cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unable to configure APN settings?

@Jethro82 

There's an unauthorized app available out there. You can also use a SIM from the likes of Roam and Freedom and Speakout.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jethro82 wrote:

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

The device will clearly indicate when Developer Mode is enabled.  It's usually hidden in "Android Version" or "Android Build" - keep tapping them many times - some sort of image or message always appears.  Sometimes a Developer Mode menu with techy options also becomes available under Settings.

On my SKY Selfie Pro a stylized Android logo appeared, tapping it once changed the image colour from green to blue (whatever that means), tapping it a second time made it disappear.  Dev Mode was activated and remained active until I restarted the phone.

Sorry, there's no way to simplify or autoscript the ADB shell.  You just have to read how it's done at the XDA sites and try it yourself.  The advantage is that it allows access to some fine control over hidden OS and SIM settings without having to root the device (or break Google Play).  You may have to repeat the process after major updates.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jethro82 wrote:

On the off chance that someone actually comes back to this thread - I have a Sky Selfie Pro and have downloaded adb to my computer.  Despite entering developer mode by repeatedly pressing the android version and connecting my phone to the computer adb doesn't recognize any devices.  Any advice for what I should use as a driver, being as sky doesn't even list this device on their website?

@Jethro82  You need to turn USB debugging on from the developer mode menu before connecting your phone to your computer you also have to authorize the computer to access your phone via adb.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The standard USB drivers that installed with adb should be fine.

As @geopublic wrote, you need to turn on USB debugging, not just activate developer mode. 

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth- I've done all that.  Did you need to do anything besides put it in developer mode?  I can't seem to find any settings to put it in debug mode specifically.  Also did you just download the 'platform tools' for the developer kit or did you install something?  (I'm downloading the zip for the tools and just running them in the unzipped directory).

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unable to configure APN settings?

Hi,

I have the Sky Pro Selfie phone too (8.1) and I've configured up to this point of the instructions (below).  When I open the ADB shell, there's a lot of command areas for "debugging, wireless, manager, etc...  Where do I enter this command?

Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Mina

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can't enable data either and found this post. This is the response I get when I do this at a shell prompt with su access. I tried with SIM in and SIM out. Not sure what the error message means.

# am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.INSERT dat=content://telephony/carriers }
Error: Activity not started, unable to resolve Intent { act=android.intent.action.INSERT dat=content://telephony/carriers flg=0x10000000 }

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Korth 

So you say to just open an adb shell and type in the command. But I could not find a way to type in the command using the download you linked too, more instruction please

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jesse4 

Quick recap  ...

The instructions are too involved to post here. But the link leads to other links which lead to detailed instructions and guides. I'm not trying to be rude, rather I'm trying to avoid sucking us into 5 pages of technical walk through which have already been discussed quite comprehensively at the xda sites.

Even the ADB shell approach isn't guaranteed to work. Even if done correctly. The OEMs continue to implement new ways of locking end-users out of these settings.

If the easy SIM swap trick doesn't work and the ADB shell trick doesn't work and you're unwilling or unable to root your device then you basically have to choose between another device or another carrier or no data. Or hope that this mysterious file from the PM Mods will fix it for you ... I'd love to see some firsthand confirmation of this from any of these people or from the @Moderator_Team themselves.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jesse4 

What phone do you have and what OS version?

People have had success using a Freedom SIM and a couple others. There is an unofficial app out there called mynewapn or some such thing that has been known to work with some (or one) version(s).

Then yes there's the rumoured file via SMS from the moderators here. But it remains elusive.

Need Help? Let's chat.