cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive sms

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello! 

For the last three hours I've been unable to receive sms! I can send them, and even receive MMS of the texts that I'm not getting, but for some reason, I'm not getting any texts. 

I've power cycled my phone twice, turned it off and back on, as well as removed my sim card and reinserted. 

Any ideas? Any posts that I'm missing about something along these lines? 

Edit : 

I've checked a bunch of stuff online and it seems the only thing I can do is factory reset my phone and if it's still happening, it's a network thing. 

But apparently it's very common. 

20 REPLIES 20

Beth_P
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

t=This is exactly my problem, i cannot receive SMS messages, had a US roaming add on that expired today.  SOOOOO annoying that this 'glitch' occurs when returning to Canada.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thomasn83 wrote:

Is this bug still alive and well? I am experiencing the same thing (not recieving texts) and my US roaming (text/data) expired today. 

@thomasn83 yes it's still around unfortunately.  If you can't wait the 24 hours for it to self-resolve, please contact the moderator team via private message and ask them to manually remove your expired US Roaming Texting add-on from your account.  Here's the details:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Clefort88
@thomasn83
It's been sorted yes. Once the add on fully expired, my texts were back to normal.

thomasn83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is this bug still alive and well? I am experiencing the same thing (not recieving texts) and my US roaming (text/data) expired today. 

srlawren

@Clefort88 wrote:
I did yeah. Apparently the expires today. I honestly didn't think that it would have been the cause, as it didn't happen earlier in the year when I had the US roaming texting

@Clefort88 it probably happened back then too but you didn't notice.  It can take "up to" 24 hours to self-correct, so it may have happened much quicker that time, OR, nobody tried to text you during the time you were affected, OR, they did and you just didn't notice because they never asked you why you're not responding.  

That's actually the worst part of this bug--anything sent to you during the affect time frame is completely lost.  So you'll never know unless somoene that texted you follows up.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Clefort88 wrote:
@wetcoasterwas the winner on that one.
It was a bug from the US roaming add on text package that I had purchased.

Glad it's sorted.

(And winner??? I didn't realise that this was a competition??? LOL  )

Clefort88
@wetcoaster was the winner on that one.
It was a bug from the US roaming add on text package that I had purchased.

Clefort88
As for the iPhone, I did remove my number and info from iCloud and iMessage services.

Not a worry there. I’ve been using my new phone without any issues for just under a month.

I think Wetcoaster does have it sorted.
It’s just after midnight here right now but I’ll wait until the morning.

@wetcoaster Has nailed it for you I think.  The US roaming addon has a bug that stops incoming txts on expiry.

As suggested, it should resolve overnight if this is the day it expired.

in the morning, reboot your phone.  If it still doesn’t work, contact the mods to remove the expired addon.

@Clefort88, did you turn off iMessage on your iPhone before switching to your Android?  This sounds like your number is still linked to iMessage and FaceTime, and folks who are also on iPhones will still see you as a blue bubble friend.

As you still have the iPhone, pop your sim in, and make sure you’ve disabled the phone number on the two apps.  If your iCloud or other email address is listed, you can still use those for iMessage and FaceTime.

Clefort88
Ruuuuuude hahahaha
I have popped the SIM into my iPhone and it definitely is not working still. Receiving MMS and sending texts, not a problem, but receiving just basic texts.....haha not a chance.

@Clefort88 wrote:
I did yeah. Apparently the expires today. I honestly didn't think that it would have been the cause, as it didn't happen earlier in the year when I had the US roaming texting

Well, then patience might be in order, young grasshopper 😉 - everything could be back to normal tomorrow! I think those glitches can just hit at random.

Clefort88

Clefort88

I was using Textra but switched back to Samsung sms app to see if that was the issue.

I've gone ahead and factory reset my phone and I am still unable to receive texts.

I will try my SIM in my old iPhone 6 to see if that is the issue. 

I will definitely message the mods if that doesn't work either. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Clefort88

Did you use a US roaming add-on? There are reports that upon return / add-on expiry the text function can act up for up to 24 hours before it resolves itself.

If it's not resolved by tomorrow contact the mods as mentioned by @Anonymous. They can manually reset it.

mimmo

If you have an old phone or a friends/family member try swapping sims.  If the issue doesn't happen when your sim is in their .phone you have a  hardware issue if it still happens it is an account back end issue.

It could also resolve itself over night.

Have you attempted to use another SMS client?  Texra, Google Hangouts, Allo and Google Messages are some you could try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Clefort88, sudden loss of service, especially for one specific thing (incomming SMS), is very unusual if you haven't done anything on your end (on the phone).  I suggest that you send a private mesage to the moderator team so that they can look into it in the morning.  If somehow you get the problem resolved overnight, then even better.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Clefort88
I have a Galaxy A5 2017.
I've been with PM since Sept of 2017. My plan renewed on the 1st, same plan I've had for the last 6 months.
It's only been in the last 3 hours that I've not received any texts.

Korade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What phone do you have? What plan are you on? Did you by any chance port your number recently?

I suspect that the issue may be with your phone and not the service, because if you can send them perfectly fine, the receiving should be unlimited and free on PM's end.

Need Help? Let's chat.