cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can’t I send a photo text to anyone without an iPhone?

Jovi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I thought my plan included unlimited photo texting but I can’t send a photo to anyone who doesn’t have an iPhone.  Any idea why?

26 REPLIES 26

Jovi

Yah, I know and I appreciate the help!! 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  it's called Google search and copy paste. Something you could have done.

Jovi

LOL!!
Hmmm, suspicious, are you a closet apple user?  🙂

THANKS a million, you are pretty awesome with giving clear instructions  but I think I will pay to send pics of my lovely dog.  I bet you’re a cat person...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  iPad to 😤🤬 lol. Wish you mentioned that before... anyways

Turning off the iMessage slider on your iPhone will stop iMessages from being delivered to your iPhone. However, if you have multiple Apple devices, it does not stop iMessages from being sent to your Apple ID. Consider the situation where someone has both an iPhone and an iPad. Turning off the iMessage slider on one device will still allow iMessages to be received on the other device.

Even with the iMessage slider turned off, your phone number is still associated with your Apple ID. Therefore, when other iPhone users send a message to you, it is sent as an iMessage to your Apple ID. But, since the slider is turned off, the message is not delivered to your iPhone.

If you want to turn off iMessage and have all messages delivered to your iPhone as SMS text messages, you need to break the association between your phone number and your Apple ID. Simply turning off the iMessage slider does not break the association.

To disassociate your phone number from your Apple ID, first make sure iMessage is completely turned off on your iPhone. Do this by opening the Settings app and selecting Messages -> Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID at the top of the window and select Sign Out.

Once you are signed out, make sure the iMessage slider is set to the off position (no green is visible on the slider)

This will typically disassociate your phone number from your Apple ID.

However, if the problem still persists, go to https://appleid.apple.com and change your Apple ID password. By changing your Apple ID password, you effectively deauthorize your iPhone from using Apple’s services until it can re-authenticate with the correct password. With the iMessage service deauthorized to your iPhone, Apple’s servers will no longer associate your phone number to your Apple ID.

After changing your password, you will need to sign back in to services like the iTunes & App Store and iCloud. On the iPhone, go to:

Settings -> iTunes & App Store

Settings -> iCloud.

For each service, enter your Apple ID and password when requested.

Do not sign in with your Apple ID in Settings -> Messages and do not turn on the iMessage slider on your iPhone. Doing so would re-associate your phone number with your Apple ID.

Now, when someone with an iPhone sends a message to your phone number, the Messages app will not find an associated Apple ID and the message will be sent as an SMS text message through your cellular provider. 

Jovi

Thanks, I’ll ask around...

And whoa, are you ever fast and super smart!! I appreciate all your help!!

Now, if only you were an apple person ... lol

Jovi

LOL.  Yah, that’s it!!!

Literally, you can’t send them so no unsent text but I can’t receive them either.  Good thing I have an iPad too (which I am sure makes you want to gag lol) so they went there...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  it was just an example. Pulling pictures off Google.

So you'll have to go through all your settings. Find something like send and receive addresses. Maybe you have it set to email and phone number is turned off. 

Or check your iPhone contacts for people that have iphones. Maybe it's set to contact them via email (apple id) instead of their phone number..

It's just you have to find the proper settings but since you mentioned you can now text androids. It means you're halfway there. Just have to figure out the people with iPhones. 

Jovi

When I turn off my iMessage and turn on SMS, I can’t send send any text to other apple users, only Android folks and the likes.  Couldn’t find anything that looked like your screen shot?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi 

Something like this??

p_174_160_39d4b675-af1d-4dac-a457-d9ebd942a0f3.jpeg

Likely means you have unsent messages.

You've been saying when you turn off iMessage you can't send anything.

So do you have unsent messages?? 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi try to re-register your Apple ID. if you have a high GB data plan. I wouldn't worry about it

Jovi

Hey! I totally appreciate your efforts and thorough explanation!! 😃😃😃

But, I can’t send a text without having IMessage turned on ... the second I turn off iMessage, exclamation mark ️ show up!  It’s like a grave error or something!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  If you turn off iMessage and you can't send a text or picture at all. Means your settings on your iPhone are not properly set.

Just another reason why i hate iPhones. So much hassles 😂.

IMG_20201102_192347.png

Go through your settings and make sure SMS (which is text messages) and MMS (which is pictures) are turned on.

if still not working. Then go through your send and receive addresses. Maybe they are turned on for (Email and not phone number). 

Might look something like below.

ios11-iphone7-settings-message-imessage-send-receive.jpg

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  Well sorry I don't know what other way to try to explain it to you.

iMessage has zero to do with the text system. Zip, Nada, nothing. Which means if you're not on wifi you will be charged data.

If you turn off Imessage. Your pictures will go through the text system. Which means. You can send unlimited amount of pictures. Doesn't matter. Send 300 tonight if you want. Data needs to be ON but it will NOT consume your plan data as it is included in your plan.

PM system picks up what you do. 

If you look at your usage history you'd see different things.

When data is being used. You'd likely see two different things.

"Web" and far right will show how much data was used. That counts to your plan data.

Or it would show "Data Event" then far right shows "MMS" which MMS means picture and is  included in your plan you pay.

Like this. This is what shows far right in your usage. Far left would be where it says "Web" or "Data Event"

Screenshot_20210109_013912.jpg

So if you use just iMessage. When you're not on WiFi. You'd never see sms or MMS . All you would see is "Web" then the amount of data you used when talking to other people that have Iphones. Unless they have Immessage off, data off, airplane mode, etc then it would be sent through standard text system. If you send and it shows Blue. Means it went through iMessage. If it shows green means it was sent through standard text system.

If you send to a contact that has an Android or any other type of device that is not an Apple. It will always show green and go through the standard text system as only Apple has iMessage. So if you were texting or sending pictures to someone without an Apple they'd always show as "Data event". .

Data is not required to send MMS (Pictures). You could have ZERO data left available. Even a plan where you don't get any data at all. You'd still be able to send and receive pictures however data needs to be turned on. 

It requires a connection for the text system to process the picture. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jovi wrote:

Oh, so if there was a way to send my photo text with MMS, I wouldn’t be using data? 
When I turn off the IMessage, I can’t send the text at all - with or without a picture.

It does use data but Public knows it's MMS and the data doesn't count. You can still use MMS if you run out of data.

Jovi

Oh, so if there was a way to send my photo text with MMS, I wouldn’t be using data? 
When I turn off the IMessage, I can’t send the text at all - with or without a picture.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jovi wrote:

I download apps to do just about everything and I thought everyone else did too!  Lol

I don’t get why I would turn off IMessage if it doesn’t resolve sending text pics without using data?

Data used for MMS is unlimited and doesn't count. iMessage use reduces your remaining data.

Jovi

I download apps to do just about everything and I thought everyone else did too!  Lol

I don’t get why I would turn off IMessage if it doesn’t resolve sending text pics without using data?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  Yes you have to have data on to send pictures. Just turn off iMessage.

Yup can download music right off YouTube. Video is converted to MP3 and is now on your phone. 

I've read iPhones can now do it kinda  but you need apps or stuff. Where androids can simply use an online site and takes like 3 seconds. Maybe things have changed for iPhones (I don't know) don't really keep tabs on iPhones. Maybe try some Google searches and see what comes up.

Jovi

Oh, ok.  So I have to use data to send pictures.

Wow, really?  You get free music, that’s great!  And, I love Apple!! 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi   Sorry I'm an Android person. iPhones in my opinion are garbage lol. Plus they make you pay for music through Itunes when on Android it's free lol.

Turn those settings ON (my picture in first message to you)..

turn OFF iMessage...

TURN ON DATA. Send your pictures (MMS).

Data needs to be on to send MMS regardless if you have an iPhone or Android.

If it goes through the traditional text system then it does not count towards your data.

Again.

Blue messages are iMessage. iMessages work on wifi or data.

Green messages are the traditional SMS (text)/MMS (pictures) system. Included in your plan.

iPhones have:

Traditional text system and iMessage

Androids have:

Traditional text system and RCS (RCS is similar to your iMessage) it works on wifi or data not the traditional system.

If you don't want to consume data. Turn off iMessage / Leave data on to send pictures through the traditional text system which is included in your plan. Use iMessage only when you're connected to WiFi. If not connected to wifi and you use iMessage (blue messages) be it a text (SMS) or a picture (, MMS) it will consume your data.

Jovi

What iPhone do you have?  I have an 11 

I tried turning off iMessage and sending with MMS and I couldn’t send the text at all.

Did I misunderstood your instructions?

It would be great to not have to use data.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi  FYI if the picture messages are going through iMessages you'll consume data if you're not on wifi. iMessage uses wifi or data and not the traditional text system.

To tell.

Blue messages are iMessage and Green are traditional text messages.

Ensure you turn on the settings for traditional text and MMS which is included in your plan. Might look like the below .

IMG_20201102_192347.png

Turn iMessage off when not connected to WiFi. If you keep it on just know if the sms or MMS goes through iMessage it counts towards your data limit if not connected to wifi.

Jovi

Thanks!!  Turned on my data and voila, picture was sent!  🙂

Jovi

Thanks, that did the trick!!  🙂

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Jovi 

likely due to iMessage. 

Make sure to turn on MMS Messaging in your Settings. 

Data should be turned on.  

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Jovi wrote:

I thought my plan included unlimited photo texting but I can’t send a photo to anyone who doesn’t have an iPhone.  Any idea why?

Ensure your mobile data is on and your apn settings are correct.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles?q=Apn+settings

Need Help? Let's chat.