cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded phone not receiving texts or calls

Spicey777
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a iphone 7 and everything worked fine.  I upgraded to a iPhone XR and I can call and send texts, but I cannot receive phone calls (straight to vm), and none of my texts go through.

- I am paid up, checked service.

- I have restarted phone several times

- I have selected another network (Bell) then back to public

- I reset network settings

- I cleared cache

What am I doing wrong?  What else can I try?

8 REPLIES 8

if you are just upgrading phone and have been using the same phone number, then your Apple account should be the same..

@Spicey777 

@Spicey777 wrote:

Okay, I did take out the sim and reseated it after turning off phone.  Turned phone back on and same thing - not receiving calls or texts but can still call and send texts.

I put it back in the iPhone 7 and now it can't receive calls or texts.  New question - the Apple accounts on the two phones are different- should that matter?

The apple accounts in your two phones should be the same.  You actually might want to "logout" your apple id of your iPhone 7 or at least remove the PM phone number from the iPhone 7.  Make sure that your PM phone number is registered to your new iPhone XR.  

Spicey777

Okay, I did take out the sim and reseated it after turning off phone.  Turned phone back on and same thing - not receiving calls or texts but can still call and send texts.

I put it back in the iPhone 7 and now it can't receive calls or texts.  New question - the Apple accounts on the two phones are different- should that matter?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Spicey777 

Try reseat the SIM

1. power off,

2. take SIM out ,

3. wipe it clean,

4. put everything back and power up

It happened to me before, outgoing fine but not incoming calls.  I rebooted and didn't work until I reseat the SIM.

If still fail, try to put it back in your old phone and see..  If you don't have your old iPhone anymore, at least see if you can try on another temporary phone

Let us know if it works.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Spicey777 

Strange problem indeed... what if you swap it back the SIM card back into the iPhone 7?  I'm expecting everything will work okay again?  This would clear out any possibility of it being an "account" issue.

Spicey777

I did try disabling imessage and enabling sms.  Still nada.

Yes, I ported my number in from Virgin 1 month ago - and it was working fine on my iPhone 7.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Spicey777 wrote:

I had a iphone 7 and everything worked fine.  I upgraded to a iPhone XR and I can call and send texts, but I cannot receive phone calls (straight to vm), and none of my texts go through.

- I cleared cache

Hello @Spicey777 

Try these suggestions:

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

@Spicey777 wrote:

- I cleared cache

For the text messaging, I would try disabling iMesssage and enabling SMS if it isn't already.  As for incoming calls, did you recent join Public Mobile and ask for a phone number to be ported in?

Need Help? Let's chat.