cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send or receive texts when off wifi

liette23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I recently started on 15$ plan and have not been able to receive or send texts when out and not on wifi. Can you tell me what settings I should have on my iphone in regards to Imessage, SMS etc. Do I need to have data turned on when out to use texting? I understand Imessage only works when on wifi or data but shouldn't messages still come through and be able to send on SMS with no Data?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you’re experiencing the issue with your messages only working when you have an internet connection on your iPhone, then this problem is due to iMessage. If you don’t have a mobile data plan or turn your cellular data off occasionally, you might be getting messages only when connected to the internet.

• If you don’t have a data plan, or turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead. To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.
  • If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:
    • Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
    • Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
    • Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
    • Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
    • Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

If you’re still having trouble, you can contact your network service provider or Apple Support. They can provide you with more information as well as troubleshooting for the issue.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@liette23 

iMessage needs data to be turned on to send  or receive texts from other iPhone users.  iMessage does not use up a lot of data, so it is easiest to leave data on.  

Here is some additional information from an older thread:

Part 1:
imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.

• Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive
  1. Your settings should be:
    • Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
    • Start new conversations from: Phone Number

Part 2:
Turn on Send as SMS

• Go to Settings> Messages

Explanation:
If you're sending/receiving imessages to/from your apple ID, and not a phone number, you can't send as SMS.
Also, the phone number used here is taken from  Settings>Phone>My Number. If you changed your phone number, sometimes this section doesn't populate your new number, and would then still send imessages from your old number. Same thing goes for FaceTime.

*Edit - it's an Apple ID issue, not a provider issue*

Turn cellular data and roaming ON. That will allow MMS messaging to non-iphones. There will be no data charges.

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset ov Apple serviers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

Need Help? Let's chat.