cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to text my wife's phone number

livyer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently bought two Google Pixel 3 and Public Mobile plans for both. Texts I send from my new phone to her phone do not go through. I can, however, text her from my old iPhone and she can text both my new phone and my old phone from her phone.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@livyer wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, but it doesn't address my problem. I might not have been clear. Here is the situation:

1. I bought two new Pixel 3s, one for my wife and one for me.

2. I bought Public Mobile plans for each.

3. My wife can text or call me.

4. I can call my wife, but cannot text her (I send texts, but she does not receive them).

5. My wife can send/receive texts with others.

6. I can send/receive texts with others.

If there are no further iOS devices in the mix here, then I think there's no need to de-register from iMessage (which you can do here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/) as recommended by some.  It's only iOS devices that might try to originate an iMessage, but even then, they would fall back to SMS.

As a case of TL;DR, I'm wondering if it's feasible to swap SIMs between the phones and seeing if messaging each other works.  If @livyer's SIM in Mrs. livyer's phone is able to text livyer's phone (with Mrs. livyer's SIM), then it quickly isolates the issue to configuration of either phone (either blocked/masked on the outbound on livyer's phone, or on the inbound on Mrs. livyer's phone).  I'm not familiar with blocking SMS on Android, so just speculating here.  Having another phone to try livyer's SIM in (to SMS Mrs. livyer's phone) would be helpful in further isolating the issue.

Up and comer??? Do you know how old I am???  I should be a senior giving expert technical (over their head) advice to other seniors!!! And while not offended I cannot help with MicroSoft or Android. Been there, done that, never again. Smiley Happy

@88cranston  LOL....I only meant up and comer because you are relatively new to public mobile/community. I do bow to your superior technical knowledge especially due to your apparent age?!! Which I will need to access to finally finish setting up my neighbour's phone sometime this weekend.

MrHelp

Did you port an old phone number to public mobile? If so, then you will have to send PM moderators your previous account number to fix the issue for you. You could also try a new number, PM will generate options for new numbers based on your location/area of residence.

I don't think the issue is with the phones themsevles, especially if PM is already active on both new phones. 

Good luck!

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@livyer  I think your best bet right now would be a direct appeal to @CalgaryBen  the resident Iphone expert along with @GinYVR  who is very good or up and comer @88cranston .

Smiley Happy Up and comer??? Do you know how old I am???  I should be a senior giving expert technical (over their head) advice to other seniors!!! And while not offended I cannot help with MicroSoft or Android. Been there, done that, never again. Smiley Happy

Although just out of logic my offer to help would be:

1. For some reason can the wife's phone block texts only from a specific number?

2. Does he have his wife's number correctly? Looks like he does?

3. Do a carrier Reset OR Reset his phone and start it up from scratch OR put his SIM in another phone and she if she now receives texts from him.

@livyer wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, but it doesn't address my problem. I might not have been clear. Here is the situation:

4. I can call my wife, but cannot text her (I send texts, but she does not receive them).

I hope someone can help with this, as it is quite frustrating.

Thanks,

@livyer  I think your best bet right now would be a direct appeal to @CalgaryBen  the resident Iphone expert along with @GinYVR  who is very good or up and comer @88cranston .

livyer

Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this, as it is quite frustrating.

Thanks,

amberhancock_me

Can you confirm texting from your new Pixel with new number, to any other # works?

You only confirmed texting to your old phone so far. Just trying to confirm your outgoing service on new phone is GTG.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Not only is this worth trying, it is a must. @srlawren @Anonymous are correct in saying it needs to be derigistered. You can do it with the iphone or via a computer through the icloud account. Because you still have the ipad which you probably had set up to use you phone to make and receive text, calls / facetime, your number needs to be removed from there too.

Don’t forget AE_collector (said that too)...

@krazykiwi hasn’t said therevis an associated ipad on the same Apple ID, I just gave that example of the mess I got into!

Terry

That was my mistake but I meant it just in case they do have other Apple products linked to the phone number.

@krazykiwi wrote:

Not only is this worth trying, it is a must. @srlawren @Anonymous are correct in saying it needs to be derigistered. You can do it with the iphone or via a computer through the icloud account. Because you still have the ipad which you probably had set up to use you phone to make and receive text, calls / facetime, your number needs to be removed from there too.

Don’t forget AE_collector (said that too)...

@krazykiwi hasn’t said there is an associated ipad on the same Apple ID, I just gave that example of the mess I got into!

Terry

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous I may have missed the new number detail in my haste.  Even still, I think you're right that it's worth "try"ing.  Robot LOL

But they have new phones and new numbers. I'm not inclined to assert that it's a must. I'm still standing on "try".

If it doesn't fix the problem then they would of course need to re-register back to iMessage.

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous I may have missed the new number detail in my haste.  Even still, I think you're right that it's worth "try"ing.  Robot LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@livyer wrote:

Yes, only I had the old iPhone. I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the iPhone from your Apply device list." I am typing the number directly to text, not using contacts or anything. Both Pixels are new and have new numbers. 

I don't know how Apple intercepts texts from the world but try this. Once in, they hold on.

@livyer yes this is what you need to do.  More details here at iMore: https://www.imore.com/how-to-disable-deactivate-imessage-iphone-ipad

@srlawren 

I used the slightly hedging word "try". I'm not sure about this exact situation where they have new phones and new numbers. Apple has never seen these. So I dunno. Or I've misunderstood things. Not the first time when it comes to Apple.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@livyer wrote:

Yes, only I had the old iPhone. I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the iPhone from your Apply device list." I am typing the number directly to text, not using contacts or anything. Both Pixels are new and have new numbers. 

I don't know how Apple intercepts texts from the world but try this. Once in, they hold on.

@livyer yes this is what you need to do.  More details here at iMore: https://www.imore.com/how-to-disable-deactivate-imessage-iphone-ipad

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@livyer wrote:

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@livyer wrote:

I recently bought two Google Pixel 3 and Public Mobile plans for both. Texts I send from my new phone to her phone do not go through. I can, however, text her from my old iPhone and she can text both my new phone and my old phone from her phone.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks.

Just perhaps she's blocked you --- ha  ha ha 

Ninja0628

Check to see if the number is blocked:

• Open your Phone app phone
  • Tap on More  More
  • Tap on Settings > Call blocking
  • Make sure the numbers aren’t blocked. If they are tap the “X” beside it

Else

• Delete them from your Contacts app.
  • Delete the conversation you have with that contact in your Messages.
  • Turn off your Google Pixel for 10 seconds, then turn it back on.
  • Re-add them into your Contact list and try to text them again.

@livyer 

Use your old iphone.  iMessage settings and remove your. phone number from send/receive text.  

Might works afterwards.

Do you still have other apple devices? Apple devices send text messages by data rather than on the voice control channel when talking to one another. I had an iPhone and an iPad on one Apple ID. iPhone screen quit working so I moved my sim to my previous android device and I stopped getting texts from many people because something thought text messages could still be delivered by data to me. I Had to delete the iPhone from my Apple device list somewhere in settings. Sorry I am so vague about it.

Terry

livyer

livyer

That's what I am doing and it isn't working. I am using the "Messages" app that came with the Pixel.

She didn’t have an old iPhone, only you did? Sounds like you may need to remove the iPhone from your Apple  device list? This confuses the heck out of me so others may be better able to describe problem. I still get some texts but not all texts since switching back to my old Android and away from my iPhone.

Terry

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@livyer  Try entering the number directly and send a text. Does it work? Are you using Google's native app for SMS? If not, you should because it supports RCS.

livyer

Yes, I can, for example, text my old iPhone.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@livyer 

Are you able to text other phones with your new Pixel?  Other funcitons like talk and data work?

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Toggle airplane mode on, wait a few minutes and then off.  

Need Help? Let's chat.