cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling now working?

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My phone just did a securty update (Still on Android 9) and it popped up a little WiFi calling option that was not there before. However, when I try to activate it I get a notification that tells me that my emergency address is not valid and prompts me to update it. The button does nothing. I did however try updating my address manually but I still get the same error.

Has anyone else gotten WiFi calling to work

Screenshot_20200402-212132.pngScreenshot_20200402-212219.pngScreenshot_20200402-212225.png

29 REPLIES 29

HI @johnmacburnie81   because you paid for what you get

You are paying for a Tier 3 provider so you are getting Tier 3 service and features..🤣

(I think Lucky and Chat both do not have Wifi Calling or VoLTE, Lucky only win the race by a nose, eSIM)

johnmacburnie81
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey guys anyone want tell me how or why the question was in 2022 but the answers were 2020? Seems wrong....but that's just my opinion.....crooked

@PaulOldfield wrote:

I wish I had known that before activating. I feel ripped off!

Public Mobile has never had or advertised Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling also doesn't do much (in my opinion) if you're using it at a location that has cellular coverage.

yes, PM is a Tier 3 provider and it does not offer Wifi Calling of VoLTE

Good thing is that PM is prepaid service and no contract, you can port your number back out if you want to.  Koodo and Telus both offering this and they both have very good plans these days.

PaulOldfield
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wish I had known that before activating. I feel ripped off!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Naepalm, at least these are much secured than say Zoom!

@gblackma always suggests in his posts, the TextNow app I think. Supposedly, you get a real phone number and start calling & texting - for free! I would think that would confuse people who know your real number, versus some random number, but if you are in a jam, who knows!

I think it's great. I was skeptical about voip services. But my few experiences were fine. I called a realtor in BC from a hotel in Arizona. After saying it was me with the strange number...we got on with it. It ain't rocket science. Just a different number.

@Naepalm, at least these are much secured than say Zoom!

@gblackma always suggests in his posts, the TextNow app I think. Supposedly, you get a real phone number and start calling & texting - for free! I would think that would confuse people who know your real number, versus some random number, but if you are in a jam, who knows!

@Tav wrote:

It could be nice for PM to activate wifi calling for anyone without minutes left that can't get out to get a voucher.

I have unlimited minutes so I don't need it personally.

I did however get the emergency address message to go away.

Wi-Fi calling wouldn't alllow people who are out of minutes to make calls. Carriers are still billing minutes for calls placed using Wi-Fi calling. Allowing calls through Wi-Fi calling only gies the customer another way to connect.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

You can use Hangouts or Line app for wifi calling. 

https://hangouts.google.com/

https://line.me/en/

These are both really useful!

The reason(s) why PM does not offer VoLTE or 4G talk plans aren't really relevant because they don't change anything.

PM simply does not offer VoLTE. They might one day, maybe, but it's not what they're selling now.

If you must have VoLTE then you must go to one of the providers who sell VoLTE.

Stormy

@Triguy wrote:

VoLTE is only available on 4G so PM does not offer it.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/13/canada-volte-guide/

PM doesn't have VoLTE because Telus won't enable it (same for Koodo ATM).

Don't forget that PM is still using LTE, just limited to 3G speed.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

VoLTE is only available on 4G so PM does not offer it.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/13/canada-volte-guide/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tav 

I just don't see the need when there are adequate voip apps available. Sure. Different phone number. But free is always good. I'd rather the rates be kept down.

Tav

It could be nice for PM to activate wifi calling for anyone without minutes left that can't get out to get a voucher.

I have unlimited minutes so I don't need it personally.

I did however get the emergency address message to go away.

Fred54
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Using Hangout Dialer, absolutely, I'm doing this for years at home, sometimes there is a popup saying they cannot display my number to the caller, even if my number is verified.

Anyway I called hours and hours in Canada and USA without any problem.

Yes when someone calls me it's the regular phone, not wifi, but we have unlimited entering call minutes.

So the main advantage of wifi calling is long distance calls?

There's already many services like this

https://www.lifewire.com/free-internet-phone-calls-1356646

Google Voice, FaceTime, Skype, and Whatsapp are the most prominent (owned by Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook). Love em or hate em, these corporations have the biggest and bestest IP networks to carry chitchat around.

What's the advantage (to end-users) of having this service built directly into their carrier network? Especially since the whole purpose of wifi calling is to route calling across a different network anyhow?

@AE_Collector wrote:

While not getting any new freebies with VoLTE implementation is one thing, I am assuming the big benefit forms at PM would be better voice coverage for newer cell sites that may not support 3G?

AE_Collector

I see the coverage difference being minimal comparing 700MHz and 850MHz frequency range networks. I see the main difference as being LTE being more efficicient with capacity.

While not getting any new freebies with VoLTE implementation is one thing, I am assuming the big benefit of it at PM would be better voice coverage for newer cell sites that may not support 3G?

AE_Collector

Yeah.. True Wi-Fi calling is more akin to "GSM over IP" tunnelling your phones GSM voice stream through an encrypted tunnel to the carrier over the Internet instead of the mobile network, maintaining all native functions built into the phone with no 3rd party apps required.

don't get excited over it. With Rogers you gained nothing as far as free minutes or long distance. They still charged airtime! Heh

Some apps allow you to set them as your default dialer and chose what to use for outgoing calls. Furthermore, apps work worldwide. Wi-Fi calling only works within the providers network.

@bing13 wrote:

If you need Wifi-Calling there are many apps available. Some even let you use your PM number as the displayed number

Unforutnately, using an app isn't what Wi-Fi calling is. Wi-Fi calling allows customers to both place and receive calls (using the same phone number as the cellular carrier's number) withiout the need for an app. It is seamless and the Wi-Fi connection only provides another means to connect.

bing13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you need Wifi-Calling there are many apps available. Some even let you use your PM number as the displayed number

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983  Google Hangouts dialer allows you to use your PM number (provided you verify your number with them) when making calls to "real numbers" anywhere in North America for free.

More on this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Using-PM-outside-Canada/m-p/146841/highli...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mh1983  Google Hangouts dialer allows you to use your PM number (provided you verify your number with them) when making calls to "real numbers" anywhere in North America for free.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Tav , if you want to use wifi calling, try an app.  There are numerous that do calling and texting. 

Agreed, but let's caveat that point with the fact that anyone who signs up for another app (Fongo, etc) will have to use a different phone number than their PM phone number. And not all of them support calling real numbers. WiFi calling on a carrier uses the same number, so just want to make that a clear distinction when you go for an app vs. built in WiFi calling.

@Korth wrote:

So this is a communication feature supported by the phone (software) but not supported by all networks (like Public Mobile)?

That's correct. Public Mobile doesn't offer it. Even if were offered, carriers often restrict it to devices sold by them.

So this is a communication feature supported by the phone (software) but not supported by all networks (like Public Mobile)?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Tav , if you want to use wifi calling, try an app.  There are numerous that do calling and texting. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Tav 

Unfortunately, Public mobile does not support Wifi calling at the present time.  

Need Help? Let's chat.