cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your "Daily Driver"?

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I recently broke my phone and will be in search of something to replace it, might just buy another one (I honestly don't know at this point). I'm wondering what you all use, perhaps that could give me ideas for myself. Do state why you use your phone if there is a specific reason you like it.

92 REPLIES 92

Obice

I think I'll swing for an LG V30, it looks decent enough. I hope the UI is alright though, I can't stand Samsung's... I like a pure experience.

Obice

@srlawrenI'm aware of all that concerning audio. I have a sound card in my computer that is supposed to be studio grade. Having said that, you obviously need something studio grade to listen to for that "grade" to sound proper. I have a mix of MP3's and FLAC's on my computer and I've been using a trial of TIDAL to listen to whatever they have in studio grade or as they refer to it as "Master" and their "Master" definitely sounds masterful, unfortunately most of the music offered is only in "HIFI" or CD quality which sounds better and greater than an MP3 for sure but isn't "Master". $20/mo is a hard pill to swallow for a service that only offers SOME "Mastered" material.

As for LG I've had one phone the G3 which sounded amazing except it was a slow phone.

Sound Card: https://www.asus.com/us/Sound-Cards/Xonar_Essence_ST/

Speakers: Altec Lansing ACS48

$_35

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Obice wrote:

I'm not sure if I could be considered an "audiophile" but I am definitely particular about how my audio sounds. MP3s are garbage (they sound passable) I like high fidelity audio.

@Obice if encoded well at a high bitrate, mp3 can sound pretty good.  Also depends on the quality of the source material being encoded, the quality of the equipment doing the decoding and amplifying, the quality of the headphones or speakers you're listening on, the ambient noise around you, etc.  Many people in many situations won't hear much if any difference.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78

@Obice wrote:

I'm not sure what the difference would be but the A8 has USB C and Google sells an "audiophile-grade" DAC that connects via USB C. So maybe that's an option.

LG are known to use very high quality DACs in some of their devices, like the newer V-series.  It is among the best (if not the best) you can get in a built-in DAC in a mobile device smart phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Obice

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I got my eyes on a LG V30, Samsung Galaxy A8 and Motorola G6. Interestingly the A8 is by Fido, it's pre-owned and about $270 after tax.

Out of those three, I would go with the Samsung Galaxy A8 if it's the 2018 version.  In theory, the LG V30 is higher end, but on-paper specs don't always lead to a better product.

@computergeek541 if you're into either high-res audio (via headphone jack, of course) or recording video/vlogging, or both, then the V30 is a very, very good choice.  If neither of those thigns are important to you, then it's a potentially less compelling option.

I'm not sure if I could be considered an "audiophile" but I am definitely particular about how my audio sounds. MP3s are garbage (they sound passable) I like high fidelity audio.

I'm not sure what the difference would be but the A8 has USB C and Google sells an "audiophile-grade" DAC that connects via USB C. So maybe that's an option.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I got my eyes on a LG V30, Samsung Galaxy A8 and Motorola G6. Interestingly the A8 is by Fido, it's pre-owned and about $270 after tax.

Out of those three, I would go with the Samsung Galaxy A8 if it's the 2018 version.  In theory, the LG V30 is higher end, but on-paper specs don't always lead to a better product.

@computergeek541 if you're into either high-res audio (via headphone jack, of course) or recording video/vlogging, or both, then the V30 is a very, very good choice.  If neither of those thigns are important to you, then it's a potentially less compelling option.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Obice wrote:

Obice

@srlawren wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@Obice the A8 is a very good device, my uncle has one.  If you were willing to move to a small tab plan at Koodo, you could have a brand new one for $240+tax ($0 down and $10+tax/month for 24 months).  https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-a8

I remember when the V30 came out I was super excited about it.  It's a great device probably still.  Biggest drawback for me is the LG flavour of Android, not my cup of tea.  That, and when it came out, it was relatively expensive, more than I wanted to spend at the time.  I'm sure it's a better price now.  The G6 is an option too but with the G-series being relatively inexpensive to start with, you might want to have a look at the newer G7 and G8 families.  

Capture.PNG

(I took a screencap and I'm doing it this way to not be flagged.)

srlawren

@Obice wrote:

@Obice the A8 is a very good device, my uncle has one.  If you were willing to move to a small tab plan at Koodo, you could have a brand new one for $240+tax ($0 down and $10+tax/month for 24 months).  https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-a8

I remember when the V30 came out I was super excited about it.  It's a great device probably still.  Biggest drawback for me is the LG flavour of Android, not my cup of tea.  That, and when it came out, it was relatively expensive, more than I wanted to spend at the time.  I'm sure it's a better price now.  The G6 is an option too but with the G-series being relatively inexpensive to start with, you might want to have a look at the newer G7 and G8 families.  

Obice

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

(threads merged)

I had forgotten about these threads.

When I saw your recent message about wanting to buy a phone, I thought it all sounded familiar and I was able to find some discussuon that you were having about phone recommendations and about which you should purcahse. I think it's just a matter of time until you find a deal that you can't resist. Perhaps, one of the retailers will have a Black Friday special.

Right.

Surely I'm one of those individuals that seems to be able to find an excuse for anything or to complain about anything, having said that, putting aside cost, there is also durability which I think I can make a blanket statement about by saying nothing is built to last and be pretty safe saying so.

There are a few phones I'm looking at that I'm interested in and hopefully when I get paid I could get one.

@Obice wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

(threads merged)

When I saw your recent message about wanting to buy a phone, I thought it all sounded familiar and I was able to find some discussuon that you were having about phone recommendations and about which you should purchase. I think it's just a matter of time until you find a deal that you can't resist. Perhaps, one of the retailers will have a Black Friday special.

Obice

@computergeek541 wrote:

(threads merged)

Obice

@will13am wrote:

Wow, those phones are ancient.  I used to have a lot more hair when they were first released.  I am not a fan of carrier phones and I like to try new stuff.  My latest trial was the Umidigi brand.  They are being featured on amazon.ca as a replacement for the BLU brand.  Umidigi offers fantastic value, so you can replace phones yearly without impairing the budget.

Old isn't dead, new isn't best.

I like the Note 4 and below for its removable battery a feature lost in most smartphones today. Also it has a 16:9 aspect ratio none of this goofy 19:9 or 18:9.5 stuff to try to make the screen wider or broader.

(threads merged)

Wow, those phones are ancient.  I used to have a lot more hair when they were first released.  I am not a fan of carrier phones and I like to try new stuff.  My latest trial was the Umidigi brand.  They are being featured on amazon.ca as a replacement for the BLU brand.  Umidigi offers fantastic value, so you can replace phones yearly without impairing the budget.

Obice

Hi,

I wouldn't say that I'm in a rush to get another phone, I've had far too many that's for sure, I actually wanna go back to the feature/flip phone days but smartphones are far too useful not to have.

I digress, I'm wondering what you currently use because maybe I'll get it myself. I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 4 (running android 9) and I have an iPhone SE that I was using but stopped because it's finicky to run (shuts off in the cold, impossible to transfer files to/from it without iTunes, I could go on). I'm actually using the iPhone as a Fongo/TextNow device at the moment.

Obice

@Luddite wrote:

@Obice Since you want to tinker. How about a phone designed for ease of repair by DIYers? https://shop.fairphone.com/en/?ref=footer

Android OS it seems. Robot Sad

At $330, no thanks. It is an interesting concept though.

So why do you prefer iOS over android? You seem quite adamant on it.

@Obice Since you want to tinker. How about a phone designed for ease of repair by DIYers? https://shop.fairphone.com/en/?ref=footer

Android OS it seems. Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Obice

@GinYVR wrote:

@ObiceMy reference to choice is when you buy, not what kind of phone you buy, especially when the holiday shopping season is near.

True... except I have not bought a phone from a physical retail store in years. I think the last phone I bought was an HTC Desire something and that was 2016-17.

Obice

@joedf wrote:

I agree, phones are getting too expensive, but they are also getting pretty fancy too. That said, a phone is phone.

I do like Motorola's budget phones Smiley Very Happy

If worse came to worst I have a collection of flip phones to resort to. Smiley LOL To hell with so called "smarts".

@ObiceMy reference to choice is when you buy, not what kind of phone you buy, especially when the holiday shopping season is near.

joedf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree, phones are getting too expensive, but they are also getting pretty fancy too. That said, a phone is phone.

I do like Motorola's budget phones Smiley Very Happy

Obice

@GinYVR wrote:

@ObiceAny phone will heat up if it use data and drains power, that's just how microwave works. Pretty sure if you use an Android, Spotify or Apple Music will give you the same issue.  Those are software issue that you can mitigate. However hardware design defects are impossible to fix once production starts, especially for low volume models like the Pixel.

As I mention in other threads, what for resellers like BestBuy offers 300 gift certificates on Koodo activation (I think they did it last August for back to school).. if you need it now, you don't have much of a choice.

You always have a choice.

I don't need to get rid of my iPhone it would just be nice to get a decent android phone for things the iPhone cannot do.

Obice

@joedf wrote:

I've had my iPhone 4s, then Moto E2, and then my beloved iPhone 5s which I kept for such a long time because it was a small but a relatively speedy phone. It did everything I needed it too. However, the battery eventually gave out after 3-4 years. I finally switched back to android and I really like it too. I decided to go for a more expensive phone but it was well worth it after being on used and/or budget phones for so long.

I got the Samsung Galaxy S10e on special, and I have no regrets about it. I absolutely love everything about it. It's even smaller than the Google Pixel (2) which was another smallish but flagship phone that was a contender for me.

I highly recommend it if you want a fast, practical, quality phone that is relatively in today's phat phone phabelt market. Smiley Very Happy

Interesting choice. I'm looking to pay like $200 though. Yeah not much at all in today's world but I don't think any phone is worth more than $300 and that's if you absolutely love it.

@ObiceAny phone will heat up if it use data and drains power, that's just how microwave works. Pretty sure if you use an Android, Spotify or Apple Music will give you the same issue.  Those are software issue that you can mitigate. However hardware design defects are impossible to fix once production starts, especially for low volume models like the Pixel.

As I mention in other threads, what for resellers like BestBuy offers 300 gift certificates on Koodo activation (I think they did it last August for back to school).. if you need it now, you don't have much of a choice.

joedf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had my iPhone 4s, then Moto E2, and then my beloved iPhone 5s which I kept for such a long time because it was a small but a relatively speedy phone. It did everything I needed it too. However, the battery eventually gave out after 3-4 years. I finally switched back to android and I really like it too. I decided to go for a more expensive phone but it was well worth it after being on used and/or budget phones for so long.

I got the Samsung Galaxy S10e on special, and I have no regrets about it. I absolutely love everything about it. It's even smaller than the Google Pixel (2) which was another smallish but flagship phone that was a contender for me.

I highly recommend it if you want a fast, practical, quality phone that is relatively small in today's phat phone phabelt market. Smiley Very Happy

Obice

@GinYVR wrote:

@ObicePixel 2 does have some manufacturer design defects. There is an ongoing class action in the US about it. As long as you get a valid extended Canadian warranty, you should be okay. (US class action settlement doesn't cover Canada and the defects are often terminal and you don't get discounts in repairs if you are Canadian).

https://www.classlawgroup.com/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-lawsuit/

Google, LG and HTC are defendents in the lawsuit.

However it seems the Google Pixel 3 series seems to be a bit better in terms of defects (so far). Since there is often deals on the 3a eg Koodo, I recommend getting that instead.

Well now this presents a problem, aha. I want a phone that has as little defects as possible.

I would shout for Apple but please, I've had more hardware issues with Apple than any other brand. Although my iPhone SE works fine it runs into issues with certain tasks; if I download large amounts of music from Apple Music it kills the battery quickly, if the phone gets hot games fail to respond to touch properly. I can live with these defects because the prior doesn't affect the phone since I stopped using it and the latter only happens when playing games or doing a lot (and I'm a light user).

Unfortunately the phones worth buying are made expensive so you gotta go on a plan 'cause no one can afford it and the cheap phones are cheap because they break faster.

@ObicePixel 2 does have some manufacturer design defects. There is an ongoing class action in the US about it. As long as you get a valid extended Canadian warranty, you should be okay. (US class action settlement doesn't cover Canada and the defects are often terminal and you don't get discounts in repairs if you are Canadian).

https://www.classlawgroup.com/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-lawsuit/

Google, LG and HTC are defendents in the lawsuit.

Google does have better RMA infrastructure than LG or HTC.. but it is still horrible if you really need service.

However it seems the Google Pixel 3 series seems to be a bit better in terms of defects (so far). Since there is often deals on the 3a eg Koodo, I recommend getting that instead.

Obice

It would seem the highest voted phone is the Pixel.

So I'll look around for one, and as for the phones being "old", everything ages and the BEST thing about android is that you can usually mod your phone with the best and possibly very customizable software.

As for iPhones, @Luddite, they aren't something that I'm devout to. Mine works great but I'd very, very much like a phone that I can tinker with and don't require software to do so... I'll likely keep it around still for Apple-only things, like FaceTime.

On the other hand, I don't want an android phone because it's Google and I have been abstaining from Google because I don't like all the data collection. Yeah, I know that Apple does it too but remember that Apple's main objective is selling products to you at unreasonable fortunes that fans / users accept because it "just works", while Google's main objective is its search engine... a gold mine of collecting user data and it doesn't stop there, Google has its roots planted in most popular websites -- there is no escape really other than avoid the Internet (AHAHA).

I won't do a hashtag 'cause those are stupid, # is a number sign, however... NEVER BE A FAN BOY/GIRL.

@Obice None on my list for consideration; wedded to iPhones. Would get a used one over any Android phone. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

funpig

The phones on your list are pretty old.  I am not sure if you are looking for used or refurbished. With an older phone you risk getting a deteriorating battery and the cpu's are a bit slow to handle newer apps.  FYI, I still use an ancient Nexus 5 and it still meets my needs.

The Pixel 3a is a current phone.  My wife just got one and it is an excellent phone.  The camera is one of the best. The Pixel 4 is about the come out.  The 3a may get further discounts.

Need Help? Let's chat.