cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Where to buy unlocked phone in store?

@Tav wrote:

I have found a loophole to order the phone through Virgin Mobile. They are telling me it will come unlocked and shouldn't have any carrier bloatware or any affect on updates if I'm using the phone off of Virgins network. Does this sound true?

@Tav it should come unlocked, though Bell (Virgin's parent company) have been known to sell some devices locked and then provide an unlock code immediately--they claim this is in an effort to try to prevent theft of unlocked stock, weak argument but that's another story.  You should be okay here.  Carrier bloatware--I think is not an issue for Moto phones.  I'm not sure about updates.  Honestly, I'd probably get it from Walmart like @hycm53 noted below, probably easier and less risky.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@Tav wrote:

I have found a loophole to order the phone through Virgin Mobile. They are telling me it will come unlocked and shouldn't have any carrier bloatware or any affect on updates if  I'm using the phone off of Virgins network. Does this sound true?

@Tav it should come unlocked, though Bell (Virgin's parent company) have been known to sell some devices locked and then provide an unlock code immediately--they claim this is in an effort to try to prevent theft of unlocked stock, weak argument but that's another story.  You should be okay here.  Carrier bloatware--I think is not an issue for Moto phones.  I'm not sure about updates.  Honestly, I'd probably get it from Walmart like @hycm53 noted below, probably easier and less risky.

If ordering from Walmart or Best buy it's the international model and comes from the same third party seller JP Mobiles or Wireless experts. I do believe that you only get 30 day warranty whereas if purchased through Bell or Virgin I would get 1 year warranty or at the very least I think would be easier to deal with than an online seller if I had any issues.

Highlighted

I've noticed that different Costco stores stock different unlocked phones. Some moths back, I was in a warehouse in Ottawa and they had Motorola and Samsung on the shelves. In Etobicoke they had Samsung only.

Last time I was in Etobocoke, they had Samsung A5 and Motorola ?? there.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think you're right, I saw some asus models at the Guelph store

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs wrote:

I've noticed that different Costco stores stock different unlocked phones. Some moths back, I was in a warehouse in Ottawa and they had Motorola and Samsung on the shelves. In Etobicoke they had Samsung only.

@jimbobs even within a single location, stock (of any kind, not just phones) at Costco varies wildly over time.  If you see something you like that you know isn't one of their staples they always carry, get as many as you need right away because they might be gone the next time you visit!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted

@srlawren wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

@jimbobs even within a single location, stock (of any kind, not just phones) at Costco varies wildly over time.  If you see something you like that you know isn't one of their staples they always carry, get as many as you need right away because they might be gone the next time you visit!

That includes everything else in the store. HaHa

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you are sure of the model of the phone i would just order online from amazon or motorola website. This way you can be sure is unlock and often price is better that in store

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NPRMWYP/ref=asc_df_B07NPRMWYP1555498800000?tag=shopbotca-20&creative=395...

Highlighted

@madziara166 wrote:

If you are sure of the model of the phone i would just order online from amazon or motorola website. This way you can be sure is unlock and often price is better that in store

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NPRMWYP/ref=asc_df_B07NPRMWYP1555498800000?tag=shopbotca-20&creative=395...

Amazon doesn't have Warranty and the Motorola website doesn't have an option to purchase.

It does appear that Bestbuy and Walmart have Warranty though so it looks like I'll be ordering through one of them.

Highlighted

Ordered it direct from Motorola. Now we wait! My Moto G from 2014 hurting pretty bad.