cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unlocked Cellphones.

Maybe one of the more experienced users can answer this question.

 

Why do some unlocked cellphones work on the Public Mobile system and others don't.

 

I always thought that if an unlocked phone worked on one provider it would work on all but my phone won't work on Public Mobile which is Telus, but does work on Roger's?


Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.

@Scribe_05

The Cubot doesn't have band 2and 5 from their website:

 

BTW Rogers are phasing out their 2G network at the end of the 2020.. so the phones that rely on 2G will no longer work then. https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/2G

 

 

4G FDD-LTE:
Band:1 / 3 / 7 / 8 / 20
3G WCDMA:
900 MHz / 2100 MHz
2G GSM:
850 MHz / 900 MHz / 1800 MHz / 1900 MHz

View solution in original post


All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.


@Scribe_05 wrote:

Maybe one of the more experienced users can answer this question.

 

Why do some unlocked cellphones work on the Public Mobile system and others don't.

 

I always thought that if an unlocked phone worked on one provider it would work on all but my phone won't work on Public Mobile which is Telus, but does work on Roger's?


These 2 companies use different frequencies.

However any unlocked phone sold in Canada recently should work on both carriers.

 

There are various sites to check phone compatibility.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

https://willmyphonework.net/

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.

1. They may not have the frequencies required for Telus network. 2g only phones will not work for sure

2. They may have lock to previous provider, though unlocked some actually can lock themselves or be locked. By law companies have right to lock it up to 90 days (and still call it unlocked), after that they are obliged to provide the user with the code free of charge. This is the most frequent reason for puk code i saw here in the community when I was reading past posts and every time the op had 'unlocked' phone

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.


@Scribe_05 wrote:

Maybe one of the more experienced users can answer this question.

 

Why do some unlocked cellphones work on the Public Mobile system and others don't.

 

I always thought that if an unlocked phone worked on one provider it would work on all but my phone won't work on Public Mobile which is Telus, but does work on Roger's?


Coming from Rogers you should check your phone compatibility first, you can try here:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

 

Edit: I see @LovesToPM has included the link.  Sorry didn't see that earlierSmiley Happy

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.


@Scribe_05 wrote:

Maybe one of the more experienced users can answer this question.

 

Why do some unlocked cellphones work on the Public Mobile system and others don't.

 

I always thought that if an unlocked phone worked on one provider it would work on all but my phone won't work on Public Mobile which is Telus, but does work on Roger's?


If the phone is locked to a previous network, just call them and ask for a free unlock code. They should be able to provide that.

 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.

What phone do you have?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.

Rogers uses different frequencies.

•2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
•3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
•4G Network LTE 1700 / 2100 / 2600

 

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

  • 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

 

PM uses the same cell towers as Bell and Telus.

Highlighted

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.


@Triguy wrote:

Rogers uses different frequencies.

•2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
•3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
•4G Network LTE 1700 / 2100 / 2600

 

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

  • 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

 

PM uses the same cell towers as Bell and Telus.


Rogers does not use anything that  is commonly called 900 or 1800MHz for 2g, nor do they use anything usually referred to as 2100MHz for 3g.

Highlighted

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.


@LovesToPM wrote:


These 2 companies use different frequencies.

However any unlocked phone sold in Canada recently should work on both carriers.

The 3g frequencies that are required for phone call usage at Public Mobile is very close to the frequency range of Rogers.  Any Rogers 3g-compatible phone will work at Public Mobile if it is unlocked. It's not so much about difference in frequencies, but more about the network technology types. Phones that are compable with the Rogers 2g network are not necessarily compatible with the Public Mobile UMTS-type network.

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Unlocked Cellphones.