cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your "Daily Driver"?

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I recently broke my phone and will be in search of something to replace it, might just buy another one (I honestly don't know at this point). I'm wondering what you all use, perhaps that could give me ideas for myself. Do state why you use your phone if there is a specific reason you like it.

92 REPLIES 92

Obice

@srlawren wrote:

Currently:  OnePlus 5T (sinc Nov 22, 2017).

Very soon:  However, I'm currently waiting for a package from AliExpress with a shiny new OnePlus 7.  (Didn't want the Pro, which is why I'm importing a non-Pro OP7 via Ali).  I hear it takes forever to get stuff ordered there, so I have no idea when it will arrive, but I'm anxiously awaiting it.  🙂

If AliExpress is anything like BangGood it quite possibly will be months.

Obice

@zero_gravity wrote:

I did the root and Rom flash on my old phone. It was an HTC M8 that I got back in 2014. I used resurrection remix which is based on linageOS. It allowed me to put android 8.1 on a phone that stops support at 6.

Since then, I got a Motorola G7 plus only a couple months ago. Have to say, this is an excellent phone for the price. If you don't care about getting the best thing out there, definitely look at the G7's. It's still plenty fast for most tasks and it's as close as you can get to stock android without buying a pixel. There is no bloatware.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5665&idPhone2=9163&idPhone3=9533

I think I might have looked at the wrong phone before, this has a teardrop notch and I thought it had more of what the iPhone's exhibit. If I can find it cheap, on sale, whatever perhaps it would be something to try. The Note 9 is as high on the "Note" series I would go because the Note 10 has a "pinhole" camera which is a stupid design... stupider than the notch. Aha...

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I use only iPhones

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Currently: Previously:  OnePlus 5T (sinc Nov 22, 2017).

Very soon:  However, I'm currently waiting for a package from AliExpress with a shiny new OnePlus 7.  (Didn't want the Pro, which is why I'm importing a non-Pro OP7 via Ali).  I hear it takes forever to get stuff ordered there, so I have no idea when it will arrive, but I'm anxiously awaiting it.  🙂

Currently:  My OnePlus 7 has arrived.  Loving it so far!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Obice

@zero_gravity wrote:

I did the root and Rom flash on my old phone. It was an HTC M8 that I got back in 2014. I used resurrection remix which is based on linageOS. It allowed me to put android 8.1 on a phone that stops support at 6.

Since then, I got a Motorola G7 plus only a couple months ago. Have to say, this is an excellent phone for the price. If you don't care about getting the best thing out there, definitely look at the G7's. It's still plenty fast for most tasks and it's as close as you can get to stock android without buying a pixel. There is no bloatware.

Right. I've been eyeing the Moto G6 / G6 Plus. I don't lie notches. Man LOL

I've been wondering about trading my mom her HTC phone for my phone, and then put a custom ROM on the HTC since it is running nougat.

zero_gravity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Obice

@tehowennathe wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

CyanogenMod and LineageOS are two of the most popular roms.  You have to flash the roms and some people are not technically inclined to do it.

I always wanted to do that but always been afraid to brick my phone. End up using a launcher instead.

I was running havoc-OS on my Note 3, running android 9 which was an "extended" or "highly customizable" AOSP (Android Open Source Project, as vanilla as it gets) of Android.

See I don't care for launchers I'd rather just use a different ROM altogether for complete control, it's true that custom ROMs aren't 100% stable but that's what you gotta deal with if you don't like other popular brands such as Samsung/LG.

The Havoc-OS ROM I had was by far and away the most stable ROM I ever tried.

tehowennathe

@Triguy wrote:

CyanogenMod and LineageOS are two of the most popular roms.  You have to flash the roms and some people are not technically inclined to do it.

I always wanted to do that but always been afraid to brick my phone. End up using a launcher instead.

tehowennathe

@Obice wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

I am using a Blu Vivo XI+. It's very slow on updates but the phone is solid. I love the phone. Still haven't gotten pie yet but Blu says it's almost ready for release. 

If your someone who doesn't care if they have a flagship or not, Blu makes some solid phones. Yes I know they had issues in the past but they have gotten better. 

Should note it's almost stock Android. There are a few pre-installed apps but very minimal compared to some other manufacturers.

Personally I have not heard much about Blu so I have no idea of their past. I don't really care to have flagships, they are just expensive because they got all the perks.

I would prefer to have a phone with a 5.5 inch display or maybe larger, 1080p maybe 2K, speaker and headphone jack, and developer support so that when the brand decides not to support the device, there are still ROMs for the device. I find it very capitalistic to support a device for a short period when it can last much longer just to get into your wallet.

Really it's all depends on what your budget is. 

Phone is American designed. Can find it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-V0311WW-VIVO-Plus-Smartphone/dp/B07FWNBDPP/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=vivo+xi... I gotten it when it went on sale a while back for $200. It's more in the mid range smartphone prices. I'd also recommend the Blu Vivo XL4 as it's under $300

Obice

@tehowennathe wrote:

I am using a Blu Vivo XI+. It's very slow on updates but the phone is solid. I love the phone. Still haven't gotten pie yet but Blu says it's almost ready for release. 

If your someone who doesn't care if they have a flagship or not, Blu makes some solid phones. Yes I know they had issues in the past but they have gotten better. 

Should note it's almost stock Android. There are a few pre-installed apps but very minimal compared to some other manufacturers.

Personally I have not heard much about Blu so I have no idea of their past. I don't really care to have flagships, they are just expensive because they got all the perks.

I would prefer to have a phone with a 5.5 inch display or maybe larger, 1080p maybe 2K, speaker and headphone jack, and developer support so that when the brand decides not to support the device, there are still ROMs for the device. I find it very capitalistic to support a device for a short period when it can last much longer just to get into your wallet.

tehowennathe

@Triguy wrote:

I'm using a Oneplus 3 and 6T.  They are using an almost stock version of Android and usually get software updates faster then most manufacturers. The only downside is the camera is not as good as a Pixel or Samsung phone.  I had a Samsung phone and it was slow with the bloatware.  

Yes my Galaxy J5 from 2016 was very slow. It was back when Samsung added Microsoft office and all its apps to the phone. Hated that they took so much space and slowed the phone. Was my worst experience with Samsung and it's bloatware. Now that I have my Blu Vivo XI+ and I go back to my Galaxy just for fun I really how slow it truly was.

tehowennathe

Obice

@Triguy wrote:

I'm using a Oneplus 3 and 6T.  They are using an almost stock version of Android and usually get software updates faster then most manufacturers. The only downside is the camera is not as good as a Pixel or Samsung phone.  I had a Samsung phone and it was slow with the bloatware.  

True enough about Samsung being slow. Man LOL

I rarely use the camera and unless I suddenly get hired to be a professional at some company the quality of a camera does not bother me much.

Screenshot_20190826-084418.jpg

What you see is pretty much what I use my phone for. Had I had an unlocked phone I'd have the normal phone and texting icons rather than Fongo. I'd prefer the screen be at least HD since I like to watch YouTube before bed and I don't like fuzziness.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Obice

@iguy416 wrote:

I use Google Pixel 2XL.  Have been using the Google phones for many years. I also go back and forth with iPhones from time to time. The Google phones keep winning. Simple pure Android experience. Apple iOs hasn't really changed that much in the last 10 years. Your home screen looks the same today as it did then, for the most part. With Android, you can make it look like whatever you want. Love it! Love Google phones!

The Pixel 3a is enticing although storage would be a problem. 64GB without an expansion option is not a lot. My iPhone has 32GB and I somewhat regret buying it just because of that. I like to have more storage than I'd use so that I don't run out. Some things are better to have in abundance. The Pixel 2 or 3 are both very pricey.

iguy416
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I use Google Pixel 2XL.  Have been using the Google phones for many years. I also go back and forth with iPhones from time to time. The Google phones keep winning. Simple pure Android experience. Apple iOs hasn't really changed that much in the last 10 years. Your home screen looks the same today as it did then, for the most part. With Android, you can make it look like whatever you want. Love it! Love Google phones!

Obice

@stonechucker wrote:

@Obice, I’m a fan of stock Android phones.  I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the LG Nexus 5, and I’m now on the Google Pixel 3a.  I honestly have nothing but problems with phones that mess with stock Android.

I’ve used iPhones, but I don’t like them, but saying that, I love my iPadAirs, I’m on my second one now.  I personally find the phone to be frustrating, and just not for me.

For work, I had as my very first cell phone, a BlackBerry 6100.  Six years of absolute love in a business environment.

If you love any phone, or at least have a preference you’re happy to use again, go for that one.

Now, as for your possession of a Bell provided subsidized phone that hasn’t been paid off, you should know your are illegally in procession of that device.  Act accordingly.

I see. Personally I don't care for stock anything, I like to mess around with everything. Custom ROMs are definitely not 100% stable but are fun to play around with and the one I had on my Note 3 was as stable as any else I could find. Other than the "sound" section where one picks the ringtones the ROM worked fine.

The sound would crash upon trying to open it, going back to the default sound picker fixed this.

As for the bell phone, I don't see how my possession of it is illegal. My friend's friend gave him it and then my friend gave it to me. I suppose owing a company money might make it an "illegal" possession but that's really between the owner of the device whom abandoned it and the company. Should I get any knocks on my door about it, I'll happily hand it over, it's worth like $50 at the most.

@Obice, I’m a fan of stock Android phones.  I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the LG Nexus 5, and I’m now on the Google Pixel 3a.  I honestly have nothing but problems with phones that mess with stock Android.

I’ve used iPhones, but I don’t like them, but saying that, I love my iPadAirs, I’m on my second one now.  I personally find the phone to be frustrating, and just not for me.

For work, I had as my very first cell phone, a BlackBerry 6100.  Six years of absolute love in a business environment.

If you love any phone, or at least have a preference you’re happy to use again, go for that one.

Now, as for your possession of a Bell provided subsidized phone that hasn’t been paid off, you should know your are illegally in procession of that device.  Act accordingly.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

Am big on the BlackBerry 10 line. I switch between Q10, Classic, and Passport. Currently on the Passport and while it's an older phone, it's a powerhouse.

I'd strongly recommend these for productivity and if you do a lot of communications. Perfect for email, texting, and calls. They do browsing just fine too and there are some apps. I wouldn't recommend if you rely on a lot of apps. If that's the case, I'd look for a low or mid tier Android phone.

I did love my old BB OS10. It had security issues (a good thing) with some public wifi's with no override so unusable. I used it for hotspot for a bit too but then it was cutting out on too many occassions. I tried my Z10 and Z30 and same thing. With an old Windows Phone it doesn't seem to.

I got a new car that had a compatible reference list that included the S7 so I got a used one from one of those cell repair places that also sell phones. Then of course that opened to the world of a gazillion programs.

But yes for sole-phone, communications-only and no frills...it's a great phone. I just out-grew it.

Sorry to see you leave the BB10 fold but I get it! I guess you'll be changing your username next? 😉 

@Obice wrote:

@YVR wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@YVR wrote:

@Obice 

That old android locked to bell legally has to be unlocked upon request to Bell. 

I am aware of this. There is one clause to that though and that being there is money owing on the device. The device was given to me past down from a few friends. I cannot and will not pay for the device and won't bother asking the owner to pay up. The device is cheap and just not worth the hassle.

@Obice Makes sense. One last thing you could try if its worth the money is using a third party unlocking service.  there are some on ebay if you want to use that phone on other carriers

How would I go about finding one of these services on eBay? I believe they would look for an unlock code in the carrier's database and unless released by (in this case) Bell, this wouldn't work.

Some unlock code sellers say that they have access to manufactuer databases, rather than the carriers ones. When they use this source, they usually say it takes longer and charge a little more.

Obice

@YVR wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@YVR wrote:

@Obice 

That old android locked to bell legally has to be unlocked upon request to Bell. 

I am aware of this. There is one clause to that though and that being there is money owing on the device. The device was given to me past down from a few friends. I cannot and will not pay for the device and won't bother asking the owner to pay up. The device is cheap and just not worth the hassle.

@Obice Makes sense. One last thing you could try if its worth the money is using a third party unlocking service.  there are some on ebay if you want to use that phone on other carriers

How would I go about finding one of these services on eBay? I believe they would look for an unlock code in the carrier's database and unless released by (in this case) Bell, this wouldn't work.

Tav

Moto G7 Play. Awesome budget phone that won't sting too bad if you break it. 

YVR

@Obice wrote:

@YVR wrote:

@Obice 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mh1983 wrote:

Am big on the BlackBerry 10 line. I switch between Q10, Classic, and Passport. Currently on the Passport and while it's an older phone, it's a powerhouse.

I'd strongly recommend these for productivity and if you do a lot of communications. Perfect for email, texting, and calls. They do browsing just fine too and there are some apps. I wouldn't recommend if you rely on a lot of apps. If that's the case, I'd look for a low or mid tier Android phone.

I did love my old BB OS10. It had security issues (a good thing) with some public wifi's with no override so unusable. I used it for hotspot for a bit too but then it was cutting out on too many occassions. I tried my Z10 and Z30 and same thing. With an old Windows Phone it doesn't seem to.

I got a new car that had a compatible reference list that included the S7 so I got a used one from one of those cell repair places that also sell phones. Then of course that opened to the world of a gazillion programs.

But yes for sole-phone, communications-only and no frills...it's a great phone. I just out-grew it.

Obice

@YVR wrote:

@Obice 

YVR

@Obice 

@mh1983 wrote:

What phone were you using before it broke? What are the main things you did with your phone?

Unfotunately, Blackberry 10 is obsolete.  I'm not going to say anything good or bad about the operating system, except that software developers long abandoned it (and many never caught on).  Official support will also be discontinued soon.  I can't see many people willing to spend money on such a device.

(thread moved to Phones and Hardware category)

Obice

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

I recently broke my phone and will be in search of something to replace it, might just buy another one (I honestly don't know at this point). I'm wondering what you all use, perhaps that could give me ideas for myself. Do state why you use your phone if there is a specific reason you like it.

Peronally, I like the Samsung Android-based phones for a feature that most devices don't have. When screen mirroring, these devices almost completely turn the screen off.  This saves battery power, at least if it has an OLED screen.  When using Mircast on most devices, the screen stays completely on, and the battery drains very quickly.

I see.

I like Samsung for the hardware they use, the software just irks me. I don't tend to mirror anything although I can see how that would be useful.

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Peronally, I like the Samsung Android-based phones for a feature that most devices don't have. When screen mirroring, these devices almost completely turn the screen off.  This saves battery power, at least if it has an OLED screen.  When using Mircast on most devices, the screen stays completely on, and the battery drains very quickly.

Need Help? Let's chat.