cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Chinese Phones

dj_simms
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anybody have experience using unlocked Chinese branded phones like Xaiomi, or UMIDIGI as an example. These are cheap phones with high end flagship specs, and amazon reviews seem positive, but how are they with service etc on PM network?

Any experience is appreciated. Currently considering a Xiaomi MI 9 android phone to replace my Galaxy S6.

Regards.

10 REPLIES 10

ubershibs

@ChuckYeah wrote:

I have an UMIDIGI A5 Pro on the way, with a raving review from another long-serving community member. I believe he is looking into an F2 now. I expect that will be an even awesomer phone and also be completely compatible with PM.

The ~$150 price tag is more my speed!

@cbx4evr @dj_simms It comes with a case and a preapplied screen protector, but if you have any insight into the best case for a phone dropper, plz let me know.

My roommate uses an Umidigi (I believe an A5) with Public Mobile, and loves it. Got a great deal on Amazon. I'm thinking of making the switch from an Asus to the F2.

The only issue he has had was with getting any kind of support in English (from Umidigi, that is).

Kelvin87

Hi,

I'm using a Huawei Mate 20 from China and calling and texting with Public Mobile Service has been fine. Accessing data was not a problem for me either, simple plug and play!

In terms of other models if you are having trouble accessing data/internet you might need to adjust your APN settings
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

Wholecloud

I have the xiaomi mi max2 global version when I switched to PM. Although this model wasn't on the list of compatible phones indicated on the PM website at the time, it worked flawlessly. Cheers

dj_simms

I appreciate the info from experience. I could undoutably get away with the mid level CPU that UMIDIGI has at their price point. My Galaxy S6 still runs fine as a 4 year old phone but battery life is now becoming more and more of a problem.

Wireless charging intrigues me as this feature is honestly the only reason my S6 still functions. The charge port is a common failure in phones and has been an issue with mine for a couple years. Doesn't appear that any of the UMIDIGI phones offer wireless charging unfortuantly.

Regards.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Many Chinese phones work with Public Mobile because they are sold internationally. Sure buying Chinese phones gives you flagship specs for less. In my opinion, if you plan on doing anything secure like banking I would recommend something else. Also getting warranty on these phones may not be easy compared to regular phones.

On a side note, Amazon.ca stopped selling Xiaomi phones, not sure why.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dj_simms wrote:

Anybody have experience using unlocked Chinese branded phones like Xaiomi, or UMIDIGI as an example. These are cheap phones with high end flagship specs, and amazon reviews seem positive, but how are they with service etc on PM network?

Any experience is appreciated. Currently considering a Xiaomi MI 9 android phone to replace my Galaxy S6.

Regards.

Umidigi offers better band coverage by far. Great worlwide coverage. Take a look at the F2. Excellent battery performance and stock Android 10.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have used both brands, currently running a Umidigi A5 pro.  With all Chinese branded phones, make sure to get a model with band 4 LTE support.  

Tweetynumair

@dj_simms wrote:

Regards.

I'm currently on my second Xiaomi phone and both have worked well on PM's network.  You do have to make sure you're getting the Global version though.  It doesn't have all the freq bands that PM uses but I haven't had any issues with connectivity.  I live in Southern Ontario.  

I have an UMIDIGI A5 Pro on the way, with a raving review from another long-serving community member. I believe he is looking into an F2 now. I expect that will be an even awesomer phone and also be completely compatible with PM.

The ~$150 price tag is more my speed!

@cbx4evr @dj_simms It comes with a case and a preapplied screen protector, but if you have any insight into the best case for a phone dropper, plz let me know.

cbx4evr

Considering similar myself. I would expect that the service would be similar to other phones. My concern is being able to use it with any Canadian service. Some reviews I've read for so called "International" phones didn't allow the phone to be used in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.