cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather Station, not a phone or device

leuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey folks, I am trying to use a publicmobile SIM card in a weather station, so that it texts me the weather data - is this a posible device option? Not your typical phone. And only uses text messaging to send and recieve the weather data. 

18 REPLIES 18

@totalUser wrote:

@leuk 

You will need wcdma 850 and 1900, from the list you dug out it doesn't look like there is any compatibility with telus/bell

Sorry:(

Try rogers/chatr, but that would be only temporary solution as they are recarpeting in the near future

The specs did list WCDMA 800MHz. That's not the more common way of expressing it compared to saying 850MHz, but some people consider saying either 800 or 850MHz to be the same thing. The giveway that it would work was how the specs said that it would work on AT&T's "800"/850MHz HSPA network.

I do see that the OP did end up reporting that the device did work.

leuk

PublicMobile SIM works great - weather station sending texts. Thanks to all!

@leuk You are welcome. Glad that we could help you. 

@leuk wrote:

Ha, great option. I will give PublicMobile a shot then.Telus has a text only plan but hey, why not upload the data for fun. Love that you read the manual. Thanks for helping figure this out. 

leuk

Ha, great option. I will give PublicMobile a shot then.Telus has a text only plan but hey, why not upload the data for fun. Love that you read the manual. Thanks for helping figure this out. 

leuk

Well since I only really need SMS I might just pick up another Telus SIM since I know it works in my remote locale, even though I have the PubMobile one sitting right here. BUT super impressed with this community. Thanks for the suggestions and intelligent responses. Much appreciated to talk to folks who know so much and are willing to help. 

@leuk wrote:

Yes, just tried it. Telus SIM works great. Thanks for the suggestion to try that. It comes up with the weather station indicating a 3G connection with the Telus SIM.  

@leuk  If it works with Telus then it will work with PM. The $15 plan is ideal since it includes unlimited texts. If you enable AutoPay you get 250MB. According to the manual you can also have it upload data to a server via data. If you set it to send updates every 10 minutes it uses 100MB of data per 30 days.

leuk

Yes, just tried it. Telus SIM works great. Thanks for the suggestion to try that. It comes up with the weather station indicating a 3G connection with the Telus SIM.  

@leuk 

You will need wcdma 850 and 1900, from the list you dug out it doesn't look like there is any compatibility with telus/bell

Sorry:(

Try rogers/chatr, but that would be only temporary solution as they are recarpeting in the near future

@leuk have you tried your Telus SIM?

@leuk  Public Mobile uses the Telus network so if it works with Telus it will work with PM.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leuk 

PM may not work with your weather station because PM does not support GSM(2G) frequencies.  The weather station does not the 3G frequencies used by PM.

But if you have a friend with PM, you can borrow your weather station with your Telus SIM card.  If Telus SIM does not work, no need to consider Bell network.  Your option is to use Chatr on Rogers network.  But Rogers will be stop supporting 2G network after 31 Dec 2020.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/rogers-extends-availability-of-gsm-gprs-network-to-december-2020/

With this in mind, it is better to look for another weather station.  Sorry for the bad news.

leuk

Supported frequencies of the weather station are GSM900& GSM1800&GSM850& GSM1900& WCDMA2100& WCDMA900& WCDMA800 (US carriers T-Moblie, At&T, Speedtalk Mobile) but I'm in Canada. It says 3G SIM card must be used. 

I'm planning on a remote install. The are has good mobile reception (I'm on Telus for regular mobile data, Rogers works out there too but they were not hugely helpful on allowing me to put their SIMs into a weather station). The nearest town is Ucluelet BC.

@leuk wrote:

Hi, thanks for the response. The info is limited. It is an Ecowitt model WH6006 weather station. All it says is that the SIM card must support 3G and mobile data. Seems as simple as entering the APN, APN user and APM password. Which I am sure I can find, if the device will support a PM SIM card. Further digging states that supported frequencies are GSM900& GSM1800&GSM850& GSM1900& WCDMA2100& WCDMA900& WCDMA800 (US carriers T-Moblie, At&T, Speedtalk Mobile) but I'm in Canada. I can't find which frequecies PublicMobile supports. Thanks again. 

@leuk Yes, it will work.

leuk

Hi, thanks for the response. The info is limited. It is an Ecowitt model WH6006 weather station. All it says is that the SIM card must support 3G and mobile data. Seems as simple as entering the APN, APN user and APM password. Which I am sure I can find, if the device will support a PM SIM card. Further digging states that supported frequencies are GSM900& GSM1800&GSM850& GSM1900& WCDMA2100& WCDMA900& WCDMA800 (US carriers T-Moblie, At&T, Speedtalk Mobile) but I'm in Canada. I can't find which frequecies PublicMobile supports. Thanks again. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @leuk 

Can you check the device specs to see which frequencies are supported. Then if you could let the community know where it woud be located. Apparently sms will work on both 3g and lte. It really depends on the closest tower. Network has different towers around the country so if the device didn't have all the frequencies it can work great inn one area and have no signal in another, or or in some areas it would have great signal only outside.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@leuk Don't know but for sure the device must support all, or some, of PM's frequencies. There do not seem to be any specific frequencies, but for sure 3G will send SMS.

Network Frequencies at PM

• 4G LTE/LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; 2100 MHz downlink with 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

• HSPA (3G): 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@leuk wrote:

Hey folks, I am trying to use a publicmobile SIM card in a weather station, so that it texts me the weather data - is this a posible device option? Not your typical phone. And only uses text messaging to send and recieve the weather data. 

@leuk  would it be possible to post the specs on the weather station. If it uses 2G then no if it uses 3G and supports bands B2 and B5 it will work.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@leuk @Based on what I have seen here, I dont think pm sims work in well in those devices.@will13am ?

@leuk wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.