cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock phone

Charity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good morning 

I just returned to Canada after 9 yrs in South America. I have an iphone my sister gave me to use. I am having trouble unlocking it so i can use the public mobile sim card..... any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

@JackQuint wrote:

Not "should", they are legally obligated to unless the phone is blacklisted. It's a quick phone call to the carrier and all should be fine.

Try telling that to Bell if you aren't a customer.  Sone carriers will tend to be more helpful if you are an existing customer.  Some carriers also make it much easier for existing clients (Freedom Mobile comes to mind) to unlock devices by providing unlock codes in the self-serve accounts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JackQuint wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@Charity, you should get your sister to contact her cell provider (ie the provider she got her phone from). As long as she is current with her account, they should unlock the phone. It is usually very quick.

Not "should", they are legally obligated to unless the phone is blacklisted. It's a quick phone call to the carrier and all should be fine.

I think the legal part is only if it's a phone marketed and sold in Canada by a Canadian provider.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GinYVR wrote:

@Charity, you should get your sister to contact her cell provider (ie the provider she got her phone from). As long as she is current with her account, they should unlock the phone. It is usually very quick.

@GinYVR wrote:

@geopublic There is no unlock code for iPhones. All iPhones' status (locked / unlocked and with which provider etc) are stored in a database by Apple (They verify when you setup the phone).

@GinYVR  Noted. Sorry not part of the iHerd. Unlock code or having the previous provider update the Apple database server thus unlocking the phone same difference in my book. Smiley Happy

@geopublic There is no unlock code for iPhones. All iPhones' status (locked / unlocked and with which provider etc) are stored in a database by Apple (They verify when you setup the phone).

It cost more than $10 to unlock the phone via 3rd party, especially Canadian iPhones. The $10 is usually a small circuit board that slip beteen the SIM and iPhone.. those things can be pesky and usually get disabled once a new iOS comes out. Not to mention since the iPhones these days are very slim, if the PCB gets dislodged you will need to take apart the phone to retrieve it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Charity wrote:

Good morning 

I just returned to Canada after 9 yrs in South America. I have an iphone my sister gave me to use. I am having trouble unlocking it so i can use the public mobile sim card..... any suggestions?

Some of the older iPhones are now obsolete and won't work on the Public Mobile network. Apple has even stopped support for some of them. Which model do you have ?

@Charity wrote:

Canada 

@Charity  If the phone is from Canada then you can get the unlock code  it unlocked from the provider that you sister was using. What type of iPhone is it?

Charity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Canada 

lukealex121
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You’ll have to contact the previous carrier of the phone, (who it is locked to), who will unlock it for you for free, per the CRTC Consumer Code (given that it is a Canadian carrier). If you are unable to determine this, you may be able to use an unlocking service online for a small fee. Some “phone repair” stores will also unlock phones for ~$10 or so. 

Once you do this, you’ll be provided with a code, which can be entered when it prompts you to after inserting the PM SIM card and restarting the phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Charity  where is the phone from?

Need Help? Let's chat.