cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy unlocked phone in store?

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Looking to buy a Moto G7 Play and I want to pick it up in store. A few providers in my area (Bell and Virgin) have it in stock but won't sell it unlocked without a plan.

Can they do this? I would have thought the retail workers could be cool with scoring a quick comission without having to go through the hassle of setting up an account and all that. 

I could order it from Amazon or Bestbuy but its the global version and I wanted to get the Canadian variant to avoid issues and just being able to go out and buy it seems easier than getting it shipped to me. 

18 REPLIES 18

Tav

Ordered it direct from Motorola. Now we wait! My Moto G from 2014 hurting pretty bad.

Tav

@madziara166 wrote:

If you are sure of the model of the phone i would just order online from amazon or motorola website. This way you can be sure is unlock and often price is better that in store

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NPRMWYP/ref=asc_df_B07NPRMWYP1555498800000?tag=shopbotca-20&creative=395...

Amazon doesn't have Warranty and the Motorola website doesn't have an option to purchase.

It does appear that Bestbuy and Walmart have Warranty though so it looks like I'll be ordering through one of them.

madziara166
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you are sure of the model of the phone i would just order online from amazon or motorola website. This way you can be sure is unlock and often price is better that in store

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NPRMWYP/ref=asc_df_B07NPRMWYP1555498800000?tag=shopbotca-20&creative=395...

shskr

@srlawren wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

I've noticed that different Costco stores stock different unlocked phones. Some moths back, I was in a warehouse in Ottawa and they had Motorola and Samsung on the shelves. In Etobicoke they had Samsung only.

Last time I was in Etobocoke, they had Samsung A5 and Motorola ?? there.

@jimbobs even within a single location, stock (of any kind, not just phones) at Costco varies wildly over time.  If you see something you like that you know isn't one of their staples they always carry, get as many as you need right away because they might be gone the next time you visit!

That includes everything else in the store. HaHa

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs wrote:

I've noticed that different Costco stores stock different unlocked phones. Some moths back, I was in a warehouse in Ottawa and they had Motorola and Samsung on the shelves. In Etobicoke they had Samsung only.

@jimbobs even within a single location, stock (of any kind, not just phones) at Costco varies wildly over time.  If you see something you like that you know isn't one of their staples they always carry, get as many as you need right away because they might be gone the next time you visit!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mynewhome
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think you're right, I saw some asus models at the Guelph store

jimbobs

Tav

@srlawren wrote:

@Tav wrote:

I have found a loophole to order the phone through Virgin Mobile. They are telling me it will come unlocked and shouldn't have any carrier bloatware or any affect on updates if  I'm using the phone off of Virgins network. Does this sound true?

@Tav it should come unlocked, though Bell (Virgin's parent company) have been known to sell some devices locked and then provide an unlock code immediately--they claim this is in an effort to try to prevent theft of unlocked stock, weak argument but that's another story.  You should be okay here.  Carrier bloatware--I think is not an issue for Moto phones.  I'm not sure about updates.  Honestly, I'd probably get it from Walmart like @hycm53 noted below, probably easier and less risky.

If ordering from Walmart or Best buy it's the international model and comes from the same third party seller JP Mobiles or Wireless experts. I do believe that you only get 30 day warranty whereas if purchased through Bell or Virgin I would get 1 year warranty or at the very least I think would be easier to deal with than an online seller if I had any issues.

srlawren

@Tav wrote:

I have found a loophole to order the phone through Virgin Mobile. They are telling me it will come unlocked and shouldn't have any carrier bloatware or any affect on updates if I'm using the phone off of Virgins network. Does this sound true?

@Tav it should come unlocked, though Bell (Virgin's parent company) have been known to sell some devices locked and then provide an unlock code immediately--they claim this is in an effort to try to prevent theft of unlocked stock, weak argument but that's another story.  You should be okay here.  Carrier bloatware--I think is not an issue for Moto phones.  I'm not sure about updates.  Honestly, I'd probably get it from Walmart like @hycm53 noted below, probably easier and less risky.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Koyabtx

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Tav wrote:

Looking to buy a Moto G7 Play and I want to pick it up in store. A few providers in my area (Bell and Virgin) have it in stock but won't sell it unlocked without a plan.

Can they do this? I would have thought the retail workers could be cool with scoring a quick comission without having to go through the hassle of setting up an account and all that. 

I could order it from Amazon or Bestbuy but its the global version and I wanted to get the Canadian variant to avoid issues and just being able to go out and buy it seems easier than getting it shipped to me. 

@Tav Phone companies sign exclusivity agreements with manufactures so retailers are not allowed to sell a phone without a plan. Nothing wrong with the Global version and it's also factory unlocked.Smiley Happy

The retailers are not allowed or they just do not want to sell the devices without earning a commission for activating a cellular service plan?

Retailers want their employees to earn the commission for activation, but retailers would also need to get their superior's approval for sale of a device without a contract- which basically almost always means a no since they rather have the activation #'s than get rid of their stock. Smiley Happy better to look at 3rd party retailers or online such as amazon or bestbuy's marketplace

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tav wrote:

I have found a loophole to order the phone through Virgin Mobile. They are telling me it will come unlocked and shouldn't have any carrier bloatware or any affect on updates if I'm using the phone off of Virgins network. Does this sound true?

You can try Walmart online:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Motorola-Moto-G7-Play-XT1952-32GB-Dual-SIM-Factory-Unlocked-Global-Vers...

Tav

Tav

I'm gonna go check out The Mobile Shop later. If they don't have it then I might see if I can hold out until it maybe shows up at Costco.

The source has it but I think that has to be purchased through Bell or Virgin based on their website.

I'm currently using a Moto G2 running Lineage OS and its not running very great with its unreliable battery, general lagginess and touch disease.

Thanks for all the help.

srlawren

@Tav wrote:

@Tav in fact, they get commissions on activations (and renewals), rather than on device sales (though I would imagine they get incentives on accessories too).   This is the reason many dealers will refuse to just sell you the hardware, since they won't make anything from it.  This is especialy true when a device is in high demand and/or short supply: every device they sell to someone without activation robs them of an activation commission and prevents them from selling it to the next person that walks in wanting one on an activation.  Do we have to like this?--No.  Are they allowed to do this?--yes.  

@Tav wrote:

@Tav either version will support talk, text, 3G (HSPA+) data, and most of the common LTE bands; the USA version https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_play-9532.php#usa will give you a few more usable LTE bands over the European version https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_play-9532.php#eu, but you should probably be fine with either.  The advantage to orderign direct via Amazon/BB in general is no carrier bloatware, carrier branding, or carrier modifications (disabling features, etc).  I'm not sure how prevalent any of these issues is for Moto phones, as I've only bought two and they were both factory unlocked versions from Amazon (a 1st gen Moto X for myself sevearl yaers ago and a G5 Plus for my mom a couple of Christmases ago).  

Barfanese

I have looked at many phones.  Sometimes they are on sale at...best buy, wal mart, factory direct, the source and staples

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

B&H photo is another good choice for shopping unlocked phones.  Their site has comprehensive information unlike Amazon and Bestbuy.  They do free shipping to Canada.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1455102-REG/moto_pae00002us_g7_64gb_smartphone_unlocked.html

@geopublic wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Tav Phone companies sign exclusivity agreements with manufactures so retailers are not allowed to sell a phone without a plan. Nothing wrong with the Global version and it's also factory unlocked.Smiley Happy

The retailers are not allowed or they just do not want to sell the devices without earning a commission for activating a cellular service plan?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tav wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.