cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock SIM

StraudBeryl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Transferred phone number from Rogers to PublicMobile 3 or so hours ago.
Overview displays account status as Active.
Utilizing Samsung Galaxy s5

4 digit pin is not what I set it to be during registration and I'm unsure of where it's kept to even make sure it's correct. My phone is now asking for the Master unlock code and I've no idea what to do next.

10 REPLIES 10

Stuntman733

I needed the network unlock code as well. I had to call Fido to get the code. I got the phone through them 10 years ago. I tried to go through Samsung, but the EMEI was apparently not a Canadian one. Even though the phone was supplied through Fidi in Canada. So I got the code from Fido and entered the 8 digit pin. Within 2 minutes I received a text saying welcome to Public Mobile .

Once the code was entered, everything went smooth and is working fine.

By the way,  my phone is a Galaxy S4.

Mon_133
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

- Get phone's IMEI number (This can be retrieved from Settings > About Phone) 

- Contact phone provider and retrieve unlock code 

- Retrieve Master unlock code from company of the phone (example: Samsung phones; customer service 1800-726-7864)

1. Insert the SIM card to be used, then the Windows comes out,"SIM network unlock PIN when different carrier SIM".(If this is not shown, proceed with step 2)
2. Enter the MCK code (Note: Only one time chance, please do not make a mistake).
3. Unsuccessful message comes out, "Network unlock request unsuccessful".
4. Now, enter NCK (first) code right after step 3.
5. Successful message comes out, "Network unlock successful".

Glad to help you out and good to know your phone is working.

StraudBeryl

@Triguy 

This was the one to help the most! Thank you! I was able to talk via chat with one of the representatives and solve the issue.

Thank you.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@StraudBeryl wrote:

4 digit pin is not what I set it to be during registration and I'm unsure of where it's kept to even make sure it's correct. My phone is now asking for the Master unlock code and I've no idea what to do next.

@StraudBeryl  If it's asking you for the Master unlock code you need to go to the Samsung website and start a support chat session and they will provide you with the code taht you need.

@StraudBeryl wrote:

As @will13am was saying, your phone is locked to Rogers.  This situation is a little more complicated than the phone just being unlocked. Someone has tried unsuccessfully multiple times to unlock this device.  This means that the device will not accept the regular unlocking code.  The master code will need to be used first to re-enable your ability to use the regular unlocking code. You will need to get both codes now.  When a phone asks for "sim network unlock PIN", that is not the PIN of your Public Mobile account that your device is asking for.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@StraudBeryl wrote:

Although Samsung Galaxy s5 was unlocked, but the problem is Samsung Galaxy s5 will be locked to first Sim card, for instance in your case was Rogers .If your Samsung Galaxy s5 was from Rogers you can ask Rogers give you unlock key, otherwise you need to contact Samsung to give you unlock key.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could try contacting Samsung.

Samsung is giving unlock codes for free 

1. Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170
  2. Inform the rep that you would like to unlock your S5 and provide the IMEI & Carrier info
  3. In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@StraudBeryl, I think this means the phone is SIM locked to Rogers.  You should be able to obtain the unlock code from Rogers free of charge. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@StraudBeryl Are you sure your S5 is unlocked or locked to Telus/Koodo? 

Need Help? Let's chat.