cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to the data (text messages etc.) on my phone when I remove the sim

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I finally got a new phone.

What happens to the data (text messages etc.) on my old phone when I remove the sim. will they still be on the old phone. Will they disappear?

I have literally a hundred or more texts that I want to keep to archive, before sarting usiing the new phone.

Should I archive them in some way before before removing the sim. tehre must me some sort of archiving app by now. I looked about 3-4 years ago and there absoloutly nothing. I couldnt believe it

I havent moved around sim and have onld had one phone and never switched around or use other sims before

10 REPLIES 10

@will13am wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Bubba 

Try what @will13am  mentioned, and if that doesn't work for you, you might want to try "SyncDroid", from the Google Play Store. When using it, you can backup whichever files you want, to a computer, and then restore those files onto the new phone.... or, at least it worked for me. 👍 

Syncdroid is not very useful for backing up SMS and call logs.  These files are not readily accessible.  Unless you have root access on the phone, I am not sure how syncdroid is able to pull the data from the messaging and phone app.  If you have tried it, please share the instructions. 

Hmmm, I didn't even see this post 'til @Bubba  posted here again! 😮 

Anyway, it's been at least a month since I last used it(think I've used it twice), and I don't recall FOR SURE, but it seems to me it was actually fairly intuitive. ISTR, that while having the phone hooked up to the 'puter, the app, on the 'puter, shows a list of things you can backup(contacts, texts, pics, vids, etc.), and IIRC, it was simply a matter of clicking in a checkbox for each one you want to backup, and then hit the "backup" button(or whatever it was called). Again, ISTR simply hooking up the phone I wanted to restore to, clicking the checkbox for the items I wanted to restore, and then it did it just fine.

I'm probably going to have to do this again, sometime in the next week or so, so I'll refresh my memory then.

Bubba

So all the messaages are still on my old phones when I moved the service to the new phones. Also I didnt remove the sim as I had to get a new Sim.

But most likely the messages remain on the phone. uless when you set up your phone you can now specifically change the setting to have it save to the sim. I think the default is to save to the phone itself.

I did see on the software Will was mentioning but I didnt want to install it as there was not much sopace and I didnt wasnt all the old stuff on my new phone.

So the app will suggested would be the best for most people

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Bubba 

Try what @will13am  mentioned, and if that doesn't work for you, you might want to try "SyncDroid", from the Google Play Store. When using it, you can backup whichever files you want, to a computer, and then restore those files onto the new phone.... or, at least it worked for me. 👍 

Syncdroid is not very useful for backing up SMS and call logs.  These files are not readily accessible.  Unless you have root access on the phone, I am not sure how syncdroid is able to pull the data from the messaging and phone app.  If you have tried it, please share the instructions. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba 

@Bubba wrote:

I have a old LG and the the is umidigi

the umidigi is asking if I want to transfer. I dont want to move all the old crap from my phone. I have vids and photos on tehre but I will easily dump them on a drive soon. I dont want to transfer all that also.

I want to make sure all the text messages are kept with the dates and time stamps

As fasr as I know there is no back up on the LG, it was a solid phone buts its very old with very little ROM space. All my vids and photos area on the card

I want to start fresh with new apps etc, many dowloaded apps stopeed workking probably due to a too old andriod operating syastem

@Bubba , install this app from the play store onto the LG phone and backup your SMS and call logs.  Transfer the two xml files from the app folder from old phone to new phone.  Install the same app on the Umidigi and restore from the two xml files.  Easy Peasy.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Bubba

the umidigi is asking if I want to transfer. I dont want to move all the old crap from my phone. I have vids and photos on tehre but I will easily dump them on a drive soon. I dont want to transfer all that also.

I want to make sure all the text messages are kept with the dates and time stamps

As fasr as I know there is no back up on the LG, it was a solid phone buts its very old with very little ROM space. All my vids and photos area on the card

I want to start fresh with new apps etc, many dowloaded apps stopeed workking probably due to a too old andriod operating syastem

Bubba

What is your old phone. It should have a backup option to back up messagea.

Also as @hairbag1  asked what is new phone? .. most phones have capability to transfer from old phone to new one.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

What brand are both phones ?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

They'll still stay on your old phone

Only if you actually erase the message it would be gone from old phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.