cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb sim dongle

sonnykochhar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to find a way to create a hotspot using a usb sim dongle or a for use during a home Show event at the convention center which is trying to charge ridiculous rates for wifi so I want to use my data on public mobile to create a hotspot.

12 REPLIES 12

@sonnykochhar wrote:

I have a D-Link router whick has 3g 4g LTE and wan as well as wifi but needs the usb sim card stick which seems hard to find and don't know which one will work with public mobile

You need to make sure that the USB stick is compatible with the router.  You also need to make sure that the USB stick is compatible with Public Mobile.  You will want to look for one that has UMTS 850/1900MHz and at least Band 4 LTE.  The software will also need to allow you to adjust APN settings if necessary.

sonnykochhar

I have a D-Link router whick has 3g 4g LTE and wan as well as wifi but needs the usb sim card stick which seems hard to find and don't know which one will work with public mobile

sonnykochhar

Thanks I wanted a dedicated device for exactly the reason of not being able to walk away as well as when I'm not at the show.  I think we are going to just set up a dedicated phone to run as a hotspot at the booth cheaper then the $580 a day for internet access at the convention center.  CRAZY I KNOW

I would save the presentation files locally, phone, laptop, tablet, whatever. 

Neanderthals refuse to get embarassed by things like frustrating trivial network errors, slow WiFi, cantankerous Bluetooth, and broken internet. Cloud computing is all very nice stuff but clouds have a tendency to drift out of reach on windy presentation days. 

The OP will figure it out what is best for them. Most people have backup phones that can be used.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DL888 wrote:

May be easier if your phone has the capability to use the hotspot feature.

@DL888 easier and free.  That said, there are some potential drawbacks:

- Wifi hotspot on most phones burns through the battery pretty quickly (though if you're working a tradeshow you probably have access to AC power so maybe not an issue)

- If you've got equipment tethered to your phone hotspot you can't wander away very far with it without taking away access.  Say you're taking your lunch break while a colleague covers the booth but the food area is across the building or a few floors away--you either have to take away thier Internet, or leave the phone behind and eat without Candy Crush or YouTube like some kind of neanderthal!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

May be easier if your phone has the capability to use the hotspot feature.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sonnykochhar, if you are looking for a dedicated device, I guess you want something like this.  You could get the same outcome with any phone these days. 

https://www.amazon.ca/KuWFi-Unlocked-Wireless-American-Countries/dp/B07KCKT6MD/ref=pd_sbs_147_img_2/...

gewlph
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What is the make and model of your dongle? You should make sure its unlocked & you may need to input the APN settings to allow internet access

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@sonnykochhar wrote:

I am trying to find a way to create a hotspot using a usb sim dongle or a for use during a home Show event at the convention center which is trying to charge ridiculous rates for wifi so I want to use my data on public mobile to create a hotspot.

USB internet sticks don't have Wi-Fi and can't be used for hotspot. You would have to plug the usb stick into a router that allows it.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@sonnykochharMake sure the device you decide to get is unlocked so it will work with Public Mobile (not all do). Once you have activated a Public Mobile SIM card test the SIM card in another phone to make sure it worksl. Once it works, you will need the USB dongle's software to configure its APN.

Since you mentioned it is for a convention make sure it is a LTE model not just a 3G model.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sonnykochhar  Most devices have a built-in hotspot feature that you can use. Just turn it on within your device and check for the password and once it's enabled you should be able to connect your other devices via WiFI.

Need Help? Let's chat.