cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile is a new kind of no-frills business, built on simple ideals with a co-operative approach to wireless. We don’t sell phones but don’t worry, there are a number of options available for customers to purchase an affordably priced phone.   

These include retailers as:

• Walmart (Prepaid Phone)
  • Best Buy (Prepaid Phone)
  • Staples (Prepaid Phone)
  • You can also purchase a factory refreshed phone from Orchard at an affordable price.  Find out more about Orchard here.

Direct manufacturers:

1. Apple Store 
  2. Google Store 
  3. Microsoft Store 
  4. BlackBerry (BBM)
  5. One Plus One
  6. Alcatel 

You can also have your friend or family member’s old phone if they are upgrading their phone.

Ensure the phone is unlocked, compatible with our Canada-wide 4G LTE network and IMEI is available for use before completing a purchase. Click here to check phone compatibility and find out the network frequency here.

*To use data, add and select Public Mobile’s APN settings Click here.

235 REPLIES 235

firerat1980
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Also look at a site free shipping http://www.coolicool.com

They have lots of great phones free shipping

firerat1980
How is the Redmi Note 3 and what it cost to buy shipped

samgabbay
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Personally for someone who does not know anything about bands. Walmart or costo. then Unlock.

If you know what you want, i usually purchase my phone on Kijiji or Gearbest if i wanted a chinese phone just like i have now (Redmi Note 3).

Ebay is also an option but you can always message the seller and check if it will work with PB.

Cheers 😄

douzj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recommend Wal-Mart online store,  Costco online store.

In the real store, they only sell you the locked cellphone with contract.

Please be careful!

If you have a locked cellphone from Telus/Kodoo, it can be used with Public Mobile.

I've already tried and it works fine.

firerat1980
Go to koodo or telus and u will get one or a factory unlocked one

I just looked at Google Play, and so far, looks ok.

Hoping we see better prices eventually.

The era of expensive phones must come to an end, and the era of high end phones at $400 should be the new reality, in my opinion

EvilPeanut

We got my wife the Google Nexus 5x (for her new account with PM) straight from google play. It was almost $200 cheaper from Google store than it was getting it from the big 3 carriers or their sub brands. There was a Play store promo at the time for 50$ off that was applied at the checkout so we go the phone for $389, but regular retail is $439 and shipping was $0 for 2-7 days and we received it in 4. Should be worth mentioning that a USED samsung galaxy s5 sells for $340 to $360 at PMs trusted hardware provider.

With the new Nexus devices coming in October (usual time nexus devices launch every year), good chance Nexus 5x ($439) and Nexus 6p ($699) will drop in price even further this summer.

We have purchaced 2 phones (Nexus 4 and Nexus 5x) and 4 devices total (other 2 being Nexus Player and Nexus 7 Gen2 tablet) from Play store over the years, shipping is always fast and everything is always super smooth. I prefer my phones to be free of carrier and brand bloatware.

qbellxo
You can buy my galaxy s3 don't need it anymore

Ngoal
Any telus or koodoo locked phone should work. You can get unlocked phones via amazon(blu). Newegg.ca has a good selection of.unlocked phones as well

vanessapage

I was debating between buying an unlocked phone from eBay or from Amazon. I ended up going with eBay because it was a bit cheaper

Hi. I personally wouldn't trust Kijiji at all, since the risks outweigh the good. Amazon or eBay at least have some Safeguards in place. I would buy MY phone from reputable places, Like Carriers, Manufacturers, Best Buy, to avoid such hassles personally

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If you go to Red Flag Deals forum, you can read thread after thread about people taking multiple precautions and still being ripped off by sellers on each of the above. One common technique is to file an insurance claim for a lost phone months after the sale. The result is the blacklisting of the phone, and immediate termination of service.

Buyer beware!

qbellxo
Honestly if you want a cheap decent phone just go on kijiji or craigslist.. That's what I did lol 🙂

Chicklets

i see what where the $45 came from. My error.

deltatux

@Chicklets wrote:

I'm not suggesting that he pay for 4 months The point was that without a gift, he is able to cancel within the first month ( 14 Days would be better) and just pay the cost of the phone. For your information on the cost of Koodo's plans, the lowest cost is $30

@Chicklets, yes, that's without the Tab, but based on the conversation, he's been talking about with the tab which will bump the price to $45.

Chicklets

I'm not suggesting that he pay for 4 months,  BanJan did. The point was that without a gift, he is able to cancel within the first month ( 14 Days would be better) and just pay the cost of the phone. For your information on the cost of Koodo's plans, the lowest cost is $30

deltatux

@Griff wrote:

@Chicklets

Wouldn't paying 4 months of bills essentially offset the cost of the gift?

If I'm reading into correctly the least expensive plan at Koodo is $45, by 4 months that would equal out to $180, in order to get a $100 bonus gift with purchase.

@Griff has a point, makes no sense to do 4 months just for the gift but have to pay an extra $180 to cover that.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Chicklets

Wouldn't paying 4 months of bills essentially offset the cost of the gift?

If I'm reading into correctly the least expensive plan at Koodo is $45, by 4 months that would equal out to $180, in order to get a $100 bonus gift with purchase.

Chicklets

If you get a gift card or another gift then you would need to wait for 4 months so that you don't get charged for the gift,. Otherwise if you never received a gift then you can cancel within the first month and only pay the remaining amount of the phone balance  plus tax.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BanJan

You would not have to unlock the LG G3 from Koodo in order for it to work on Public Mobile's network. That being said cancellation fees are not waived after 4 months, if you were to purchase the phone on tab you would still have to pay back the amount owing on the tab after 4 months.

It would be easiest to purchase the device outright from the beginning and insert a Public Mobile sim card.

In terms of other great flagships out there a phone like the 3rd gen Moto G is a great bargain for the price.

BanJan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Koodo has the LG G3 for a great deal. 

I have a plan to get the G3 off KOODO, and use it for 4 months with Koodo, cancel the plan without any cancellation fee; unlock it, and move on to PM? 

Would that be possible? 

Are there any flagships out there where I can great deals + reliable service? 

Thanks

If You Currently don't have a Compatible device, Look Here Below:

Telus (Online)

Apple

Google

Blackberry (BBM)

One + One

Alcatel

Costco

Google Nexus

Microsoft Store

BrokenAnimator

Ncix offers some great unlocked phones, the flagship Samsung and lg as well as one plus two:

http://www.ncix.com/category/unlocked-phones-7c-1216.htm

Canada computers:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=30_415

Apple Store for your iPhone needs:

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Makes perfect sense

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Mansi_G @Lachlan_M Hopefully you can merge this post with the latest about Orchard, then it will all be in one place?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@_tien_

Thanks for sharing that piece of information!

Cheers!

_tien_
Moto X (2nd gen) is available for $399 at Staples which is a pretty good deal

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

That's wonderful to hear!

Welcome to Public Mobile.

jlush1975
My Zenphone 2 works great on PM

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

If you were paying $82 monthly, the amount that you are now paying must have come as a very pleasant shock!

Welcome to Public Mobile!
Need Help? Let's chat.