8 REPLIES 8

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure that your phone is unlocked.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Janice26 

Any phone that would work with Telus or Koodo will work with pm.

Are you looking at new furnished or used

What is your budget

Umidigi line seems to be popular around here, very good specs for fraction of usual price. I heard good things about f2 and A5 pro, apparently a7 pro is coming out for about 220 CAD

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Janice26, buy what you can afford, and nothing more. Buy what features are most important to you because, in a year's time, technology will most definitely change. Don't buy the cheapest phone, because you pay what you get. A lot of lemons out there. I got a phone that had lots of RAM, and bigger memory storage. And a great camera. And I was thrilled with that. I myself bought myself an Asus Zenfone3 5.5", 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, with micro SD card support up to 128GB. I bought my phone in 2017. I got my dad the Asus ZenFone 4. And my mom, the Asus Zenfone 6. 

Remember these key points:

• Is speed the most important. How much RAM? RAM can let more apps run in the background without slowing your phone down.
  • Camera? Video? Is taking photos and videos important to you. 
  • Dual SiM or a Single Sim card in the phone. 
  • Dual Sim? Yes, you can add more space to the internal card as well to your phone
  • How much storage do you need on your phone? For games, apps, photos, videos, etc
  • Is the phone unlocked or locked
  • Buyer beware. Is the phone legit, or a stolen one. Buy from a reliable source. I buy from Amazon. Craigslist, Kijiji or eBay, is questionable.
  • How long are you planning to keep it?
  • How good is the battery? 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Have a look at the selection of refurbished phones available on-line at BestBuy.ca. I got an iphone se a couple of years ago and it's still working like new. They have other brands as well.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

You can also use this site to check out any potential phone purchases that would be compatible with PM.

https://willmyphonework.net/

@geopublic wrote:

@Janice26  Look for a phone that supports the following bands:

3G: 850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE: Band12-700MHz, Band17-700MHz, Band5-850MHz, Band4-AWS, Band2-1900MHz, Band7-2600MHz

I'll add that while LTE compatibility is desireable, it isn't strictly required.  @Janice26 : Any phone that you get wil need that UMTS 850 or 1900MHz part or phone calls won't be possible.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Janice26 tell us how much you are willing to spend, and how technical you are, and then we can make some suggestions. Stay safe. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Janice26  Look for a phone that supports the following bands:

3G: 850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE: Band12-700MHz, Band17-700MHz, Band5-850MHz, Band4-AWS, Band2-1900MHz, Band7-2600MHz
Need Help? Let's chat.