cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon HTC One M8 Not a Verizon SIM error.

KennethRParker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Brought my phone from the US, the HTC One M8 is supposed to be compatible with Public Mobile, but when I insert the SIM card I get: "Non Verizon SIM" Verizon states this phone is not locked to their network.

7 REPLIES 7

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 really?  Yikes what a pain.  Verizon, ugh.  I wonder if there's a way to avoid that by setting the CSC or something?

Yup, the Verizon Moto E4 will provide a friendly reminder every time that you turn the phone if the sim card in it isn't a Verizon one.  This happens even after you unlock the phone.

In the case of the Verizon Moto E4, there was never a bootloader unlock available for it.  That means that you couldn't root, or even install any other software rom.

In the case of HTC, they've used something called an RUU file in the past. They were Windows executable files and you would connect your phone with a USB cable to flash the factory rom images.  In some cases, you could install another carrier's or even a factory sim unlocked rom, but you would first have to set one of the phone's settings to S-off so that you could install other carrier roms or even downgrade software versions.  I am uncertain if this is possible with the Verizon HTC One M8.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 really?  Yikes what a pain.  Verizon, ugh.  I wonder if there's a way to avoid that by setting the CSC or something?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

There have been some Verizon phones that will say this every time you turn on the phone with a non-Verizon sim card.  This not necessarily mean that the phone is locked to Verizon.  The Verizon Moto E4 is a perfect example of this and you can dismiss this message and then continue to use the phone. 

The wording for Verizon uses to tell you that the phone is locked after inserting a non-Verizon sim card is different than the normal "insert unlock NCK" or similar messages. I can't remember the exact on-screen wordiing.

KennethRParker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone, strange I called and talked to Verizon support and they said it definitely was not locked, but may have been covering their butts because the agreement for their bandwidth does not allow them to have locked phones. I'll try the unlock from ebay.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

M8 is pretty easy to unlock, takes less than a day from ebay.

meocon

@KennethRParker You can buy unlock code from ebay for very cheap just about $3.50. If you need a link send me a private message. Hope that help

LEGO

@KennethRParker Well, if it says "Non Verizon SIM", then it is locked. You may also try inserting SIM card from a different mobile provider and if you get the same result, then it is definitely locked. Sorry for the bad news! Woman Sad

Need Help? Let's chat.