cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use data

dewlife
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up with Public mobile for unlimited call, text and 2GB data plan. However my data is not working. Please suggest. I have LG V20 Phone

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dewlife has this phone been used at another provider?  Some LG models--and I'm not sure if the V20 is one of them but kind of think it might be--seem to require a factory reset in order for data to work after changing providers at least some of the time.  Freedom/Wind seems to be one of the bigger ones that causes issues when leaving their network and using the phone elsewhere, they often need to be factory reset.  

Obviously, this is an extreme that you'd probably rather avoid.  I would try a few other things first:

1) If possible, if you have access to another phone that is compatible with the Telus network PM runs on (at least 850MHz and 1900MHz aka B2 and B5 3G network frequencies) and is either unlocked or is locked to Telus or Koodo, please try your SIM in that phone to see if you get data.  If you do, then it's definitely an issue with your phone.  If you don't, you may want to reach out to the moderator team to check your account to make sure things are okay on their end.  Activation glitches do happen from time to time.

If you don't have access to another device (even for a few mins to borrow a friend's, colleague's, family member's device that meets the above criteria), then you may want to private message the moderators anyway just to double-check the activation.  More info at the bottom of this reply.

2) Verify you've got your mobile data turned on (it's easy to turn it off by accident on many Android phones--I've done it a few times in the past on my old Moto X by accient so I speak from experience)

3) Check your APN settings as noted above

4) Can you find a Network Reset opiton in your phone's settings?  I don't have an LG phone handy to look, but on my OnePlus 5T on Android Oreo, if I use the search feature in my settings app, I can easily locate it:

Screenshot_20180212-102124.jpg     Screenshot_20180212-102134.jpg

You will have to reconnect to all your Wi-Fi network(s) and Bluetooth device(s) afterward, but it's still less disruptive than a factory reset!

5) Probably time to try a factory reset.  I understand LG has a proprietary backup app that can help you back up all the data you wish to keep, since factory reset will wipe your phone clean as if it just came out of the box.  Do be sure to back up anything you want to keep that isn't already backed up or synced to a cloud-based service.  Then reset.

Hopefully something in this list helps!

If you do want to reach out to the moderator team to check your activation status, here's all the info you need:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:00pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
Additional Useful Information:
  • Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

If the outgoing call works, then need to setup APN. 

Otherwise its phone setup issue. sim card, phone etc.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Assuming the account set up process went through without issue and the phone is able to connect to the network, the likely issue affecting data is the APN settings.  Please take a look at this post and follow the steps to make sure the proper APN settings have been applied. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

Need Help? Let's chat.