cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone question

hasmith99
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used imei.info to check if my phone is unlocked, and there was nothing specifically saying it was unlocked, but at the carrier section it said it was "open". But when I try to apply for Public, my sim card number is invalid. So I guess it is locked? What does it mean if my carrier is "open" then?

From imei.info:carrier open.PNG

Would I now need to call my current carrier to get them to unlock it then?

12 REPLIES 12

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious Yeah Rogers gave me a hard time unlocking a old phone i had. They said i needed a active account and that they could not assist me because I am not a rogers customer. Total Bs. I had to argue for him to give me the unlock code.

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it's a locked issue yet. All these ideas but we still need more information. Please review the reply from geopublic.

@AnonymousTrue but if the phone is from 2016 its almost guaranteed to be locked and it's less hassle to get it unlocked before you port your number....even with the fact its required by the WCC some providers can be real jerks about it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's a locked issue yet. All these ideas but we still need more information. Please review the reply from geopublic.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try contacting Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hasmith99 

Is that a Public mobile sim you are trying to activate with?

From what you wrote, it sounds like you're using the sim from your current provider to activate with PM... apologies if this is not the case lol

@hasmith99 

Your phone is going to be locked. Call the provider you are with and ask for the unlocking code. If they ask why just tell them you have to leave the country on a personal matter and want to make sure your phone is unlocked in case you need a local sim. This will avoid the retention sales pitch.

@hasmith99 wrote:

Got it in 2016, but the sim card is newer

@hasmith99  If you are trying to activate your card and you are getting an invalid sim card error then:

1. The sim card you are trying to activate has already been activated in the past. Unfortunately that is not allowed and you will require a new PM sim card.
  2. During your first activation attempt you got an error and when you tried to activate again you received that error. If that's the case then you need to wait for about an hour between attempts so that the previous session lock gets clear by the PM activation system.

hasmith99

Got it in 2016, but the sim card is newer

@hasmith99 

When did you get your phone? If it's pre December 2017 then it's likely locked. Possibly up until mid 2018 your phone could be locked but after that time period your phone should be unlocked.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hasmith99 wrote:

I used imei.info to check if my phone is unlocked, and there was nothing specifically saying it was unlocked, but at the carrier section it said it was "open". But when I try to apply for Public, my sim card number is invalid. So I guess it is locked? What does it mean if my carrier is "open" then?

This sounds like when you are activating the SIM card you are getting this message, or when you insert the SIM into your phone?  If it is during activation please try your browser in private or incognito mode and try activate it again.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hasmith99

Galaxy S7. I get the message when I type in the SIM number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hasmith99 wrote:

As far as I know (which isn't very far) those sites are for looking for blacklisted status. Not unlocked. devicecheck.ca would be better for that too.

What make/model/submodel is your phone? At what point are you getting the invalid message?

Need Help? Let's chat.