cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can we expect eSIM to become available ?

FHomer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There are significant Black Friday deals on Google Pixel phones - and I need a dual SIM phone with one of them being PM.  Is there any kind of official word as to when eSIM can be traded-in/purchased ?

26 REPLIES 26

@FHomer yes your best option is lucky mobile. they support esim, wifi calling all the good stuff. public mobiles highlight features are being able to decrease your phone bill. if you're not interested in the rewards program then you should consider switching to lucky

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@FHomer for the moment, you're out of luck then.  sorry for trying to help.  have a great life.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

FHomer

Yup, am leaning towards Lucky Mobile

@FHomer wrote:

So no, for this to work I *NEED* PM to be on eSIM.  However, I have *NOT* asked for a solution to my technical issues, but rather for the OFFICIAL and UNOFFICIAL word as to when this can happen, and plan my phone purchases accordingly - ended up getting the Pixel 4a via Koodo small tab HUP and will hope for the best

PM does not support eSIM form factor at this time.

PM has never "officially" said anything about eSIMs.

"Unofficially" I would recommend not holding your breath. eSIM migration is only now starting to trickle down to second tier, and PM's whole business model (BYOD, etc) means they'll likely be the very last Canadian operator to adopt eSIMs, maybe a few years from now.

If you want to use PM then your phone must have an available SIM card slot to support PM's SIM cards. This is the only option PM supports.

If this won't support your "needs" then you'll have to reconfigure the arrangement of other SIMs in the phone. Or choose a different phone. Or choose a different operator than PM.

FHomer

Right - so at issue is my second sim is a corporate issued Rogers SIM, and I can't easily switch that to eSIM without getting lots of management involved.  I've always traditionally used a dual SIM phone (Xiaomi - which BTW supports eSIM just in Malaysia for the Global version, and in China for the Chinese versions) but am in need of a replacement

So no, for this to work I *NEED* PM to be on eSIM.  However, I have *NOT* asked for a solution to my technical issues, but rather for the OFFICIAL and UNOFFICIAL word as to when this can happen, and plan my phone purchases accordingly - ended up getting the Pixel 4a via Koodo small tab HUP and will hope for the best

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@FHomer well at the risk of getting a snarky reply, I don't think anyone has yet suggested that if you really need to use a nano+e-sim dual-sim phone with Public Mobile right now, the workaround would be to use the physical SIM slot for PM and use the eSIM capability for your other provider. This of course assumes that your other provider supports eSIM, so disregard if you are for example using two PM accounts. This may not be an ideal workaround, but could meet your needs.  If you've already thought of this then please note I'm not trying to be condescending, just throwing out a possible alternative to your stated needs.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

aphinity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My hero!

FHomer

Wait, there must be a WIKI entry on how to use eSIM on your Apple Watch, want me to google that for you ?

aphinity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dude, I feel ya.  On a forum where people get up votes for replying for potential credit, you have to expect people will respond with whatever is at the top of their head.

I want eSIM too.  I have an Apple Watch with cellular I can't use because of no eSIM support.

Hey Public reps, any official word on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FHomer wrote:

Wow, a wiki link - it has exact date when PM will have eSIM then ?

Snark much? You seemed a little unsure of what eSIM was.

No one here other than company reps with the PM icon will have any clue when it might be supported. Go snark all over them.

Find a provider that supports eSIM and then use the PM SIM as your DUAL SIM account.

FHomer

Wow, a wiki link - it has exact date when PM will have eSIM then ?

Here is more info from Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESIM

@FHomer  At one point a long time ago. I can't remember maybe January. Tiana accidentally had a screenshot of an excel  work spreadsheet in her pictures. I notified her and she removed it. 

On the spreadsheet one task was "ESIM" and the notes basically said. Start looking into Esim and see if it's a viable option for PM.

Haven't seen or heard anything else about esim. So only PM would now which they won't tell us.

FHomer

Sorry no link to spreadsheet, as you've seen my "status" I rarely post here - just to Mods for issues.  I just saw mentions of a leaked spreadsheet when someone official was presenting something and PM was listed is eSIM for 2020

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FHomer 

Good of you to search. I've not heard any news as to if and when PM will support activating on an eSIM. But I certainly don't know everything. Can you point us to this alleged spreadsheet?

FHomer

While I appreciate the reply, as anyone can see this questions has already gone off topic.  Basically the FIRST REPLY was the most helpful, all subsequent ones are people trying to earn points by babbling on and on without reading the question

But PLEASE, keep on educating me how eSIMs works - because that's EXACTLY what I don't understand and need clarification from fellow PM end users

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is unknown if PM will support esim.  You can use the other sim slot for a physical sim.

If you need a new they can be purchased through Canadian Cell supplies currently on sale for $3.99.

@FHomer You need to take a deep breath. Generally people reply here to help out. They are just fellow customers. You may not like or appreciate the help but you can always take a breath and ignore it, like this post.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest

FHomer

Are people blindly replying for points or something ?

I need a DUAL-SIM phone, and since PIXEL works as a DUAL-SIM with a nano + eSIM, I would like to get a PM eSIM

Not asking TECHNICALLY how it works here people, just the OFFICIAL word as to when it will become available.  I saw previous posts about a leaked spreadsheet, any followup to that ?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@FHomer wrote:

There are significant Black Friday deals on Google Pixel phones - and I need a dual SIM phone with one of them being PM.  Is there any kind of official word as to when eSIM can be traded-in/purchased ?

@FHomer There are no issues. Only one of the supported sims on the Pixel phones is esim. The other is a normal nano (physical) sim. PM doesn't need to support esim for you to use that phone here. Just make sure you have a physical PM sim card.

FHomer

Sorry dude, you do have to "BUY" an eSIM when it comes to PM - it'll be same model as Telus and Koodo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FHomer wrote:

The "e" in eSIM means embedded. You don't buy an eSIM. You activate a service using it. But PM doesn't support activating on an eSIM.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@FHomer Only PM knows. There are no official news about that yet.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@FHomer wrote:

No official word yet from PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.