cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock Phone

peteryanos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just bought a new phone this week and apparently it wasn't unlocked. Can I get @CS_Agent to help me with this please. If I could get it done within the hour that would be amazing. Thanks All!

15 REPLIES 15

@tehowennathe wrote:

In future it's always best to buy an unlocked phone from a store such as Best Buy or Walmart. If you want more choices use the Best Buy website. I got my Galaxy J5 two years ago from Best Buy online and they have many phones for under $300 all brand new. With sites such as Kijiji or EBay you run the risk of stolen phone. Always best to buy from a trusted store rather then a person you don't know. 

You're absolutely right about the risks involved.  However, purchasing from a private person means that the price is most likely to be lower, often significantly. One needs to factor the potential risk involved in the price that he/she is willing to pay.  It's all about percentages, averages, and probability, and there's a certain point where if you pay below a certain price, you'll still come out ahead, even if you do have an average number of devices that you've purchased do eventually end up being blacklisted.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In future it's always best to buy an unlocked phone from a store such as Best Buy or Walmart. If you want more choices use the Best Buy website. I got my Galaxy J5 two years ago from Best Buy online and they have many phones for under $300 all brand new. With sites such as Kijiji or EBay you run the risk of stolen phone. Always best to buy from a trusted store rather then a person you don't know. 

akrit

Yeah I hope it will work soon for you.

Best of luck @peteryanos.

Did it work?

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh my. I guess he added that in. Good luck with your new phone! Use this one as a backup and always check the IMEI next time.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dezn wrote:

What phone do you currently have if I may ask?

I'm sure there are ways to unlocky your phone and you can try bringing your device to telus and ask if they can do it for you for a fee. Or check online for unlocking that would be my only advice. I'm also currently buying a new phone.

@dezn they already answered what phone (Galaxy S5).  Since the phone is locked to Telus, there is no need to unlock it to use with Public Mobile (nor Koodo). However, PM actually could unlock this phone since it was from Telus.  However, that actually isn't the problem.  The problem actually is....

@peteryanos wrote:

It said it had been reported stolen or lost so RIP

@peteryanos that is most unfortunate.  I'm sorry you got scammed like this.  People suck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

peteryanos

It said it had been reported stolen or lost so RIP

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What phone do you currently have if I may ask?

I'm sure there are ways to unlocky your phone and you can try bringing your device to telus and ask if they can do it for you for a fee. Or check online for unlocking that would be my only advice. I'm also currently buying a new phone.

@peteryanos wrote:

Hmm, I think I just wasted money 😞

@peteryanosDon't think, be sure. Check your IMEI number in the site provided above. There are many other problems that might be preventing your service from working besides a black-listed phone.

peteryanos

Hmm, I think I just wasted money 😞

@peteryanos wrote:

Ok sorry about that long day. I bought the phone from kijiji, it is locked to telus.

@peteryanosHow do you know the phone is locked to telus?  A telus locked phone will still work with public mobile, it does not need to be unlocked.

Public mobile is telus, so if the phone is not working, the phone is probably stolen. Can you check your IMEI number to make sure its not stolen? If its not stolen we can help you figure out why its not working however, a not stolen, telus phone will work here.

Enter your IMEI number in the link below

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Kijiji is the best place to sell lost / stolen property. Buying a cell phone outside of a authorized dealer / party you know always carries risks, even if not today, maybe tomorrow it can be reported as lost or stolen and at the point you lose every cent you paid since there is no recourse.

peteryanos

oh sorry forgot it is a samsung galaxy A5 

peteryanos

Ok sorry about that long day. I bought the phone from kijiji, it is locked to telus.

@peteryanos wrote:

I am sorry but I am coming to you to unlock a phone will you do it or not? It doesn't matter whether I bought it new or used. I have a plan with you guys and I was expecting you guys to be helpful.

@peteryanosI do not work for public mobile, I am a customer like you trying to help you by explaining how it is. Public mobile does not offer any unlocking services. Even if you wished to pay them its not a service they are set up to do so its not possible. It's like going to the gas station and asking them to fix your engine but you complain they sell you gas, so they should be able to fix your engine.

If you answer my questions I might be able to help you get it unlocked by multiple other methods.

Where did you purchase the phone?

What kind of phone is it? (be specific)

peteryanos

I am sorry but I am coming to you to unlock a phone will you do it or not? It doesn't matter whether I bought it new or used. I have a plan with you guys and I was expecting you guys to be helpful.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@peteryanos wrote:

Hi, I just bought a new phone this week and apparently it wasn't unlocked. Can I get @CS_Agent to help me with this please. If I could get it done within the hour that would be amazing. Thanks All!

@peteryanos  Where did you buy the phone from?

Unlocking a phone has nothing to do with public mobile or their moderator team.

When you buy a phone from a 3rd party (kijiji, ebay, etc) , unless that party unlocked the phone before selling it to you or purchased the phone unlocked themselves it will be locked to whatever network they were using.

Need Help? Let's chat.