cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Android 7.0 nougat if you own a nexus device

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey everybody I just updated my nexus 9 to the new version of Android nougat 7.0 

It's currently out for Nexus 6p 5x 6 and 9

Just head over here https://www.google.com/android/beta?u=0 enroll your device into the beta program and your phone will receive the update!

New features include split screen multitasking, improved battery life etc. Made my tablet like new again so much faster!

13 REPLIES 13

tomatosaucer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
In my opinion, and this is just what I like to do, it's best to do a factory reset BEFORE a major upgrade. Makes setting things up a pain, but I've always found it to be the safest and cleanest option.

I could be wrong though, but that's the process for flashing custom ROMs normally. Fac Reset or just totally cleaning slate, then flashing the ROM.

McLaren

After doing a major upgrade, i like to do a factory reset, it cleans up any left over files/cache etc, and overall makes everything snappier. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ckl this would be nice!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Another reason to update to Android 7, if you can, is that future updates won't cause your phone to go through the "optimizing app 1 of xxx" at startup. This process sometimes can take tens of minutes depending on how many apps you have and cause your phone to heat up significantly. Supposedly, this is done away with Android 7 and apps will also install faster.

srlawren

@s2scotty yeah I discovered the "N Preview" folder style in Nova Prime a few weeks ago and totally dig it!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey @Chaos_Scorpio,

I concur, NOVA launcher on Marshmallow 6 is pretty NOUGATY. Many long time android users say that access to NOVA launcher is the reason to run android in the first place. It takes some getting used to but it's worth the investment.  And, yes, you can always switch back to the stock launcher at any time.

Cheers,

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Google has dropped the full source into open repository; therefore, the custom developers have access. I too own a NEXUS 5 and NEXUS 7, neither are getting NOUGAT 7 from google.

Barring a hardware issue, I would bet that www.cyanogenmod.org will have a custom 7 ROM for these two NEXUS in pretty short order.

srlawren

You guys with Nexus 5's may have to go the custom ROM approach to get Nougat.

I've got a OnePlus 3, and based on how long they took to get Marshmallow upgrades out for the OnePlus 2 and OnePlus X, I could be waiting a while myself!

Rockdaddy22
Actually, a lot of times  will just withhold certain features from older devices. I'd rather have the choice to update or not, just my personal opinion. Usually android users are all about choice, but I guess sometimes Google knows best, I guess.

Chaos_Scorpio

its past their cycle. Usually andriod devices only get support for the next 2 years. Nexus got 3 years because no new phone the year after nexus 5. 

The phone is not strong enough to use most of the features ... unlike apple, it will let you run advance software on old devices that cannot handle it. Google knows this and disables it so you get the best software your device can handle. 

Rockdaddy22
Why wouldn't the nexus 5 get it?

Chaos_Scorpio

I'm in the same boat as you with the nexus 5 but if you look at the features, MOST of them can already be done using the Nova Launcher Prime; usually goes on sale for $1 ... BEST dollar ever spent!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Not for my Nexus 5 😞

Need Help? Let's chat.