cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Iphone 8 plus - sim wont activate

eila
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a brand new unlocked Iphone 8 plus yesterday from the Apple store. 

When I inserted my new public mobile sim it says the sim card I currently have installed is not supported by the carrier server the phone is on. 

However, before this message happens, when Im settting up the phone it says public mobile and connects to the LTE network in the left-hand corner until it starts "activating".

I have updated my laptop, iTunes and iphone - restored and set it up twice with no luck here.

It says this is not a hardware issue in the message and that I have to contact Public Mobile.

When I take out the sim card and go to the carrier in settings - general - about - carrier - it says "public mobile".

I am so confused! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should I replace the sim again?

11 REPLIES 11

@CalgaryBen wrote:

What you're referring to is the AppleID activation, which can be done without the SIM card (i.e. what you would do to activate an iPod Touch, iPad, etc.).  Assuming there's a problem that's easier resolved by swapping the phone, it might not be a great idea to get the AppleID all set up and such at this point...?

The cellular activation can leverage WiFi if available (or cellular if no WiFi), but is the cellular/carrier activation portion, where the device requires the SIM card to be inserted so that it can check the MCC/MNC combination against Apple's registration servers (i.e. to determine whether it's carrier-locked).  In Canada, now, this should no longer be a "thing", but the check is still built into the iOS DNA.  I'm speculating that the IMEI might've mistakenly gotten added to a carrier (perhaps in the US) hence it acting like it's locked.  Only Apple can really diagnose/tell...

Yes, I was talking about the apple ID and I am not sure why you do not think it is a great idea to get it set up at this time. It can be swapped to another phone easily and the fewer things you are trying to do at any one time the easier it is to fix any issues that arise.

If swapping the phone they should reset to factory settings before returning it anyways, to make sure all personal information is wiped.

If the phone is locked to another carrier then this will be much easier determined if the phone is already setup and working properly for everything else. 

I recommended this if getting to an apple store to swap the phone was not going to be quick. I did not say this will fix it but if they have time and would like to try it there would be no harm.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@krazykiwi wrote:
activate the phone without the sim ( on wifi ) then insert the sim, just to take activating the phone out of the equation. But with that said you said the Sim works in another phone so this should work during activation.

What you're referring to is the AppleID activation, which can be done without the SIM card (i.e. what you would do to activate an iPod Touch, iPad, etc.).  Assuming there's a problem that's easier resolved by swapping the phone, it might not be a great idea to get the AppleID all set up and such at this point...?

The cellular activation can leverage WiFi if available (or cellular if no WiFi), but is the cellular/carrier activation portion, where the device requires the SIM card to be inserted so that it can check the MCC/MNC combination against Apple's registration servers (i.e. to determine whether it's carrier-locked).  In Canada, now, this should no longer be a "thing", but the check is still built into the iOS DNA.  I'm speculating that the IMEI might've mistakenly gotten added to a carrier (perhaps in the US) hence it acting like it's locked.  Only Apple can really diagnose/tell...

@srlawren wrote:

@eila definitely think @CalgaryBen has given you the best advice so far--it's time go go see the self-proclaimed geniuses at the Apple store and have them look into it.  

I agree, I have been using an unlocked Iphone for many years and recently with PM without issue.

The only thing I would add if you are not able to get to the Apple store easily is to activate the phone without the sim ( on wifi ) then insert the sim, just to take activating the phone out of the equation. But with that said you said the Sim works in another phone so this should work during activation.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@eila definitely think @CalgaryBen has given you the best advice so far--it's time go go see the self-proclaimed geniuses at the Apple store and have them look into it.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@eila, sorry to hear that you lost your iPhone 6, and to further that, your grief in activating your new iPhone 8!  The things you've tried and checked are on the right track.  Did you try inserting your friend's SIM card (or other SIM cards for that matter) in the iPhone 8, by any chance? If so, what carrier are your friends on, and what result did you see?

Seeing "Public Mobile" and signal bars, along with LTE in the upper left corner aren't entirely an indication that things are working, but seeing Public Mobile (presumably 35.0) in the Carrier profile is usually an indication that it's valid for the network corresponding to the inserted SIM.  Very strange that you'd see the "SIM Not Supported" message, which usually means the phone is locked to a different carrier.

Does the IMEI in Settings --> General --> About match the one lasered on the back of the phone as well as printed on the barcoded sticker on the box?  I know you said it's new and all, and everything should match, but just in case.

I'd really recommend taking this up with Apple, since it's not getting past Apple's activation servers here, despite them selling what should be an unlocked phone.  I'd be very curious to know what happens when you put in other SIM cards (if you have access to some) from other carriers...

Hope you find quick resolution!

Carld123

@eila

So it works with android....be sure to post your results when it's figured out....

eila

I went to this page on apple - https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201407

Followed all the steps a few times.

Also I checked the IMEI number with public mobile "check your phone" and it says it's unlocked and good to go.

@eila wrote:

I lost my Iphone 6 plus on the weekend - bought a new sim from London Drugs and then the new Iphone from the Apple Store.

I went to self-serve on my account and switched it so it's not a new activation, just a sim card switch.

I haven't used an iphone for 5 or 6 years so I really am not an expert on them.  Maybe @Luddite, and I am sure there are other well informed iPhone users on here that can offer some advice.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

eila

Also just to add - I'vee re-entered the sim card a few times in the "switch sim card" bar to make sure its gone through. The sim does work in my friends android phone.

eila

I lost my Iphone 6 plus on the weekend - bought a new sim from London Drugs and then the new Iphone from the Apple Store.

I went to self-serve on my account and switched it so it's not a new activation, just a sim card switch.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@eila wrote:

I bought a brand new unlocked Iphone 8 plus yesterday from the Apple store. 

When I inserted my new public mobile sim it says the sim card I currently have installed is not supported by the carrier server the phone is on. 

However, before this message happens, when Im settting up the phone it says public mobile and connects to the LTE network in the left-hand corner until it starts "activating".

I have updated my laptop, iTunes and iphone - restored and set it up twice with no luck here.

It says this is not a hardware issue in the message and that I have to contact Public Mobile.

When I take out the sim card and go to the carrier in settings - general - about - carrier - it says "public mobile".

I am so confused! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should I replace the sim again?

This last statement caught my attention.  So you purchased a new sim to replace an old one?  If this is the case how are you activating it, are you trying to go through the activation process when you first joined or are you just going to the change sim link where you would activate a new sim if it is a replacement.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.