cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a locked to carrier phone

Bear2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have an old Samsung s7 that is locked to rogers. I called to unlock it but was unable to because I purchased it years ago off craiglist. Rogers told me I needed to know the email of the previous person to unlock it, which I clearly don't know.  Is there another way around this? I found a repair place but they want $150. Sucks that Rogers won't unlock when it's free to get the code. If able to unlock I want a 2nd account with PM

10 REPLIES 10

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Bear2 

Check out these articles from/re Rogers:

Device unlocking FAQs | Help & Support - Rogers

Rogers and Fido now requiring that only subscribers can unlock phones (mobilesyrup.com)

Filing a CCTS complaint against Rogers unlocking policy would result in a likely favorable outcome for anyone needed their device unlocked. Failing that, a lawsuit would also do the trick.

@Bear2 wrote:

@totalUser I contacted Samsung and they helped me. Thank you for the help. Was simple and saved me lots of money 

Hi @Bear2 always good to hear that a fellow customer's issue/problem is resolved.  Yay!

Have a wonderful day

RosieR

Bear2

@totalUser I contacted Samsung and they helped me. Thank you for the help. Was simple and saved me lots of money 

Bear2

@totalUser thanks I will try contacting them. Never thought of that. I have never had this issue before. Have to love companies like rogers that don't help. 

Bear2

@esjliv it was on craiglist years ago so no I do not have contact anymore. I will try calling rogers again to talk to someone else and will also try all the other suggestions 🙂

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Bear2 

Contact Samsung Canada through their chat, they are great they always give me the code.

I think there is the rule that person has to be with the carrier for at least 90 days before they can obtain the code for free or they have to pay they don't have to give it for free, but if the phone is older than a year Samsung doesn't make fuss about it. Rogers on the other hand will always try to squeeze the last drop off of you

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Bear2 eBay has sellers who have unlock codes. Cost is about $5 up to $20.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Bear2 wrote:

I have an old Samsung s7 that is locked to rogers. I called to unlock it but was unable to because I purchased it years ago off craiglist. Rogers told me I needed to know the email of the previous person to unlock it, which I clearly don't know.  Is there another way around this? I found a repair place but they want $150. Sucks that Rogers won't unlock when it's free to get the code. If able to unlock I want a 2nd account with PM

@Bear2 

If you bought your phone from a private seller, are you able to go back to them as ask that they unlock it for you?

Depending on the situation, carriers may not unlock a phone for free if the original owner cannot be contacted.

Try calling Rogers again, it may depend on the representative on the Rogers end you are dealing with. Hopefully, you get someone that can help.

Good luck!

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Rogers legally must unlock the phone. It's the law. You could file a CCTS complaint against them. Samsung can also help out in this case too I believe.

Need Help? Let's chat.