cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail doesn't engage when people call

gsauve
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had two people tell me they weren't able to leave messages because it just keeps ringing. I tried fixing the issue, but I can't seem to figure out how. Everything seems to be in order. How do I resolve this issue? Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

@gsauveGood to hear you got it sorted out.

If you sign up with a free service such as YouMail, you can get visual voicemail function again, either with their app, or in my case no app but just emails. It works by setting the three conditional call forward settings to one of their Canadian deposit numbers. Works pretty slick for me and a few others here.

gsauve

The issue has been resolved. I don't know what fixed it as I tried so many different things, but all seems to be in working order. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Try logging in to Self Serve and suspend your account using the "Lost/Stolen phone" option, wait a few minutes and then undo the suspension. Restart your phone and call your number from another line to see if you reach voicemail.

You can also try to turn on Extended Absence Greeting, record a test message then call your number to see if you get this test message. Turn off extended absence Greeting and try calling voicemail again.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gsauve   honestly no.  I think there must be a messed up setting.

I would try the two links I provided again.  in setting I would confirm that you have the correct voicemail number.  and correct conditional forwarding numbers.  

also go a google search, that is how I found the links i provided earlier.

gsauve

@mimmo I asked someone to call me and let it ring. It rang for a while then stopped and a missed call notification appeared. A few more seconds later it started ringing again. I answered, thinking my friend was calling to let me know if it worked, but for him, it just kept ringing and ringing. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gsauve wrote:

@mimmo As long as I get a notification whenever I have a voicemail, I don't need visual voicemail. Regarding my call forwarding numbers, they're all set to my voicemail number, but the "always forward" option is off. Should I turn it on?

No.

Call your number from another phone or a voip app. Let it ring. See if it gets to voicemail. Leave a voicemail if it does. See if a notification appears.

gsauve

@mimmo As long as I get a notification whenever I have a voicemail, I don't need visual voicemail. Regarding my call forwarding numbers, they're all set to my voicemail number, but the "always forward" option is off. Should I turn it on?

mimmo

@gsauve what are your conditional forwarding numbers set to?

Yes I get a notification in my bar saying I have voicemail then dial in.

If you want visual voicemail there is a workaround by forwarding your calls to a service like fongo and using them for voicemail. I have not done it so don't know the steps 

@gsauve sorry, PM doesn't support visual voicemail. 

gsauve

@Anonymous @mimmo I deactivated the visual voicemail, but now the "voicemail" tab is gone. Does that mean the only way I can access my voicemail is to call it? Also, will I be notified when a new voicemail is left? Thanks.

mimmo

Anonymous
Not applicable
@gsauve wrote:

@gblackma I tried a few of the things suggested. I used ##004# to erase call forwarding and *#61# (The following message appeared: Call forwarding Voice: +********** after 25 seconds). I wasn't able to do what you suggested because the visual voicemail won't work on my phone for some reason (I tried activating it many times and it always fails). Is there a way I can do what you suggested without it? Thanks.

Visual voicemail isn't offered here. Turn it off. Do calls drop to voicemail though?

gsauve

@gblackma I tried a few of the things suggested. I used ##004# to erase call forwarding and *#61# (The following message appeared: Call forwarding Voice: +14385804001 after 25 seconds). I wasn't able to do what you suggested because the visual voicemail won't work on my phone for some reason (I tried activating it many times and it always fails). Is there a way I can do what you suggested without it? Thanks.

@gsauve sorry , could you please check to see what your voicemail number is . PMs number usually ends in 4001, 2 , 3 use @Nezgar 's list of numbers to get a new one local to you. 

Change voicemail options
  1. Touch 

> 

> Settings(If you don't see 

, swipe down on the screen.)
  2. Touch Voicemail.
  3. For dual SIM, touch the SIM for the account to change.
  4. Touch Advanced Settings.
  5. Change any of the options:
  • To change voicemail service from your provider to another voicemail service or app, touch Service.
  • To change the number dialed to access voicemail, touch Setup.

gsauve

@gblackma Yes, I set up my voicemail when I first activated my phone. It's a Motorola Moto G7.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@gsauve Call your own number with your phone. What happens?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@gsauve First thing, dial ##004# on your phone to reset all of your conditional forwards back to your voicmail. Then, dialing one of these should reveal what that number is:

*#61#

*#62#

*#67#

Even better try those before dialing ##004# and note the response to confirm that they were changed/different.

As @gblackma mentioned, here is my updated list of local voicemail access numbers:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

@gsauve , @Nezgar has an updated local voicemail list it.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@gsauve there is a help section on the pm website for voice mail or you can check with simon by clicking the question mark in the corner to see if there is a solution. I would aeaech voicemail settings and go from there. You could also call your voice mail and make sure to set it up or check the settings from your phone.

Have agreat day. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@gsauve  Check your dialer app settings and make sure it's forwarding you the correct PM VM number 580-4001.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@gsauve did you set up your voicemail?  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-voicemail

If you did, what's the make and model of your phone?  Thanks.  Welcome to the community.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.