cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a New Phone with an Active Account

Darren_M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to set up a New Phone on an Active Account- 
I choose Automatic Network in Setting but it says try again Later.

Sim Management is Turned on to TELUS and Shows Phone Number

All voice Call/Video Call/ Messaging is Greyed Out
Preferred Networks 
TELUS (3G) 

302880(3G)
Etc..etc...

3G Service
Network Mode 4G

2G/3G (auto)

3G only
4G (which is Selected)

I've Toggled with the these but to no Avail.
It is also Dual SIM and I've Tried the Other Slot

I've Seen another Post which someone suggests they top up their PM Account with $1

to perhaps "Refresh" - Which I haven't tried - Do you think it could be the Problem in this Senario?

The Phone is an Android V.8 -M20 which was bought from China
I'm pretty sure when I bought this phone last year the FREQ was Good for PM...

Query:
Should I have to go to my PM Account to Change or Re-Enter Information?

Thanks everyone.

14 REPLIES 14

@computergeek541 

Thx once again...I've learned a whole boatload today. It might even stick!

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Thx....the technical side of things don't stick to my brain as well as other non tech things. I can find the info I just cant always disseminate the particulars. 

So to be clear the OP can send and recieve calls and texts (SMS) but not data and (MMS)?

Pm uses 2 - 3G bands but there are more than 2 bands that can be used ie by other providers?

The only thing that Public Mobile customers must have LTE for is the emergency alert system. Everything else will work on the HSPA network, including calls, texts, and data (also MMS). 

There are 3 HSPA bands used in all of Canada. No carrier uses more than 2 of them.  Telus, Bell, and Rogers use HSPA on bands 2 and 5.   Freedom/Shaw and Videotron use HSPA on band 4 only.  Eastlink doesn't use HSPA at all. 

@computergeek541 

Thx....the technical side of things don't stick to my brain as well as other non tech things. I can find the info I just cant always disseminate the particulars. 

So to be clear the OP can send and recieve calls and texts (SMS) but not data and (MMS)?

Pm uses 2 - 3G bands but there are more than 2 bands that can be used ie by other providers?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@Darren_M : Can you post the full make/model/submodel of both phones.

@Darren_M I'm going to second this request.  For anyone to give you a reply with reasonable expectation of accuracy, we need this info.  

EDIT: I also notice your original post didn't list an auto mode that included both 3G and 4G and it looks like you may have it set to 4G only.  Could you try 3G only to see if that helps?  Public Mobile requires 3G (HSPA/UMTS/W-CDMA) to do any calling.  Texting and data can work either on 3G or on 4G LTE, so you should in theory have better luck forcing the phone to 3G only if there's no auto mode which includes both.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Darren_M 

As "Telus (3g)" is shiowing up in the network list, this phone is compatible.  As for LTE being mentioned, LTE compatibility is not required to use a device at Public Mobile.

As for going into your account, nothing needs to be done to inform Public Mobile of the device.change.

If you take your SIM card and place it in your previous device, is it still working?

@darlicious 

A phone can't have 2 of 3 3g bands as there are only 2 bands used for HSPA at Public Mobile (bands 2 and 5).  Any mention of any other HSPA band on the website that you're looking at is incorrect information.

M20 should have enough bands  to work.  I had another phone with the same bands and working ok in GTA area.. 

softech_0-1610640581514.png

@Darren_M 

gishan.net says the M20 is 50% compatible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darren_M : Can you post the full make/model/submodel of both phones.

@Darren_M 

That one is worse if its from india....

Other names:GT-S7530
Dimensions:121,6 x 64,1 x 10,5 mm
Weight:119 g
GSM frequencies:850/900/1800/1900
Standard UMTS:900/2100
Standard battery:Li-Ion 1500 mAh
Stand-by (max.):2G: 530 h 3G: 420 h
Talk time (max.):2G: 12,7 h 3G: 7,8 h
Internal memory:8 GB
RAM memory:384 MB
Memory cards:-
Operating system:MS Windows Phone 7.5 Tango
Processor:Qualcomm MSM7227A 1,00 GHz
Number of cores: 1
GPU:Adreno 200 enhanced

@Darren_M 

It will but not very well....great phone but that version isnt made for the north american market. Where's the other phone from?

Darren_M

I guess you are saying it does not work with PM?
(though it shows Telus Network)

I also have a Galaxy GT ..(7530)? - I'll see if I can find the SIM SLOT and try that one.... 

@Darren_M 

The M20 only has 2 out of 9 4G bandz and 2 out 3 3G bandz but theres conflicting info out there as evidenced below.

Edit: Heres what i could find on the chinese version:

• 4G LTE
    LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)
  • Speed
    HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat12 600/50 Mbps

Edit: Heres the APN settings and info on your phone:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-m20

Darren_M

The Phone is an M20 From China.. and I'm Pretty Sure When I Bought it was Good for those Frequencies

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

What is the brand of phone ?   Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands: 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

If your phone is compatible then you should be able to put in the sim over.

Need Help? Let's chat.