cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique Phones

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm curious who has a phone not typically available through a carrier or Canada, and are you satisfied with it?

I currently have a Pixel, but wouldn't mind something different from the usual Samsung, LG, iPhone, Pixel, etc.

12 REPLIES 12

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rossputin : You're welcome 🙂 Every phone is a slab now, so the hidden-front-cam phones can be a nice change. I'm a big fan of the concept, sadly it seems short lived... (I hate the hole punch/teardrop design 😡)

@softech : Yeah, I already mention the pricacy part lol. As for front cam usage, the screen only slides down ~1cm so it doesn't change the way you handle it, feels the same as any slab phone lol. You can check some youtube reviews for it, they will better explain/showcase this.

@fujiyama wrote:

We got a Mi Mix 3 for a family member,  mainly for the hidden front camera. The slider is fun to play with, haha. Hardware is overkill for a regular user, still very snappy. MIUI 12 also has an interesting privacy setting fwiw...

And yes, getting a Xiaomi for privacy reasons seems to be counterintuitive lol, but the hidden front camera is what we wanted for this clumsy non-techie user.

Privacy and Xiaomi.. something not add up.. 🤔

for the Hidden camera, sliding the whole screen is an interesting concept.  Just worry it's hard to hold when taking pictures.  Used a "Slide" Blackberry (9800) before, the weight just not even and sometimes a bit hard to hold.  For keyboard typing, you still have both hands on the phone, for taking selfie, many time just one hard...not sure if it is easy to "tip".   What's your experience?

rossputin

Ooooh. Never heard of them. I look forward to researching them. Thanks.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We got a Mi Mix 3 for a family member,  mainly for the hidden front camera. The slider is fun to play with, haha. Hardware is overkill for a regular user, still very snappy. MIUI 12 also has an interesting privacy setting fwiw...

And yes, getting a Xiaomi for privacy reasons seems to be counterintuitive lol, but the hidden front camera is what we wanted for this clumsy non-techie user.

@rossputin wrote:

I'm curious who has a phone not typically available through a carrier or Canada, and are you satisfied with it?

I currently have a Pixel, but wouldn't mind something different from the usual Samsung, LG, iPhone, Pixel, etc.

As you're looking to have a model that is unique and uncommon, you're not likely to receive much feedback.  If a model isn't all that common, there won't be many people using it and you won't know if the that product is any good.  Part of the review process of any product has to do with the volume of reviews left for it, the more of which will provide more information and more accurate infromation about how satisfied buyers were with it. Importing a cell phone model that isn't sold in Canada is an option, but often, there will little or no warranty for such a product.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rossputin 

so, you just want to try a different brand? or you are looking for a phone in a specific price range?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to bore you 🙂

rossputin

Anymore? I'd hoped this would be a more interesting topic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : I have a Samsung A31 that apparently was for the UAE market. Unless I root it, I can't seem to get it out. When I pull the menu down twice from the top, the date includes some Arabic or something wording. And I miss the automatic flip in/out of cell data for sending/receiving MMS that my old Samsung S7 had.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I'm very happy with umidigi, i didn't originally get it but a family member and i end up using it, instead i gave him money for newer model so we're both happy with it

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

I used one of these - I would not necessarily recommend it, however.

https://www.pinterest.ca/amp/pin/279786195584510308/

The thing had amazing sound quality for calling and was virtually indestructible.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

I have a moto g7+ I bought in December from B&H for US$119 (currently $170 cdn all in) and is still on sale the last i looked. The only down side is its the new NA version with a single sim. I could not find it  available here only the international dual sim version that was available on best buy refurbished for $249. Great camera, battery and very little bloatware. Easy to operate, big screen and light. You may want to look at the new Umidigi A9 phones on Amazon.ca that also have some good reviews and were priced the other day on sale for $40 off at $229.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-4150mAh-Capacity-Smartphone/dp/B08QVDD5BJ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1...

Need Help? Let's chat.