cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did you buy your phone?

ashleyskye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Looking for some suggestions on where to get smartphones on the cheap. My only requirement is that it be waterproof and work on PM.

21 REPLIES 21

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@ashleyskye, I bought an Asus Zenfone because it has dual SIM cards, so, if by chance, I win the lotto max or 6/49, and I need to leave the country with my millions, I can always put in another SIM card to use besides my Public Mobile.

The current phone, Asus ZenFone 6 is about $900, well above your price point. I have an Asus ZenFone 4, which I paid $400, and it seems the price point is roughly the same on Amazon.

You probably could get an Asus ZenFone 2 or 3 for about $200 or less. Yes, these are smartphones btw. But the older versions may only have one SIM card. 

Before you think that maybe, you don't need a smartphone. In today's world of bad drivers on the road, a smartphone with a camera goes a long way! Having a camera with you is a gift. 

coleeeeee17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought my Motorola G5 at the Canex, my Alcatel flip phone at Best Buy.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Chipster wrote:

The Moto G7 also has dual SIMs. So if you're travelling outside of Canada/USA you can buy another SIM without flipping your own SIM out. Smiley Very Happy

One interesting thing I learned in Mexico last week. I ordered a SIM I could use in Mexico and in the instructions it said that if you had a dual SIM phone the Mexico sim had to go in slot 1 with no SIM in slot 2.  Since slot 1 for my phone is also the SD card I didn't want to mess around and just threw the card in an old phone. But one day I had some time while in Mexico and tried the card in slot 2 of my current phone. It worked for talk and text but I couldn't get a data connection.

dude65

The cdn version (XT1952-4) only has 1 sim card slot and a micro SD memory card slot. The international version of the G7 play has dual sim. 

Chipster

The Moto G7 also has dual SIMs. So if you're travelling outside of Canada/USA you can buy another SIM without flipping your own SIM out. Smiley Very Happy

dude65

Yes your correct the price is up to 205. On motorola's website, they are selling the same model for $249 cdn. Costco may reduce it again if you can wait

@dude65 wrote:

I picked up a new unlocked Moto G7 play from Costco in late Dec2019 for $150 plus tax. It comes with Android 9. For a new phone with the current OS.....its a good deal, and im starting to like the phone.

I was JUST lookin' at that phone on their site the other day, and the price, at least when I was looking, was $205, IIRC. 😕 

dude65

I picked up a new unlocked Moto G7 play from Costco in late Dec2019 for $150 plus tax. It comes with Android 9. For a new phone with the current OS.....its a good deal, and im starting to like the phone.

ashleyskye

Sorry, double post

ashleyskye

Water resistant is fine. I work in a daycare so my phone is constantly falling into sinks and water tables.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I will add to this third party retailer list with OEM options like Samsung stores and OnePlus.  @ashleyskye , if you provide some additional parameters the community can help with narrowing options.

@will13am OP asked for "cheap", and "waterproof".  "Cheap" definitely rules out most Samsung models, while the "waterproof" rules out all OnePlus devices, none of which have an IP rating of any kind (despite being casually and unofficially water resistant).

@ashleyskye when you say "waterproof", do you mean "waterproof", or "water-resistant"?  The former are pretty rare, although the aforemented Catepillar models are, and maybe some of the "Active" Samsung Galaxy models.  Water-resistant is a lot more common, though usually somewhat imcompatible with "cheap".  I'm having a hard time thinking of any good examples.

You are right about OnePlus no longer being a cheap brand.  They do sell older models which less expensive.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

I will add to this third party retailer list with OEM options like Samsung stores and OnePlus.  @ashleyskye , if you provide some additional parameters the community can help with narrowing options.

@will13am OP asked for "cheap", and "waterproof".  "Cheap" definitely rules out most Samsung models, while the "waterproof" rules out all OnePlus devices, none of which have an IP rating of any kind (despite being casually and unofficially water resistant).

@ashleyskye when you say "waterproof", do you mean "waterproof", or "water-resistant"?  The former are pretty rare, although the aforemented Catepillar models are, and maybe some of the "Active" Samsung Galaxy models.  Water-resistant is a lot more common, though usually somewhat imcompatible with "cheap".  I'm having a hard time thinking of any good examples.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kelvarnsen

@zblackma wrote:

Amazon.ca, their line of Umidigi phones give good bang for the bucks paid. 

I have an Umidigi phone and I love it. Not sure if it is waterproof but it works great and was cheap. Before that I always had Samsung phones and even if my next phone isn't an Umidigi I can't imagine going back to the Samsung version of android with all those stupid extra Samsung apps you can't delete.

Obice

@ashleyskye  I have a Galaxy Note 4, iPhone SE and Samsung flip phone (SGH C414). None are waterproof but they are what I have and all work on PM.

martyxmastree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

martyxmastree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It will be hard to find a cheap phone that is waterproof unless you go used. Catapillar phones might be worth having a look at as they are all waterproof and built tough. The better the model Catapillar phone the deeper the water it can handle and the longer it can stay in it.

This one here is a middle of the road one for CDN $444.92 and it can handle Up to 2m for 60mins and works on Public Mobile.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075YB5KTJ/

Amazon has some of their newer models as well such as the S60 for a little more money which will handle 5 meters for 60 minutes:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01JO9ZF3Y/

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Decent price on the Pixel 2 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Google-Pixel-Unlocked-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07F18GCQK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=...

Only thing is it's water resistant, not water proof. 

@Triguy wrote:

You can find many online retailers like Staples, Best Buy,  Aliexpress & Amazon.ca.  Are you looking for Iphone or Android ?

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Amazon.ca, their line of Umidigi phones give good bang for the bucks paid. my Son in Law buys off of Kijiji, and ebay. however you have to be careful with that. The phone may be stolen, so make sure that its unloced.  The U after the model name indicates that it is.  Also, use the see if your phone is compatible link to make sure it is - https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

ashleyskye

Android

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can find many online retailers like Staples, Best Buy,  Aliexpress & Amazon.ca.  Are you looking for Iphone or Android ?

Need Help? Let's chat.