cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a second-hand Telus/Koodo phone

brr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've read on this forum that PM will unlock your phone for $50, assuming your account is in good standing. But is that true for Telus/Koodo phones being used on PM?

Specifically, I'm thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone from Orchard that is locked to Telus, so I can sign up for PM. I'd also like to unlock the phone so I can use different SIMs on trips abroad. Will PM unlock it for me? I'm not the original owner, and I didn't buy the phone from PM directly, so I'm not sure if they would offer the unlocking service.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Two reputable unlocking services are located at www.cellunlocker.net and www.quickphoneunlock.com.

FYI.

aguyfromontario
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

all telus and koodo phones will work. however APN settings will need to be updated! search the forums for this information! if for any reason the device says unauth sim.. simply take it to a telus store.. or any mobile snap Tbooth etc..... and they can unlock it for you fairly inexpensivly there are also many online options available http://protechparts.ca/collections/factory-unlocks for instance!

lexcyn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There's a site I have always used and they are 100% professional and legitimate.

www.mobileincanada.com

They also have great instructions for how to unlock your phone.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Deleted by Martin.

brr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks @Luddite. I was reading that post before, and I guess my question is about this requirement: that the phone must "Be attached to your Public Mobile account (the phone IMEI is registered to your account)."

If I buy a second-hand iPhone locked to Telus, is the IMEI is still registered to the previous owner? Or is there some way to get it attached to my PM account?

I'm asking because the iPhones locked to Telus on Orchard tend to be cheaper than unlocked versions, often by more than $50. I'm wondering if PM can then unlock that iPhone (not interested in using a grey market service, have been burned before) so I can swap SIM cards when travelling internationally, or if I need to just pay more for the factory unlocked version.

@Jeremy_M Just a minor clarification, in that Orchard's offering suggests that not all their iPhones are at getorchard.com are unlocked, although their phones specifically for PM at https://publicmobile.getorchard.com/ are unlocked.

The other major advantage of their PM phones seems to be a new battery with every phone; not so with their iPhones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@brr wrote:

Specifically, I'm thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone from Orchard that is locked to Telus, so I can sign up for PM. I'd also like to unlock the phone so I can use different SIMs on trips abroad. Will PM unlock it for me? I'm not the original owner, and I didn't buy the phone from PM directly, so I'm not sure if they would offer the unlocking service.

Thanks!

@brr Just to clarify, Orchard is our trusted partner, you can visit there website by clicking here: https://publicmobile.getorchard.com/

All phones are unlocked and in really great shape! I've had the opportunity to hold one of their devices and it's like new.Smiley Happy

Exclusively for Public Mobile customers, Orchard offers a selection of Certified Factory Refreshed smartphones. Each phone has gone through a rigorous refurbishment process in a state-of-the-art facility, making their Factory Refreshed phones quite simply the highest tier of pre-owned device – literally as good as new!

All Factory Refreshed phones are shipped with a new battery, updated with the latest software, and the APN settings are set for use with Public Mobile. Getting set up is as easy as popping in the Public Mobile SIM card that’s included in the package.

For more info on Orchard click here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Introducing-Orchard-our-trusted-hardwar...

Cheers!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Two reputable unlocking services are located at www.cellunlocker.net and www.quickphoneunlock.com.

Cheers.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just be careful before selecting an online company for unlocking your phone, Many are great and efficient. But some are scam.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @brr,

You can get your iphone unlocked online at any of the unlock service websites for cheaper than $50. 

EDIT:  Thanks to @Luddite, I stand corrected.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

All phones that operate on Koodo or Telus will work with PM without unlocking them. PM will unlock your phone Unlocking Your Phone.

You also can try other services or just buy an unlocked iPhone from Orchard.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.