cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PM SIM to unlock ' old ' phone

Woomera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A friend has a new phone he wants to use on PM  , but also has the unlock code for his old phone ( which he wants to unlock and give to his son ).

Can I use the PM SIM to activate the unlock screen on the OLD phone , then insert into the new one and set it up on PM ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

@Woomera 

It doesn't matter if put sim in any phone before activation.

BTKF
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Correct. Swapping the PM sim to a second unlocked phone will not affect your sims functionality or your PM service. 

Woomera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thankyou , the old phone was with Bell. I understood that inserting the new SIM would bring up the unlock screen ( we have the code ). I wasn't sure if that would have any impact on then activating the card on the new phone purchased to use with Public. It would seems that it wouldn't ?

Thanks

@Daps wrote:

@Woomerasince your friend already has the unlock code, you should give it a try.

Put in the pm sim and turn on the phone. If the phone is locked, just enter the unlock code and it should work.

If the phone was sold thru koodo or telus, it may work with the pm sim card without even asking for an unlock code.

In addition, if the phone is already locked to Telus/Koodo and has a sim card slot, a Public Mobile sim card cannot be used to unlock it (although it wouldn't be necessary to use this phone at Public)

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Woomerasince your friend already has the unlock code, you should give it a try.

Put in the pm sim and turn on the phone. If the phone is locked, just enter the unlock code and it should work.

If the phone was sold thru koodo or telus, it may work with the pm sim card without even asking for an unlock code.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What carrier was the old phone locked with? You can just call the carrier and have them unlock it. However, to answer your question, yes, that should be fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.