cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When we have e-sim service?

karenli0320
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have iphone 11, but public mobile did not have service for e-sim, I want to know when we can use e-sim

20 REPLIES 20

@kselmak wrote:

Thanks for the insight @Korth 

Yeah, what @kselmak  said..... I didn't know ANYTHING about e-SIM.... never heard of it before.

@srlawren wrote:

@tmwtl wrote:

Since Telus and Koodo now officially support eSIM, when can Public Mobile catch up?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/09/telus-koodo-esim-technology/

@tmwtl right after PM gets VoLTE, VoWiFi, multiple lines per account, a reliable renewal system, and access to a call centre for support.  🙂

Does that mean soon?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tmwtl wrote:

Since Telus and Koodo now officially support eSIM, when can Public Mobile catch up?

@tmwtl right after PM gets VoLTE, VoWiFi, multiple lines per account, a reliable renewal system, and access to a call centre for support.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tmwtl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Jon420

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jon420 wrote:

Soon young grasshopper

@karenli0320 wrote:

I have iphone 11, but public mobile did not have service for e-sim, I want to know when we can use e-sim

I would not make such optimistic statements unless you have a date of this availability. Public Mobile is usually very slow to adapt, and for all we know, Public Mobile may never allow the use of e-sims.

Cool story bro

@Jon420 wrote:

Soon young grasshopper

@karenli0320 wrote:

I would not make such optimistic statements unless you have a date of this availability. Public Mobile is usually very slow to adapt, and for all we know, Public Mobile may never allow the use of e-sims.

Jon420

Soon young grasshopper

@karenli0320 wrote:

@Nikosaz wrote:

You are totally wrong about the non rewritable esims. I am a Canadian living in US and have used both Verizon and Att esim activations on same phone. The phone was bought directly from the apple store.

With t mobile you can only activate prepaid esim but not on postpaid. 

I have also had Rogers esim activated on the same phone. So if I were you, I would not comment on something that you do t have first hand experience. 

Bell/Virgin/Lucky, Rogers/Fido, and Freedom sell certain eSIM-capable phones. Telus (and Koodo?) and SaskTel say they plan to sell them "around 2020". Public Mobile does not sell any phones (with or without eSIMs), of course.

The eSIMs in all these carrier-subsidized phones are (so far) not rewriteable and not reuseable - effectively making them carrier-locked (although unlocked phones can still use the physical SIM card slots on any carrier).

"BYOD" eSIMs can come from anywhere. I'm guessing you purchased your iPhone at an Apple store in USA? It'd be interesting if Apple has enough bravos to impose "their" eSIM rules on Canadian carriers.

Nikosaz

You are totally wrong about the non rewritable esims. I am a Canadian living in US and have used both Verizon and Att esim activations on same phone. The phone was bought directly from the apple store.

With t mobile you can only activate prepaid esim but not on postpaid. 

I have also had Rogers esim activated on the same phone. So if I were you, I would not comment on something that you do t have first hand experience. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

eSim is preferred by all device manufacturers for the same reason sealed batteries were introduced so that customers cannot remove or exchange them.

deketele

Well, this all seems a bit perplexing.  Most smartphone manufacturers are already moving to, or soon plan to move to, eSIMs.  People's phones become outdated or down-level and need replacement.  So with no plan to support eSIM the resellers would be on a go-out-of-business strategy.  Why would PM then be advocating referrals et al for market growth ?

@Lemony_Snicket wrote:

Besides, e-sim doesn't really make the service work better. 

eSIMs has lower component cost, size, weight, complexity vs physical SIMs. Also higher reliability, longevity, and security vs physical SIMs.

The cost savings are actually surprising - gold-plated contacts, packaging, distribution controls, etc - especially when multiplied by millions or billions of devices - though I'm too cynical to believe those savings will pass down to consumers.

The reduced physical bulk is also important. A SIM card slot is huge from the perspective of manufacturers (who've already shrunk it down to Nano SIM form factor, shrunk down to micro-USB ports, removed headphone jacks, etc). Slimmer phones and smaller toys (like smartwatches and coin-sized computer boards and chip-sized IoT gizmos) for consumers to enjoy.

The increased security comes from embedding. Maybe the scammers and hackers will figure out a way to exploit these things (as they always do, lol), but most of the criminal sorts are too lazy to develop the serious soldering and electronics skills needed to manipulate embedded logic parts. 

eSIMs can also integrate all sorts of extended (black box) components/interfaces without worrying about standardized form factors and compatibility. If they want to build proprietary cryptocircuitry or extra biometric sensors or superior radiolocation hardware then they can simply modify the eSIM electrical/logic features as needed.

eSIMs will help populate the world with billions and billions of cellular-connected or cellular-capable devices - more devices than people - transponders, cameras, alarms, drones, vehicles, wearables, smart appliances.

So eSIMs won't make the phone service work any better. But they will make the phones themselves work a little better. 

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't think Telus offers it yet and so it will likely be a long while for it to come here if ever.  Such is the weaknesses of a lower tier service.  The good thing is we save money.  Besides, e-sim doesn't really make the service work better. 

Thanks for the insight @Korth 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Probably after the post-roaming-sim service gets implemented

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Since Public is teh 3rd tier service It will peobably never have any of the latest technology of features of its bikker sister koodo  nor of the parent company Telus.    Case in point PM promtes 3g speed  if you want full LTE speed  you need to go with  koodo or telus.  Its going to be interesting to see what happens when 5g comes around. 

My understanding is that eSIMs (embedded SIMs, permanently integrated or soldered onboard) can be rewriteable - designed, in theory, so the carrier can be changed by simply contacting them by phone, online, etc.  And eSIMs can be non-rewriteable - designed, in effect, to permanently lock the device to one carrier (and they can be carrier-unlocked to comply with CCTS/CRTC wireless codes, but they are permanently linked to one subscriber account which cannot be transferred to another carrier and which cannot be reactivated after account termination). 

The only Canadian carriers which support eSIMs are Bell/Virgin/Lucky and Rogers/Fido/Chatr - only the non-rewriteable carrier-locked kinds, only on their tab/contract carrier-subsidized phones. (And worth noting that USA carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon also use exclusively non-rewriteable eSIMs.)

You can buy eSIM devices directly from device manufacturers, but most people (in USA, anyways) report that these are invariably non-rewriteable and become carrier-locked the first time they become active on a network. So even if you bought and owned the device outright you're still stuck using it on one carrier for the device's lifetime. 

Short version is that all the promised advantages and potentials of eSIMs are being used in ways which only benefit Canadian cellphone carriers, not Canadian cellphone resellers, not Canadian cellphone buyers. Much hype to hide much dirt. 

Telus doesn't use eSIMs yet (and I recall they comment last year that they planned to delay eSIM adoption because they preferred the extra "physical-token security" inherent in physical format SIM cards). I suspect that if (when) Telus does bring eSIMs to market they'll use the same non-rewriteable varieties as Bell and Rogers. Koodo would also get them. But Public does not sell any phones or phone contracts so I doubt it'll ever carry eSIM devices.

Your eSIM iPhone has a physical SIM slot which can (if unlocked) be used with any carrier. 

@GinYVR wrote:

@karenli0320Telus doesn't offer eSIM. You would need to go to Rogers, Fido, Lucky, Bell, Virgin or Freedom.

If Telus had it, Public would still be slow to implement and still might not do it. Still no LTE calling at Public.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@karenli0320Telus doesn't offer eSIM. You would need to go to Rogers, Fido, Lucky, Bell, Virgin or Freedom.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@karenli0320 wrote:

No plans have been announced so your guess is as good as anyone.

Need Help? Let's chat.