cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
bolddoodieS9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wet phone (real wet)

Don't laugh --  my phone went through the washing machine (left in a pants pocket) cycle. Took it apart and dried everything. Waited a day and tried to start it -- it did! Fired up right away, but two problems immediately appeared: 1) it did not recognize the PM sim card, and 2) I couldn't get past the opening screen -- it's a swipe screen and won't recognize my swipe attempts.

 

My questions are:

1) Could my sim card have been totally ruined? Think it will work in another phone? If it is damaged, will it cause damage to another device if I test it?

2) Could water have gotten under the opening screen and desensitized it to a swipe?

 

If you have a suggestion, I would be happy to hear it. Thank you in advance for assistance.


Accepted Solutions
bolddoodieS9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

Thanks for the comment. I fear the phone is history.

View solution in original post


All Replies
softech
Mayor / Maire

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

you SIM should be good.. just wipe it dry..  then leave it for another hour and try.. should be no problem.  Did you try to put it on another phone?  If you have try, it is possible your phone internal still wet and hence not reading the SIM properly

 

 

For the phone, some people suggests after you try your very best to dry it.. leave it in bag of rice for a week and then try.. I never try this.. but some people said the rice would capture the moisture... but usually people needs to do this before try powering up.  Since you already tried to power it up.. not sure if it still work

 

 

bolddoodieS9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

Thank you. I appreciate your reply, but I've already done those things and they did not solve the problem. Looks like cell phone repair or new cell phone is in my future.

popping
Oracle

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

@bolddoodieS9 

 

Water/liquid will short any electronics with power connected.  It may be already damaged  when your phone was in the washing machine.  If it survives after in the washing machine for 30 minutes, residue lift over after liquid was evaporated may cause problem.

 

What did you used to clean the circuit board?

The cheapest way to remove the residue is submerge the circuit board in 99% rubbing alcohol and clean the board with a new tooth brush.   Dry it completely by leaving it on top of a heat vent for a few day.

 

Costco sells 3 bottles of 99% rubbing alcohol for around $10.

 

Depending on the phone, you can buy a replacement LCD screen with the digitizer mounted.  It is hard to remove the old digitizer and apply a new digitizer.

 

There is no guarantee you can get it working again.  If it is an older phone, it may be time to look got a new phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

I managed to destroy two Plantronics Voyager 3200's in two washing loads by forgetting them in my jeans pocket! The second of course was a replacement for the first one I ruined.  After the second, I decided to go in a different direction and switched to neckband buds, which ended up being better in pretty much every way.  But I digress.  I can see forgetting something tiny like true wireless buds or your car key (yes washed one of those too, an integrated unit with the door locks, trunk pop, and emergency alarm built in--and it survived just fine somehow)... but how do you miss your phone when loading the washer?  They usually have some bulk and heft.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
softech
Mayor / Maire

Re: Wet phone (real wet)


@srlawren wrote:

 but how do you miss your phone when loading the washer?  They usually have some bulk and heft.


I am going to invent a new washer with a build-in electronic detector.  It will cut the power .. and most importantly the water, off if it detects anything suspicious.

 

 (no offense.. just a joke 🙂  ) 

popping
Oracle

Re: Wet phone (real wet)


@softech wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

 but how do you miss your phone when loading the washer?  They usually have some bulk and heft.


I am going to invent a new washer with a build-in electronic detector.  It will cut the power .. and most importantly the water, off if it detects anything suspicious.

 

 (no offense.. just a joke 🙂  ) 


Pretty simple.  Install a short range blue tooth receiver inside the washing machine.

popping
Oracle

Re: Wet phone (real wet)


@popping wrote:

@bolddoodieS9 

 

Water/liquid will short any electronics with power connected.  It may be already damaged  when your phone was in the washing machine.  If it survives after in the washing machine for 30 minutes, residue lift over after liquid was evaporated may cause problem.

 

What did you used to clean the circuit board?

The cheapest way to remove the residue is submerge the circuit board in 99% rubbing alcohol and clean the board with a new tooth brush.   Dry it completely by leaving it on top of a heat vent for a few day.

 

Costco sells 3 bottles of 99% rubbing alcohol for around $10.

 

Depending on the phone, you can buy a replacement LCD screen with the digitizer mounted.  It is hard to remove the old digitizer and apply a new digitizer.

 

There is no guarantee you can get it working again.  If it is an older phone, it may be time to look got a new phone.


@bolddoodieS9 

 

Since something is showing on the display, the power supply voltage rails circuit may be working fine.  The CPU must be working.  Otherwise, you will not see anything.  

 

The circuit which read the SIM card may be damaged.   Insert any old SIM card to determine whether it detects a working SIM card.

 

Replace the LCD display with digitizer may work.  But if the circuit reading digitizer output circuit is damaged, replacing the digitizer will not fix your mouse input issue.

 

When my clients bring in a liquid damaged Roomba, Neato or Roborock, if I cannot fix it within 1 hour, I always tell my client to change the motherboard instead of paying me hourly rate to fix the motherboard.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Wet phone (real wet)


@softech wrote:

 

For the phone, some people suggests after you try your very best to dry it.. leave it in bag of rice for a week and then try.. I never try this.. but some people said the rice would capture the moisture... but usually people needs to do this before try powering up.  Since you already tried to power it up.. not sure if it still work


We did that with my wife's phone(although IIRC, it was left in the rice overnight), after I'd accidentally left it sitting on the car trunk lid overnight, and it rained. It's been working fine since then, but then the amount of water getting inside the phone from rain(if any) would DEFINITELY be different than actually going through a washer.

 

Supposedly, the go-to suggestion, at least if you don't want to take the phone apart, is putting the phone in a bag of desiccant pouches(you know, those little packets labeled "DO NOT EAT", that come in electronics packaging), which is apparently similar, or maybe better 🤔, than using rice.

bolddoodieS9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Wet phone (real wet)

Thank you. The suggestion is much appreciated. I will try it all.

Need Help? Let's chat.