cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

So, example:

Kood, Public Mobile are considered MVNO

Fido, Chatr are considered MVNO 

Virgin Mobile, Solo Mobile at time, considered MVNO

Subsidiaries that operate Autonomously, and use the Parent Co. Network infrastructure

Haven't really heard of a MVNO having their own Towers per say.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

^The above mentioned companies are not MVNO's & they never were
Back in 2004/2005 Virgin Mobile launched as MVNO but it is no longer a MVNO.

MVNO's are PC Mobile, Petro Can, Speak out etc.
Mayor / Maire

That's strange. Wikipedia, Kood, Public Mobile are considered as MVNO.
Perhaps I need to Re-examine the Full definition of MVNO.
@chuk, if you know, Please, feel free to give us a lecture on Mobile Virtual Network Operator.
I always wanted to know. Thanks

I have been involved in the wireless industry since the early 2000, so I know quite a bit. I don't care what the wiki page says. MVNO'S are third party companies that that buy airtime/ data in a wholesale prices from companies that own there own network. Lack of MVNO's is the reason why we don't have competition in this country.
Mayor / Maire

Oh, ok. I sincerely apologize. When I read up certain carriers on Wikipedia, Fido, Public Mobile, Example, were labeld as MVNO. Perhaps someone made an Error. Please, if you have correct answers to this, feel free to inform us. How would a MVNO Work, what exactly is an MVNO, Are they independent carriers, subsidiaries, etc.?

CRTC is going to make a Ruling on Wholesale Roaming Rates on May-5-2015, Hopefully that will bring the Rates down so we will see more established MVNO from around the world launch in Canada. As of right now the rates are just too high which is why we lack MVNO's
Mayor / Maire

Would PM, Kood be considered Subsidiary carriers, or MVNO?
Also, what would a Mobile Network Operator be? Saw how Telus Mobility was labeled as a MNO, So really intrigued.

@makkahn28 wrote:
Oh, ok. I sincerely apologize. When I read up certain carriers on Wikipedia, Fido, Public Mobile, Example, were labeld as MVNO. Perhaps someone made an Error. Please, if you have correct answers to this, feel free to inform us. How would a MVNO Work, what exactly is an MVNO, Are they independent carriers, subsidiaries, etc.?

MVNO's are third Party Companies that buy wholesale wireless from established carriers with there own Networks. The Rates these established networks currently charge MVNO's are just too high at the moment therefore we lack in the MVNO business in Canada. Hopefully come May-5-2015 things will change 

Mayor / Maire

@Chuk, That info was definitely good. About time the CRTC/CCRC/Competition Bureau got up from their Lazy Buns to help us.
BTW, Have you heard of Google Fi? That alone would be something
Mayor / Maire

@Chuk, thanks for the MVNO Explanation. Thanks for pointing out that. Feel like I have the Wikis syndrome. Guess Wiki really isn't all that reliable.
Also, just curious: How did you get that makkahn28 posted, before you post your thing? Very important if I was going to quote someone, and add my own too. Just curious. Thanks