cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile is a new kind of no-frills business, built on simple ideals with a co-operative approach to wireless. We don’t sell phones but don’t worry, there are a number of options available for customers to purchase an affordably priced phone.   

These include retailers as:

• Walmart (Prepaid Phone)
  • Best Buy (Prepaid Phone)
  • Staples (Prepaid Phone)
  • You can also purchase a factory refreshed phone from Orchard at an affordable price.  Find out more about Orchard here.

Direct manufacturers:

1. Apple Store 
  2. Google Store 
  3. Microsoft Store 
  4. BlackBerry (BBM)
  5. One Plus One
  6. Alcatel 

You can also have your friend or family member’s old phone if they are upgrading their phone.

Ensure the phone is unlocked, compatible with our Canada-wide 4G LTE network and IMEI is available for use before completing a purchase. Click here to check phone compatibility and find out the network frequency here.

*To use data, add and select Public Mobile’s APN settings Click here.

235 REPLIES 235

Sapientia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hey nothing more to tell that's a great answer!!

For me i am new user and I keep my rogers iphone 5 after 2 years of 82$ per month...

The only thing is that i have to call rogers to unlock my rogers iphone ... It costs 50$
After that my phone work pretty well with the public sim card

So if you don't have an old phone you can look at kijiji ... For some good used one and pay less

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

Though about 2.5 months after the fact, your May 3rd post was left unanswered.

Public Mobile, like our sister company, Koodo, is a subsidiary of Telus. FYI, its legal name is Public Mobile Holdings Inc.

An MVNO is essentially an independent reseller of the services provided by Telus, Bell and Rogers.

Cheers!

@MrSnide,

Yes, the canadian ASUS Zenfone 2 is sold for the canadian market.

You can use it with any carrier in Canada.

MrSnide
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Many computer stores are now starting to sell unlocked phones. I purchased an unlocked ASUS Zenfone 2 from Memory Express and it works fine with PM.

Oh? Ok.
So, Telus Mobility, Kood Mobile, Public Mobile are Subsidiaries of Telus Communications, Not MVNO?

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@makkahn28 wrote:
Would PM, Kood be considered Subsidiary carriers, or MVNO?
Also, what would a Mobile Network Operator be? Saw how Telus Mobility was labeled as a MNO, So really intrigued.

Koodo, PM & Telus Mobility are owned by Telus Communication Corp.

Chatr, Fido & Rogers Wireless are owned by Rogers Communications.

Bell Mobility, Solo Mobile & Virgin Mobile are owned by BCE Inc. 

@Chuk, thanks for the MVNO Explanation. Thanks for pointing out that. Feel like I have the Wikis syndrome. Guess Wiki really isn't all that reliable.
Also, just curious: How did you get that makkahn28 posted, before you post your thing? Very important if I was going to quote someone, and add my own too. Just curious. Thanks

@Chuk, That info was definitely good. About time the CRTC/CCRC/Competition Bureau got up from their Lazy Buns to help us.
BTW, Have you heard of Google Fi? That alone would be something

chukdefatey

@makkahn28 wrote:
Oh, ok. I sincerely apologize. When I read up certain carriers on Wikipedia, Fido, Public Mobile, Example, were labeld as MVNO. Perhaps someone made an Error. Please, if you have correct answers to this, feel free to inform us. How would a MVNO Work, what exactly is an MVNO, Are they independent carriers, subsidiaries, etc.?

MVNO's are third Party Companies that buy wholesale wireless from established carriers with there own Networks. The Rates these established networks currently charge MVNO's are just too high at the moment therefore we lack in the MVNO business in Canada. Hopefully come May-5-2015 things will change 

Would PM, Kood be considered Subsidiary carriers, or MVNO?
Also, what would a Mobile Network Operator be? Saw how Telus Mobility was labeled as a MNO, So really intrigued.

chukdefatey
CRTC is going to make a Ruling on Wholesale Roaming Rates on May-5-2015, Hopefully that will bring the Rates down so we will see more established MVNO from around the world launch in Canada. As of right now the rates are just too high which is why we lack MVNO's

Oh, ok. I sincerely apologize. When I read up certain carriers on Wikipedia, Fido, Public Mobile, Example, were labeld as MVNO. Perhaps someone made an Error. Please, if you have correct answers to this, feel free to inform us. How would a MVNO Work, what exactly is an MVNO, Are they independent carriers, subsidiaries, etc.?

chukdefatey
I have been involved in the wireless industry since the early 2000, so I know quite a bit. I don't care what the wiki page says. MVNO'S are third party companies that that buy airtime/ data in a wholesale prices from companies that own there own network. Lack of MVNO's is the reason why we don't have competition in this country.

That's strange. Wikipedia, Kood, Public Mobile are considered as MVNO.
Perhaps I need to Re-examine the Full definition of MVNO.
@chuk, if you know, Please, feel free to give us a lecture on Mobile Virtual Network Operator.
I always wanted to know. Thanks

chukdefatey
^The above mentioned companies are not MVNO's & they never were
Back in 2004/2005 Virgin Mobile launched as MVNO but it is no longer a MVNO.

MVNO's are PC Mobile, Petro Can, Speak out etc.

So, example:

Kood, Public Mobile are considered MVNO

Fido, Chatr are considered MVNO 

Virgin Mobile, Solo Mobile at time, considered MVNO

Subsidiaries that operate Autonomously, and use the Parent Co. Network infrastructure

Haven't really heard of a MVNO having their own Towers per say.

MVNO stands for Mobile Virtual Network Operator. 

Its basically a sub-company using the parent Co. Network infrastructure. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

To ensure that your posts are understood by as many readers as possible, explain what MVNO stands for, and provide a brief description of what it does.

Write for those who are unfamiliar with cellphone acronyms.

I found out something as well, another Place where you can purchase a handset, but you'd have to weigh in pros/con's and use common sense

Fido, One Fido store I asked, Yes they do sell.

BUT, you'd have to pay full cost of handset, plus $25 Fee, plus a $50 unlock fee too.

Also, You'd have to do the Test, IMEI, or use that www.willmyphonework.net 

Tool. So, It seems like options do appear, but costs are various here and there.

So, if Fido stores do sell handsets outright, with those fees attached, then there is another option, though slightly costly w. Those additional fees. But, If there's a specific handset U want and only They have, well, I'll leave that up to you to make that determination

If You look for this Topic: 

Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

You can find the multiple links to Google, Blackberry, and others where you can buy a handset from them online.

BUT, WAL-MART & Best Buy have a Small Prepaid Selection, Models will vary from store to store

WAL-MART, Best Buy, and 3rd PARTY Kiosks CANNOT SELL handsets to PPL who ARE NOT Clients of the RESPECTIVE Carriers THE Handset you're interested in buying from these merchants DUE to CONTRACT CLAUSES that these Carriers impose on 3rd Party Merchants. 

BELL & IT'S MVNO VM, ROGERS & IT'S MVNO FIDO & CHATR, WIND DO NOT ALLOW PPL who are NOT CLIENTS of their's to BUY HANDSETS from any of their stores, PHYSICAL/ONLINE

IF YOU BUY Handset that has LTE ABILITY, Not all can use LTE to TALK and USE DATA SIMULTANEOUSLY. YOU MAY NEED TO DISABLE THE LTE PRIOR TO talking, AS the 4G LTE is mainly for the Data portion, and 3G for BOTH DATA & TALKING

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Because Public Mobile is no longer selling handsets, it is ppl's responsibility to ensure that the phones they buy and port over are 100% Compatable.

Public Mobile uses these Frequency spectrums:

3G: 850/1900 MHZ

4G LTE: 1700/2100 MHZ

4G LTE Advance: 700 MHZ ( Side note: This frequency isn't available as of yet, Telus needs to build and fully assemble this, and Handsets need to have this frequency built-in to fully take advantage of this particular spectrum)

The HSPA+4G Network has NO 2G GSM Fall back, so Check prior to purchasing. 

USE THIS Link:                         http://www.willmyphonework.net/ 

To check out whether your handset will work on the Network

IF YOU BUY HANDSET FROM a KOODO Physical store or Telus's Online store, The Handsets Most of the time don't require you to unlock, though Some might. If You buy from a Koodo Store, Handsets with the PURPLE LABEL on them can be bought outright W/O needing to become a Koodo Client

Telus's Physical Stores DON'T PERMIT Outright purchases unless you become a Telus Client.

Telus's Online Store is THE ONLY EXCEPTION; NOT ALL HANDSETS can be bought outright until 90 DAYS after their initial release

Need Help? Let's chat.