbles  of the two, option 2 is better.  It has B1 and B5 W-CDMA, meaning it has both 3G (HSPA+) frequencies (1900MHz and 850MHz, respectively) used by Public Mobile.  For 4G LTE support, it has the same B5 as option 1 which is useful in some areas of the country.  I don't think it's additional 4G LTE bands are useful with Public Mobile, but having the 3G bands to fall back on will give you much better coverage (albeit at a slower speed when B5 LTE coverage is not available--but at least you'll get a signal vs none with option 1).

@sheytoon (and @computergeek541 via Skype) thanks for the correction.  My brain is still very foggy with a head and chest cold I developed on vacation last week, which I am officially blaming for my confusion!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.