cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

Those stores only sell the lower priced, budget phones. I'm looking to get a Note 9 or iPhone XS. I was just wondering if Telus store locations will sell one outright to their users on the sub-brand Public Mobile.

Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Those stores only sell the lower priced, budget phones. I'm looking to get a Note 9 or iPhone XS. I was just wondering if Telus store locations will sell one outright to their users on the sub-brand Public Mobile.

@WoozyPolarBear

One way to find out, no?

(If you keep an eye on RFD you might find some deals as well.)

Oracle

@WoozyPolarBear you should be able to buy any phone outright if willing to pay the full price. All phones are now unlocked in Canada do you should be able to go to any brand i believe and buy a phone.

@WoozyPolarBear, I purchased directly from Telus in a local mall.  No problem at all, didn’t require purchase or activation of a SIM.

I specifically mentioned I knew I My consumer rights, and that I was already a current subscriber toPublic Mobile.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Depending on where you go you may have to fight with them to sell you the phone without signing up for one of their plans.  Just remember that in Canada they cannot legally force you to sign up for a plan in order to purchase a product, even if the product is useless without a plan, so long as you pay the full retail price.

Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear I'm not sure where you live, but if you are near one, I'd personally buy the Note 9 from a Samsung Experience retail store (e.g. Metrotown or Richmond Centre malls in greater Vancouver) or the XS from an Apple Store (Guildford Mall, Metrotown, Richmond Centre, Pacific Centre, etc).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There are some crazy deals on Koodo right now.... Look for Iphone 8 or S9 on RFD.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up for Public Mobility at London Drugs.  The rep was fantastic. He didn't try to upsell an unlocked Andriod phone (SKY).  Instead, he suggested I try a very old iPhone that I had. He told me to call Bell to unlock the phone which they did with ease.  The phone however wasn't very good (battery problems, slow!), so I bought an Android SKY phone, popped the SIM card in and all went well!  The website for Public Mobility is so simple and much much better than service providers in the past.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Notice.... Motorola G6 Plus does not work on PM 4G even though the check IMEI says it it does. Beware. 

Mayor / Maire

@brucee76 wrote:

Notice.... Motorola G6 Plus does not work on PM 4G even though the check IMEI says it it does. Beware. 

@brucee76 according to gsmarena, all the variations I can see contain the required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G frequencies needed to work with Public Mobile.  What is the specific model number of your unit?  (started with XT and then some numbers).  We can help confirm compatibility if you provide that. 

What issue are you experiencing with it?  Did you get it from a carrier?  If so, it could be locked to them and you will need to contact them for an unlock code.  EDIT: did you purchase it second-hand?  If so, please check the IMEI here https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ to see if it's on the national blacklist.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.