cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

I got the Samsung J3 from Costco retails (not the phone sub-division) for Public Mobile.  Per the Costco, phone is locked to the 1st SIM card I inserted which is Public Mobile. 

Now, if I plan to move to Koodo, do I need to unlock ?  any MOD can help ?  If so, please kindly unlock for me.  thousands of thanks.

Mayor / Maire

@ricebowlwrote:

I got the Samsung J3 from Costco retails (not the phone sub-division) for Public Mobile.  Per the Costco, phone is locked to the 1st SIM card I inserted which is Public Mobile. 

Now, if I plan to move to Koodo, do I need to unlock ?  any MOD can help ?  If so, please kindly unlock for me.  thousands of thanks.

Not a Samsung user myself, but there have been reports that the unlock code is supplied in the box / manual of your new Samsung phone.

You can also get the unlock code by using Samsung's chat on their website.

If you need the help of a moderator you should contact them directly by private message. They'll only  be able to unlock phones that are locked to Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile and will need the IMEI for the process to work.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, PIN, phone number, problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

Oracle

@ricebowl Here's the info you need: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Per the CRTC, as of Dec. 1, 2017 cellphone customers can ask their provider (or the device manufacturer) to unlock their phones free of charge. At the same time, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.

In 2017, Costco's inventory of Samsungs were unlocked at point of purchase but baby ducked (locked) themsleves to the carrier of the first SIM inserted. Samsung provides unlock codes for all such phones upon request.

In 2018Q1, some of Costco's inventory remains these new phones/old stock that rolled down the assembly line in 2017 under the old rules. Newest inventory are sold unlocked AND will NOT baby duck themsleves to the first carrier they see.

I have a COSTCO "SAMSUNG A5 2017" (SM-A520W), bought 2018-MAR-31, with an initial out-of-the-box firmware load of 2018-JAN-16; it is a fully unlocked, non baby ducking device, per the law.

BTW, for those of you that know about VoLTE, the A5 2017 is VoLTE ready and enabled.

Cheers,

All Canadian carriers phones are unlocked as of December 1st of last year. So if you want you can buy one from a store, outright also Telus and Koodo phones will work with public mobile without being unlocked as they are all Telus companies

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been buying phones from IBM directly. 

The price is very competive and they carry IPHONES

https://www-store.shop.ibm.com/shop/used/ca-en/icpecadepp/loginca

You do not need a code, and i hit Online Chat.

I paid $400 for an IPHONE 7, with a 15M warrenty.  They say refurbrished, but it looks brand new.
I also bought an iphone 6s for $260 for my kids, that also look new.  

Mayor / Maire

@galadriel wrote:

I have been buying phones from IBM directly. 

The price is very competive and they carry IPHONES

https://www-store.shop.ibm.com/shop/used/ca-en/icpecadepp/loginca

You do not need a code, and i hit Online Chat.

I paid $400 for an IPHONE 7, with a 15M warrenty.  They say refurbrished, but it looks brand new.
I also bought an iphone 6s for $260 for my kids, that also look new.  

@galadriel that's great, but it appears to be a sales portal not open to the general public unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are there any stores that will offer cell phones for monthly payments?  I don't have the money to buy a new phone outright and I don't have the money to change to a plan with another carrier.  And seeing as my current phone is on its last legs, I'm needing a phone very soon.

EDIT:  I should specify that at most I can pay up to $150 up front and would prefer to keep monthly payments below $20.

EDIT 2:  I should also specify that I cannot get an iPhone.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think Staples might do payments on cell phones (no contract for a plan).

Staples has pre-paid, unlocked, phones for less than $150 outright. Also, WalMart sells pre-paid phones for around the $100 mark. Find one that is for Telus/Koodo and you're good. If you're wanting a more well known phone (like a galaxy 7 etc.) then try your local repair shops. They often have refurbished ones and may be willing to do layaway or payments.