cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna buy a new phone

SandraTuga
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

public mobile have any phones for sale??? If yes where can I buy a new phone??

11 REPLIES 11

@SandraTuga  

As per @computergeek541 suggestion I am very happy with my recent purchase of the moto g7+ for U$119 ($180 cdn all in). Their customer service is excellent. Also costco had  the moto g fast for $149 and the moto g power for $239. Both London drugs and Best buy are offering the telus prepaid moto e for $119. Edit: Dec 26th to Jan 1st at LD the chatr prepaid moto E $99.99.

https://www.costco.ca/moto-g-fast-unlocked-smartphone%2C-pearl-white.product.100672915.html

https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g-power-unlocked-smartphone.product.100673567.html

https://bestbuyca.o93x.net/c/341376/644465/10221?u=https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/telus-motoro...

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I never buy from USA when:

Import fees are included

When a courier is used. 

I do buy from USA when:

The carrier is USPS (all the better if registered too)

Reason:

“If” Canada customs does process a fee it will likely be $5 fee and GST. 

Also note:

A number of American companies don’t know the difference between UPS and USPS 

For importing something such as cell phone, the retailer submitting the Canadian sales taxes for you means that there really should mean almost no difference in price compared to buying from Canada. When the store submits this ahead of time for you, the associated fees are out of the shipping company's (or clearance broker's) hands. If we're talking about B&H, the fees that they're charging are minimal, and you're probably losing more through currency exchange (but that's going to your bank). 

I will say that paying sales tax ahead of time is usually preferable than having the package shipped from the U.S. from a  non-USPS  carrier and not paying ahead of time. 

As for wanting USPS to be used for your package, there technically is not supposed to be any savings compared to if the taxes are paid ahead of time, at least not tax-wise (notwistanding brokerage and handling fees). Let's not true to get into the custom's decleration game, but I will say that if CBSA forgets to assess your package correctly even when it's declared properly, the shipper/exporter and receiver/important then haven't done anything wrong.

@mitchnet12 wrote:

I purchased my S20 (SM-G981U) factory unlocked from B&H Photo a few months ago. I have purchased a number of items from them in the past. What's especially nice is that they handle the import fees for you with free shipping through UPS. I have requested a price adjustment up to 30 days after the purchase in the past, which they honoured, except for adjusting the taxes. They also indicate the phone network compatability in Canada. You will want to look for the Teuls network (which Public Mobile is operated on).

I have also seen Staples with some appealing sale prices at the moment, especially Samsung phones.

It is worth noting that there can be differences for phone specs between Canadian, US, and international phone models, particularly the processor. That was the case with my S20. GSM Arena should have secifications for most phones. For instance, I had an A8 (2018) European model, which was the same hardware with 64GB of storage instead of 32GB, at a lower price than the Canadian model.

There are likely many suppliers out there but be sure that they are reputable, selling new phones, with a warranty and return policy.

I never buy from USA when:

Import fees are included

When a courier is used. 

I do buy from USA when:

The carrier is USPS (all the better if registered too)

Reason:

“If” Canada customs does process a fee it will likely be $5 fee and GST. 

Also note:

A number of American companies don’t know the difference between UPS and USPS 

@will13am wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

Hello @SandraTuga ,

Start shopping around, boxing weeks sales are being promoted in some places, and more probably still to come.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection/unlocked-phones-on-sale/245148?icmp=wi_category_wireless_box...

I am going to go against the grain here and say that Bestbuy is not a good place to shop.  Bestbuy does not sell phones themselves.  They are authorized retailers for the various carrier brands.  To get a phone means to get a contract.  The marketplace sellers are way overpriced and have questionable reputation.  +1 for B&H.  

When it comes to Public Mobile's CPO devices, B&H's recent $300 USD price for the LG G8x ThinQ shows that Public Mobile can do much better on pricing for used phones (Public is selling a used LG G7 One for $500 CAD).  I do say that B&H is still offering the Moto G7 Plus at $120 USD.

@esjliv wrote:

Hello @SandraTuga ,

Start shopping around, boxing weeks sales are being promoted in some places, and more probably still to come.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection/unlocked-phones-on-sale/245148?icmp=wi_category_wireless_box...

I am going to go against the grain here and say that Bestbuy is not a good place to shop.  Bestbuy does not sell phones themselves.  They are authorized retailers for the various carrier brands.  To get a phone means to get a contract.  The marketplace sellers are way overpriced and have questionable reputation.  +1 for B&H.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @SandraTuga ,

@SandraTuga 

The community can help narrow down your choice and offer some honest opinions on different retailers and phones to help you make a decision on your next phone.

1. Do you prefer iPhone or Android? 
  2. Whats your budget?
  3. Single or dual sim? 
  4. Do you have a must have? Good camera ? Gamer? NFC?

Decide what is most important to you and  we can offer some advice......I have bought brand new from amazon.ca and most recently from BH the moto G7+ for U$ 119/$180 cdn all in.

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I purchased my S20 (SM-G981U) factory unlocked from B&H Photo a few months ago. I have purchased a number of items from them in the past. What's especially nice is that they handle the import fees for you with free shipping through UPS. I have requested a price adjustment up to 30 days after the purchase in the past, which they honoured, except for adjusting the taxes. They also indicate the phone network compatability in Canada. You will want to look for the Teuls network (which Public Mobile is operated on).

I have also seen Staples with some appealing sale prices at the moment, especially Samsung phones.

It is worth noting that there can be differences for phone specs between Canadian, US, and international phone models, particularly the processor. That was the case with my S20. GSM Arena should have secifications for most phones. For instance, I had an A8 (2018) European model, which was the same hardware with 64GB of storage instead of 32GB, at a lower price than the Canadian model.

There are likely many suppliers out there but be sure that they are reputable, selling new phones, with a warranty and return policy.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@SandraTuga Comparison shop because the preowned phones sold by Public aren't at good prices. Sometimes, you you can a new phone and newer model for less at other retailers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

They only have certified pre-owned phone.

If those are not the phone you want, you might want to buy if via private sell and BYOD here 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SandraTuga wrote:

public mobile have any phones for sale??? If yes where can I buy a new phone??

Up top, right of the big logo, hover over Shop and find Phones. Not new though.

Need Help? Let's chat.