cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a phone temporarily

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have an android and the battery really sucks.  Waiting for boxing day sales to get another but I have access to an iPhone 7 that I thought using temporarily (a week or two or three).

Is it as simply of inserting my son card in the iPhone (sum indicates it is currently with Bell).  How do I determine to see if it is unocked?

*update-just learned it is locked.

How do I delete this post?

5 REPLIES 5

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks all.

Thought it would be nice to delete to keep clutter to a minimum.

As for unlocking it, it's an old work phone no longer in service. Will be returning in a few months so thought I'd try using it. But can't unlock.

Thanks again.

@cynical_manatee wrote:

unlocking a phone will almost always cost money, just because that is how they can offer these phones as "0$ phones" because it locks you in to their service. There are third party hardware for unlocking phones that are "hard locked" but also costs money.

This is no longer the case.  Canadian carriers are not allowed to charge a fee to unlock a phone and they must do it upon request if the phone is locked. For that reason, they pretty much just don't lock them any more.

cynical_manatee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

unlocking a phone will almost always cost money, just because that is how they can offer these phones as "0$ phones" because it locks you in to their service. There are third party hardware for unlocking phones that are "hard locked" but also costs money.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@rossputin wrote:

Have an android and the battery really sucks.  Waiting for boxing day sales to get another but I have access to an iPhone 7 that I thought using temporarily (a week or two or three).

Is it as simply of inserting my son card in the iPhone (sum indicates it is currently with Bell).  How do I determine to see if it is unocked?

*update-just learned it is locked.

How do I delete this post?

You should be able to get the phone unlocked for free.  It is as simple to switch phones, just move the SIM card from phone to phone.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

You can't delete a post. You can edit it to asy something different. I believe one of the Oracles can delete the message, but it's really unnecessary, there are lots of questions that answered themselves all over the community. 

Are you able to unlock it? Just call the carrier and they'll do it for you for free. At that point, it can be used on any provider so it's not hurting the original owner.

Need Help? Let's chat.