cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

@brr256 wrote:

I'm considering the Xiaomi mi Max 3 with the following:

Supported frequency bands

GSM : B2, B3, B5, B8

WCDMA : B1, B2, B5, B8

TDD-LTE : B34, B38, B39, B40, B41(120M 2535M~2655M)

FDD-LTE : B1, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B20

It should work because it has 4G/LTE bands B4 and B7, correct?

It should if you get the right version.  There's more to LTE than bands 4 and 7 though.  When these websites list specs in this manner, they sometimes list the specs for multiple versions.  TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE may be two different devices.

Angelface
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anywhere basically . If you are in Canada we have a law passed making all phones unlocked .And if your phone isn't compatible with public just call the company of the previous  sim card, and they will generate a code to unlock that right over the phone... Be sure to call because they do not do this in adults

Have your phone your going to use ready!!!

Or go anywhere! 

Brian68
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus phones and unlocked phones will work as well as some PC mobile and koodo

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Brian68 wrote:

In Canada, it doesn't matter what provider's phone you want to use (whether it's in the Telus family, or Rogers or Bell, etc.). You can take any phone purchased through Rogers, for example, and have it unlocked so that you can use it with your Public Mobile SIM. 

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cappaj wrote:

@Brian68 wrote:

In Canada, it doesn't matter what provider's phone you want to use (whether it's in the Telus family, or Rogers or Bell, etc.). You can take any phone purchased through Rogers, for example, and have it unlocked so that you can use it with your Public Mobile SIM. 

That is not entirely true. The phone has to support certain LTE or 3G bands to be supported and some phones from Rogers do not. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tav wrote:

@cappaj wrote:

@Brian68 wrote:

That is not entirely true. The phone has to support certain LTE or 3G bands to be supported and some phones from Rogers do not. 

@Tav  I thought about pointing this out too.  However, since @cappaj was talking about buying the phone from Rogers, and I don't think they've sold a phone for a very long time that isn't compatible with at least their 3G network (aka only on 2G GSM), I didn't think it was terribly helpful.  If cappaj had asserted that any phone you can use with Rogers as opposed to having purchased from was compatible, well then yes that would need an immediate qualifier similar to what you noted.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.