cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling and sms textiing

dnewf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi people I have a samsung S6 just regular not edge.model number SM-g920w8. android version 7.0. Last update was june 1 2018. I been trying to turn on wifi calling with no avail. I dont see anything saying wifi calling. Is there any hope without upgrading the phone?

10 REPLIES 10

Werden203
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Wi-Fi calling is not supported. I am using a phone which used to be on the Fido network and did support Wi-Fi calling and text. When I switched to Public Mobile the options for Wi-Fi calling were not even visible in my setting any longer. It's like they were never there. I will miss it, especially on vacations. You can, however chose one of many apps which use Wi-Fi to text and call, like Telegram, but the recipient needs to have it also. I hope that this helps.

SteTem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have used Whatsapp for wifi calling without any problems from Florida to Ontario

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not offer wifi calling.  You could use apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Textnow, or Fongo.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dnewf  WiFi calling is not supported by Public Mobile so no need to change phones. I think running Android 7.0 with all the security vulnerabilities should be a concern though and you should consider upgrading to a more secure option like a Google Pixel or an Android One model that is running the latest Android version and receives security updates on a monthly basis.

@dnewf wrote:

there's no wifi calling? well didn't know that. Looks like i will have to move on after 2.5 years. I cant get sms to work with wifi. yes FB messenger i really don't want that. I work out in the bush out company provides wifi and i need wifi calling.

google messages app has rcs which uses wifi or data for text

dnewf

there's no wifi calling? well didn't know that. Looks like i will have to move on after 2.5 years. I cant get sms to work with wifi. yes FB messenger i really don't want that. I work out in the bush out company provides wifi and i need wifi calling.

@dnewf wrote:

i have google hangouts working with out going calls but not sms. Yes its my phone. didnt know about text me

https://www.textnow.com/

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dnewf  PM does not support wifi calling at all. So, new phone won't help. 
On the other hand, all PM Plans, except for data only, fully support SMS & MMS. 

dnewf

i have google hangouts working with out going calls but not sms. Yes its my phone. didnt know about text me

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnewf wrote:

Hi people I have a samsung S6 just regular not edge.model number SM-g920w8. android version 7.0. Last update was june 1 2018. I been trying to turn on wifi calling with no avail. I dont see anything saying wifi calling. Is there any hope with upgrading the phone?

If I interpret you right...this place doesn't offer wifi calling. You can certainly use third-party apps like TextNow and many others.

So it's not your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.