cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable SMS: sending and receiving

v2k
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with public mobile for many years.  I have been using the same phone for the last year or so.  I have never had an issue with SMS in the past. 

In the last month or so, I've had major issues with unreliable SMS.  People will send me texts and I will receive nothing.  Or, I will send an SMS and then 6-8 hours later get a message on my phone: "Failed to send SMS.  Tap to resend".  It's gotten to the point where I just can't use SMS.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@v2k you might want to clear the app cache on your SMS app, and/or clear the system cache.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

v2k

Looks like this issue has come back again months later and on a different phone.  Still struggling with this.

My data has expired, perhaps that is the cause of this issue this time?  I can send SMS (or so it seems), but do not get any replies.

I rebooted yesteday and that seemed to fix it for a while, but it's back to not working again.

v2k

Thanks, will do.

- no to USA recently

- since renewal may be possible actually

- tried rebooting etc; didn't try switching phones.

- it's inconsistent, so even if it's working or not working, it's hard to tell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a win for @Jessica_T. Why do people post here and then disappear?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @v2k,

thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like we may have to reset your SMS service #, can you please send us a private message?

Regards,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@v2k Have you recently been to USA and purchased USA add-on by any chance? There is a bug with USA roaming add-ons that affects texting service when you return back to Canada. 

If not, try using another texting app and see if that works.  

fergiedroid

Things you can do to try and resolve this issue are:

• Make use your phones software is up to date.
• ensure you are sending texts to the correct 10 digit phone number.
• Make sure the message length is under 160 characters.
• Ensure the app you are using does not require data (For example iMessage or Facebook Messenger).
• Make sure to reboot you phone and test.
• Make sure your phone is not getting poor reception by checking the signal bars.
• Do the master reset as your last resort.
• If none of these work you may need to check another phone with your sim card or send the phone for repair.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I agree I also have been getting that message what;s up with that?

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@v2k wrote:

I've been with public mobile for many years.  I have been using the same phone for the last year or so.  I have never had an issue with SMS in the past. 

In the last month or so, I've had major issues with unreliable SMS.  People will send me texts and I will receive nothing.  Or, I will send an SMS and then 6-8 hours later get a message on my phone: "Failed to send SMS.  Tap to resend".  It's gotten to the point where I just can't use SMS.

@v2kWhen you say unreliable does you mean it sometimes works? Ty your sim in another phone, if it works on that phone try clearing your messenger app cache/data, after that try a factory reset. If it never works make sure your SMSC number is correct.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Was it after a renewal date? Did you change your plan? @v2k

Need Help? Let's chat.