cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice mail left but phone did not ring

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A few times I have received a voice mail, however my phone does not ring and it does not show up on the recent calls list.  Has this happened to anyone else ?

The few times it has done this it is a 604 number and is spam.  I'm just wondering how this happens.

19 REPLIES 19

@Dolphin1 wrote:

I do have a spam filter for a few numbers - how do I see if this is one of the numbers listed ?

@kselmak 

@kselmak wrote:

Do you have spam filter?

I honestly don't know as I believe it's device dependent.

I think if you are online your app may be checking against some list.

Nexus used to turn screen red when spam call was coming in, it would warn me that it may be spam. It was very very accurate. I didn't have filter on, so the calls were coming through.

Dolphin1

This seems to be what is happening ... thank you as I didn't know this would occur when I blocked a number - mystery solved ... lol

@Nezgar 

@Nezgar wrote:

Ah yes. if you have a spam filter app like @kselmak mentioned, or have blocked certain numbers, all it does is decline the calls, which still end up going to your voicemail due to that conditional forward. You can reprogram the "declined" condiditional call forward so they don't get forwarded to voicemail, but unanswered calls, and unavailable/out of the service area continue to go to voicemail.

See this previous post of mine about how to stop declined calls from going to voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

@Dolphin1 wrote:

@computergeek541    It could possibly be in my blocked list - how can I see this if the number is not registering when it comes in ?  I know I blocked a few spam calls in the past.

This can vary depending on the software that your phone is using and how the number was blocked in the first place, but on my phone, the blocked list is shown when I open up the settings menu within my default phone dialer.

Dolphin1

I do have a spam filter for a few numbers - how do I see if this is one of the numbers listed ?

@kselmak 

@kselmak wrote:

Do you have spam filter?

Dolphin1

That's interesting - I didn't know about this.

@Nezgar 

@Nezgar wrote:

Just so you are aware - anyone can dial any one of the Voicemail access numbers available accross canada, enter your phone number, and leave you a message without ringing your phone. It's possible the spammer is using this method...

Spammers are apparently using this technique to great effect in the US.

Here is a list I recently refreshed:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

Dolphin1

@computergeek541    It could possibly be in my blocked list - how can I see this if the number is not registering when it comes in ?  I know I blocked a few spam calls in the past.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dolphin1 wrote:

A few times I have received a voice mail, however my phone does not ring and it does not show up on the recent calls list.  Has this happened to anyone else ?

The few times it has done this it is a 604 number and is spam.  I'm just wondering how this happens.

Possibilities (some stated already):

- no signal when person called

- phone in airplane mode or turned off 

-temproary netowrk issue

-phone number could in your blocked caller list

-phone may be running anti-spam software that checks an internet database for information about known spam calling phone numbers and automatically rejected the call

Dolphin1

Not sure that is the case.  The first time it happened I was holding my phone when a call I was screening came through. I sent it to voice mail.  About 20 mins later I picked up the voice mail and it said I had 2 messages.  When I listened the one I screened was first and then the 604 number one ... hmm still not sure why this is happening.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Yes, I've had it happen several times, and I'm assuming it's due to the poor signal in our area.

Dolphin1

No I do not put it on DND at anytime incase an important call comes through.

@isaacms wrote:

Your phone might have been on do not disturb which will silence all notifications 

Dolphin1

No I do not put it on DND at anytime incase an important call comes through.

@gblackma wrote:

@Dolphin1 Did you have either dnd or aeroplane mode on at the time?

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Ah yes. if you have a spam filter app like @kselmak mentioned, or have blocked certain numbers, all it does is decline the calls, which still end up going to your voicemail due to that conditional forward. You can reprogram the "declined" condiditional call forward so they don't get forwarded to voicemail, but unanswered calls, and unavailable/out of the service area continue to go to voicemail.

See this previous post of mine about how to stop declined calls from going to voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Do you have spam filter?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Just so you are aware - anyone can dial any one of the Voicemail access numbers available accross canada, enter your phone number, and leave you a message without ringing your phone. It's possible the spammer is using this method...

Spammers are apparently using this technique to great effect in the US.

Here is a list I recently refreshed:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

@popping wrote:

@Dolphin1 

I had similar issue while I was using an old Android phone when it was in deep sleep.  When a call came in, it was not wake up fast enough to ring the bell.  I did a test.  I used my phone a bit so that it is fully in wake up mode.  I call from my landline and it rang as soon as I hear the ring tone on my landline phone.  After I got a new and better Android phone, this problem went away. 

This is my theory and do not have any tech know how to support my theory though.  YMMV.

@popping  Was that the HTC Panache? That was a piece of junk defective out-of-the-box device that should have been recalled. I would do as you said and the first call every day would be missed. The solution was simple enough to install an old non-broken modem file (also voided the warranty) but HTC never bothered to fix the issue.  This does bring up an interesting point about how a software problem could result in signal or missed called issues.

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Possibilities (some stated already):

- no signal when person called

- phone in airplane mode or turned off 

-temproary netowrk issue

-phone number could in your blocked caller list

-phone may be running anti-spam software that checks an internet database for information about known spam calling phone numbers and automatically rejected the call

@isaacms wrote:

Your phone might have been on do not disturb which will silence all notifications 

If this was the case, the call would have still been answerable and would have still been recorded in the call log.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dolphin1 

I had similar issue while I was using an old Android phone when it was in deep sleep.  When a call came in, it was not wake up fast enough to ring the bell.  I did a test.  I used my phone a bit so that it is fully in wake up mode.  I call from my landline and it rang as soon as I hear the ring tone on my landline phone.  After I got a new and better Android phone, this problem went away. 

This is my theory and do not have any tech know how to support my theory though.  YMMV.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Yes, I've had it happen several times, and I'm assuming it's due to the poor signal in our area.

isaacms
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 Did you have either dnd or aeroplane mode on at the time?

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.