cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive MMS on Flip Phone

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

I've been fiddling with my flip phone for about 20-30 minutes it seems and cannot get the thing to receive test pictures. It's not a huge deal, I only wish to use my phone as a phone but the simple fact that I cannot get something to work as intended irks me.

The pictures are side ways, which I did not intend.

MODEL Samsung SGH C414

IMG_20190419_134826.jpgIMG_20190419_134846.jpg

33 REPLIES 33

Barryere

I get it.

Out with the old, in with the new. My problem with that is that sometimes old technology can be better than new technology. Just because something's old don't make it dead nor does new make something better.

I don't intend to use the phone for things outside of calls, texts and Google (since I can find company/business numbers that way).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

If I may, I'd like to make one final note in this thread.

While I did say that the "Home URL" that I posted works, I changed it to a few different websites to experiment and given the age of the phone and the outdated certifications it only makes sense that the phone actually will not open many websites. However, I switched the Home URL to google.com and it worked. The phone seems good for looking up company numbers, doctors, etc, but visiting most websites will likely not work.

Small Note: Adding "S" to http as a means to try to establish a better connection will still result in the phone saying unsecure connection. Smiley LOL

You can post on however you like 🙂

Yeah as browsers get older and don't get any updates, they become less able to handle new-fangled web site codes. Don't do any secure things on it either.

I still think one of your other URL's ought to have mb/ in there as I posted earlier but hey if it works...

Barryere

If I may, I'd like to make one final note in this thread.

While I did say that the "Home URL" that I posted works, I changed it to a few different websites to experiment and given the age of the phone and the outdated certifications it only makes sense that the phone actually will not open many websites. However, I switched the Home URL to google.com and it worked. The phone seems good for looking up company numbers, doctors, etc, but visiting most websites will likely not work.

Small Note: Adding "S" to http as a means to try to establish a better connection will still result in the phone saying unsecure connection. Smiley LOL

Barryere

Lets not get argumentative.

It's possible that the person speculating about APN settings may not have fully read the thread / skimmed it and therefore doesn't know.

In any case, I have found the solution to my phone and possibly for other flip phones which can be found by clicking "Go to Solution" on page 1 at the top of the page.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407  did you even  read the thread? If the poster saisd there is apn setting why would you ask are there apn settings?

Barryere

I'd like to point out something about my flip phone, which may be different for anyone else, but on my phone, there is no way to enable or disable data, data will automatically activate on its own when it detects that it needs to be used; normally there is an icon at the top-left of my screen, a blue box with "3G" in it, and when data is activated, this will turn from blue to red and have a sort of signal/WIFI wave protruding out of it from the right side while it receives or sends data.

FOR THE RECORD

Barryere

I finally got it working..!

Hopefully this can help out any other flip phone users.

SETTINGS USED AS FOLLOWS (BOTH FOR BROWSER AND MMS):

Set name: Public Mobile (quite honestly, does the naming of this REALLY matter?)
Access name: sp.mb.com

Auth type: None

Protocol: HTTP

HOME Url: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

Proxy Address: 74.49.0.18:80

Linger TIme (Sec.): 300

"Advanced" to be left untouched.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

There are 3 pre-installed APNs for Telus as my phone is apparently an unlocked Telus phone.

However for browsing and MMS/texting I made a profile for PM.

Okay, what does the MMS profile for Telus look like?  We can try to "adapt" it to Public Mobile.

This is it VERBATIM

Set name: TELUS MMS

Access Name: sp.telus.com

Auth type: None (user and pass are grayed out)

Home URL: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

Linger Time (Sec.): 300

Everything under "Advanced" is grayed out.

Did you get anything default for the Protocol: MMS?

Are you sure about that Home URL:? There might be mb/ after proxy/ and before mmsc.

Can you list the exact fields like you just did here but for the MMS version?

Barryere

@will13am wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

There are 3 pre-installed APNs for Telus as my phone is apparently an unlocked Telus phone.

Okay, what does the MMS profile for Telus look like?  We can try to "adapt" it to Public Mobile.

This is it VERBATIM

Set name: TELUS MMS

Access Name: sp.telus.com

Auth type: None (user and pass are grayed out)

Home URL: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

Linger Time (Sec.): 300

Everything under "Advanced" is grayed out.

looalexanderp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You are correct, text messages (SMS), do not require cellular data to be enabled.

However, for picture and/or video messaging you must enable Cellular Data in settings as well as MMS (Multi-Media Messaging). If your plan does not include data you will not be billed extra. 

Leave a message if you still have any more questions!

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't know much about flip phones but Data needs to be turned on for MMS messages even if your plan does not include data.  SMS = data does not need to be on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

I'll put this here just because there's some slim similarity between these phones.

I have an older Nokia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1. It has two different places for APN's. One called Internet and the other called MMS. There was initially a setting for manual that was off where the data didn't work (or MMS). So I set it to manual and now I can adjust the two APN's.

The Internet one just has the sp.mb.com. No other settings of note. It says Proxy server (URL) here (it's blank).

The MMS one has the same as above but it says WAP gateway (URL) instead where I put in the familiar ip address and port and also the familiar MMSC (URL) and MMSC port.

Maybe something can be gleaned from that.

@Barryere wrote:

Barryere

@Barryere wrote:

When going into MMS profiles, it takes you to APN profiles, which in turn takes you to whatever profile you are seeking... in this case, Public Mobile.

There really isn't many settings to be changed, so it's a matter of knowing what to type and where to type it.

Have you selected the so called  <service provider> MMS as referred to on page 137 of the user manual?  The data fields don't line up with what is required for MMS.  All that is needed for MMS is the MMSC and MMS proxy.  

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201501/20150129235029808/C414M_UG_ENG_Web.pdf

@will13am wrote:

Looking at the APN entries for this phone, I am a little confused.  The URL seems to be for the proxy server for data, not the MMS proxy.  Is there additional entries for MMS settings?

Seems like there is a profile entry and within that profile there are HTTP and MMS settings respectively for each profile.

Barryere

When going into MMS profiles, it takes you to APN profiles, which in turn takes you to whatever profile you are seeking... in this case, Public Mobile.

There really isn't many settings to be changed, so it's a matter of knowing what to type and where to type it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Looking at the APN entries for this phone, I am a little confused.  The URL seems to be for the proxy server for data, not the MMS proxy.  Is there additional entries for MMS settings?

GR
Mayor / Maire

I configured 2 of those phones a few months back, took trial and error for a few days but the fix was after u go in settings and change all the apn to public mobile you have to go in messaging and setting and picture message I believe and and a few settings in there and then hit activate and restart the phone!  I had it that the phones could receive the pictures but they couldn't send them but after a while it worked 

Barryere

I'm trying out WAP but retrieval fails, haha.

That thread correlating to my phone is ongoing without an actual solution, I guess I'll try to keep up to it or keep on fiddling with my phone to see if I can figure it out and share.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

That geo person mentioned "idle mode".

And as for protocols, the phone has HTTP and WAP, I've tried both and nothing.

My Windows Phone used a thing called WAP for MMS. Focus on that. The WAP was the same ip address and port.

What do you mean it was the same IP address and port? The same as which IP and port?

Same as what you did for http.

@Barryere wrote:

At any rate, I've fiddled around quite a bit without any real progress. The browser seems to connect but pictures won't download.

Maybe this will help. See MMS setup section.

Barryere

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

My Windows Phone used a thing called WAP for MMS. Focus on that. The WAP was the same ip address and port.

What do you mean it was the same IP address and port? The same as which IP and port?

Barryere

At any rate, I've fiddled around quite a bit without any real progress. The browser seems to connect but pictures won't download.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I would suggest , setting the APN to default. Then make a new Public Mobile APN. Re-start phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

"Idle mode" meaning your phone is not in use Smiley Happy

Barryere

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

There is no "idle mode" that I can see or tell.

I have 250mb 3G data.

With the current settings I put in the phone (as pictured) I can browse the web.

Where are you getting "idle mode" from?

That Protocol box with the little arrows left and right...is there a way to "move" left and right? Maybe MMS is in there somewhere. Or what options are in there?

Barryere

There is no "idle mode" that I can see or tell.

I have 250mb 3G data.

With the current settings I put in the phone (as pictured) I can browse the web.

Need Help? Let's chat.